Thread: Need a new OBD2 PCM for 1997 Camaro, must be a 16242921

Electronic Ignition!

Need a new OBD2 PCM for 1997 Camaro, must be a 16242921

I believe that I bricked my PCM.I bought 2 others that the store said will work but they didn't. I'm looking for a PCM with the same service numbers on it as shown.

Any one know where I can get one or two?

SERVICE NUMBER 16242921 BTZB

Thank you.

Fuel Injected!
    Hi,

Bricked how? If you have just lost the FLASH content, it can be restored. My opinion is that removing the FLASH for bench programming wrecks the PCM unless the conformal coat is re-applied. Sockets are the worst, please don't consider.

The much less invasive "bootstrap" fix I have outlined will get most bricks working. Exception is where there is physical or electrical damage. I would love to get my hands on a bricked unit to test with but they are rare/expensive and around here, the wreckers just recycle them as metal.

-Tom

Electronic Ignition!
    How? I do not know. Had no issue programming till recently.

Bench programming was my last resort as it would not communicate while in the car.

On the bench It will read the vehicle info but when I try to flash it wont communicate any further. Any ideas?

Fuel Injected!
    From what you have indicated it seems like there is no physical damage... no bent pins on the colored connectors to the outside world, no trickle of water from the gaskets: All that sort of stuff is OK.

Did the PCM start to seem wrong after programming? This is the big question as it helps to show the problem. Excessive voltage or a transient can kill any computer, do you suspect that?

If the programming is at the root of your problem, the unit can be recovered. Should this be the case, it will suggest that your software/hardware used to program is not right.

It becomes an issue of recovering the PCM and the cost of that (in your time/effort) vs replacement. You seem to have had issues with replacement so far. These parts are quite rugged and hard to kill. GM did a good job making them tough. The other units that are bricked... Did you program them also?

Recovery process is outlined in this thread:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...997-F-Body-ECM
    Search for the word "bootstrap" and you will find details on how this is done

You will need some skill with wire and solder and perhaps low level software to pull off the recovery. This all has turned into a sort of hobby for me at this point. If you decide to move forward with this, I may be able to help.

-Tom