Thread: VSS from tranny change

Carb and Points!

VSS from tranny change

I am not sure where to post this, but I have a 1991 Roadmaster Wagon with the amazing TBI 305...

My transmission died, so I swapped in a spare 4l60 (non E). This trans was from a 4.3 blazer 2wd, and has a 40 tooth vss reluctor.

My VSSB or DRAC module is looking for the 4x output from the original gear driven (700r4) vss...

So do I need a drac module from a truck, or can I change the jumpers around on the module I have?

Thanks Guys!

Andrew Nabors

Administrator
    You can swap the related parts from your old trans to the Blazer unit. The metal reluctor wheel can be removed from the shaft much easier if you remove the tailshaft housing.

You may be alsoi able to make a truck style DRAC work but you'll need to confirm that it can provide all the speed signals required by your car.

yes that reluctor comes off easy with a gear puller or a brass drift just pay attention which hole that the retaing clip is in on your old trans as there are 2 holes in the output shaft
    Wise man once said,better to stay silent and let others assume your and idiot than to open your mouth and prove it........and yes im an idiot lol

Carb and Points!
    My truck friends tell me that for trucks that have reluctors, there is no groove on the output shaft for the retainer clip.

My Speedo and odometer are working, just reading really fast due to 40 pulses. I might bite the bullet and change the jumpers around for 40 pulses and see what happens.

I just dont know if my VSSB will be happy with square wave vs older analog input...

Any other thoughts are welcome,

Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by duPont Registry View Post
    My truck friends tell me that for trucks that have reluctors, there is no groove on the output shaft for the retainer clip.

My Speedo and odometer are working, just reading really fast due to 40 pulses. I might bite the bullet and change the jumpers around for 40 pulses and see what happens.

I just dont know if my VSSB will be happy with square wave vs older analog input...

Any other thoughts are welcome,

Thanks Guys
    Well I
    don't think. I have ever seen a groove on a 60 or 60e but all 2wd outputshafts have 2 holes in them for the gear or ring
    Wise man once said,better to stay silent and let others assume your and idiot than to open your mouth and prove it........and yes im an idiot lol