Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder select error

Cylinder select error

Doing some more playing around with my test harness in prep for my jeep 4.0 to 7727 swap. When I tested the harness, I was just using a $8D V8 bin and memcal, with minimal mods (disable egr, and error codes, etc..) I then took a V6 7727 memcal and removed the stock prom and sodered in a 27sf512. I burnt the test bin to it and have been using it to test the other ecm's no problem. I also plan to use this memcal in the the swap, since its 6cyl.

Only thing was, all times I tested a ecm, when I would run the distributor, after a few seconds I would get a check engine light for EST failure. I thought maybe I had a bad module, so I swapped it out and still same error code. Then I thought it maybe was because I was using a 6cyl distributor on a 8cyl bin. So I changed the cylinder number to what it should be for a 6cyl. Tried that and now not only do I get the same EST failure code, I now also get a cylinder select error. If this is a V6 memcal, and the cylinder number is set to 6cyl in the bin, why would I get the cylinder select error? And why would I NOT get it when running a V8 bin on a V6 memcal, but DO get it when I switch bin to 6cyl?

And last, would the est failure be because I am not actually running a engine?

Oh yea, heres my poor mans test setup...lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aj9O...ature=youtu.be
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Not sure on the rest but the EST error could be the EST in distributor is not grounded to the test bench harness... the mounting screws that hold EST are the grounds to distributor which is grounded to engine. Couldn't really see if it was in the video.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

When you entered a value in the cyl select scaler, did you enter "6" or the hexidecimal value for 6 cylinder? Many of the XDFs I have come accross are set up to use a hexidecimal value there.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    When you entered a value in the cyl select scaler, did you enter "6" or the hexidecimal value for 6 cylinder? Many of the XDFs I have come accross are set up to use a hexidecimal value there.
    The comments on all the 8D xdf's I have seen say "use 0 for 8 cylinders, use 128 for 4 cylinders, and use 192 for 6 cylinders" So I entered in 192.

Mark, I will double check my ground for the distributor.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I'm wondering if the V6 Memcal will work with $8D, even if the cylinder number is set for a 6 cylinder? I've had cylinder select errors using a 7727 / 7730 V6 Memcal with $8D / V8 distributor. I modified the V6 memcal for V8 service and the cylinder select error went away. I've never tried using a V6 Memcal with a V6 distributor and $8D. An option I think I'd try; use a V6 definition with a V6 Memcal and V6 distributor and verify that setup is without errors.

dave w

I dont think there are any V6 $8D bins out there. The memcal I am using is from a $A1 car. But those are DIS. Are there any 7730/7727 V6 engines that still use a distributor?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I dont think there are any V6 $8D bins out there. The memcal I am using is from a $A1 car. But those are DIS. Are there any 7730/7727 V6 engines that still use a distributor?
    Yes, '90 to '93 3.1 F-body.

But there are no ignition properties in the LHM side of the MEMCAL. In LHM, base timing is used, with no influence from the ECM, so ignition type really doesn't matter for original application.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I've used distributors instead of DIS on the test bench without error. The DIS "Reference High Pulse" is the same signal as the Distributor "Reference High Pulse" being sent to the ECM. I think you will have the same results as I did on your test bench if you send the $A1 definition the V6 Distributor "Reference High Pulse".

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Yes, '90 to '93 3.1 F-body.

But there are no ignition properties in the LHM side of the MEMCAL. In LHM, base timing is used, with no influence from the ECM, so ignition type really doesn't matter for original application.
    Those would be $A1 wouldn't they?

Will $8D even run a 6cyl? If I am getting the cylinder select error with a V6 ($A1) memcal, then what memcal can I use with 8D and a 6cyl? Whats in the memcal that's making this error code pop up?

I chose $8D over $A1 because 8D is for a distributor and A1 is DIS. My engine uses a distributor.

Edit: You are correct, spent some time on google and the camaro 3.1's do use a distributor. Are those still $A1? If so, then A1 was used in both distributor and DIS engines?
    So then, would I be better off using A1 instead of 8D?
    Last edited by JeepsAndGuns; 08-01-2012 at 02:06 AM.

I would try getting $A1 working with a distributor first, then I'd try figure out if there is a way to get $8D to work with a V6. Using a test bench is a good way to figure this stuff out!

dave w

Does anyone have a 7730 camaro 3.1L bin file? I didnt see one listed in the $A1 thread.

Edit: Well it appears those are $88. Why is the 90-93 camaros also listed in the $A1 thread? Was there both $88 and $A1 bin files for those engines in those year ranges?
    Last edited by JeepsAndGuns; 08-01-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Those would be $A1 wouldn't they?

Will $8D even run a 6cyl? If I am getting the cylinder select error with a V6 ($A1) memcal, then what memcal can I use with 8D and a 6cyl? Whats in the memcal that's making this error code pop up?

I chose $8D over $A1 because 8D is for a distributor and A1 is DIS. My engine uses a distributor.

Edit: You are correct, spent some time on google and the camaro 3.1's do use a distributor. Are those still $A1? If so, then A1 was used in both distributor and DIS engines?
    Does anyone have a 7730 camaro 3.1L bin file? I didnt see one listed in the $A1 thread.

Edit: Well it appears those are $88. Why is the 90-93 camaros also listed in the $A1 thread? Was there both $88 and $A1 bin files for those engines in those year ranges?
    As you found the 3.1 V6 F-bodies are $88. No idea why they would be listed in the $A1 thread.

There's no reason why $8D can't be used with a 6 cylinder.

Super Moderator
    IIRC, a lot of the V6Z24 forum guys use 8D on their 3.1/3x00s.

i used to know why GM didn't move the F-bodies to A1, but i can't remember anymore.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

So do we think the cylinder select error might be bin related or memcal related?
    Anyone have a camaro V6 $88 memcal? I will try a $A1 bin on my test harness when I can get a chance, and see what happens.

Just read through dyeager535's tbi knock board thread and it got me thinking.
    Since I am getting the cylinder select error using a $A1 V6 memcal, with a V8 $8D bin with the cylinder count changed to 6 cylinders, and getting the cylinder select error, I wonder if I could use a TBI 7427 4.3 memcal with a PFI jumper wire put in (just like I did for my 7427 mpfi on my cherokee) Wonder if that would get rid of the cylinder select error? A 4.3 is much closer in displacement to my 4.0 than the 3.1, so knock filter may get along better.

Also wondering, what exactly sets the cylinder select error code anyways? And why would I NOT get it running a V8 8D bin, with a A1 V6 memcal, but once I switch the bin to 6 cylinders, I suddenly get the error? Shouldn't it be the other way around?