Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine.

Fuel Injected!
    I had the opportunity The last couple of days to make a little progress. I got the crank reluctor mounted and I think I've got the "0" position figured out.

Here's some pics of the reluctor and crank position sensor.
    As soon as I can get the engine back in the Jeep I'll start running wires.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    That looks like a good start.

I have hopes and plans for a 4.0 Jeep using an OBDI GM controller, DIS, and a 2000+ block. I have tried obtaining a flywheel with an unmachined reluctor ring but have had no luck. Other thoughts are to put small steel blocks into the notches in the reluctor ring or to attempt to machine a new reluctor ring. What you're doing will likely be much faster.

If you're going to switch to bank injection on a single exhaust system there's no need for dual primary O2 sensors. If you don't need to monitor cat performance there's no need for a downstream O2 sensor. If you're disabling the MAF sensor and not using an E type GM transmission then much of the OBDII functionality will be unnecessary. This could be an interesting learning experience.

I will say that an OBDI ECM using four cylinder code might require fewer adjustments but it will require new software and hardware.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm going to be using the cam sensor from a 2004 4.0L engine. It's a drop in part and gives a 1x signal.

2231-01147340-1092123.jpg

I'm currently running a 4.0L in a 1988 Comanche on a P59.
    I pulled it from a 2004 astro van that had a 4.3L V6.
    I machined a 3x reluctor from a old skid pan. It runs pretty good for a 300K + engine.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    That looks like a good start.

I have hopes and plans for a 4.0 Jeep using an OBDI GM controller, DIS, and a 2000+ block. I have tried obtaining a flywheel with an unmachined reluctor ring but have had no luck. Other thoughts are to put small steel blocks into the notches in the reluctor ring or to attempt to machine a new reluctor ring. What you're doing will likely be much faster.

If you're going to switch to bank injection on a single exhaust system there's no need for dual primary O2 sensors. If you don't need to monitor cat performance there's no need for a downstream O2 sensor. If you're disabling the MAF sensor and not using an E type GM transmission then much of the OBDII functionality will be unnecessary. This could be an interesting learning experience.

I will say that an OBDI ECM using four cylinder code might require fewer adjustments but it will require new software and hardware.
    Here's a link to that thread.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ht=Jeep+engine

Fuel Injected!
    I fired it up today. It sounds really good. It started pretty easy once I got every thing hooked up.
    It's idling at about 1100 RPM but I expected it to be a little off from all the different sensors I'm using. I'm guessing at the RPM, I haven't hooked up the tach yet.
    I have to run the OBD2 port wires so I can read the DTCs to see how it likes running on 4 coils and 4 injectors. And I've still got to hook up the exhaust, so it's loud. LOL

It went from this.
    2.5l jeep1 resized.jpg

To this.
    2.5l jeep resized.jpg

Administrator
    Well done! The computer really doesn't care about what's it's running. As long as you are supplying signals that work with the hardware the ecm will do its best to run the program and produce an output. FWIW when I had my '95 2.5 I moved the crank sensor about 3 deg advanced which allowed me to drive at 70 on the highway with wide 30's and a hardtop. As far as I could tell Chrysler had done a good job overall with their timing curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorwon View Post
    I fired it up today. It sounds really good. It started pretty easy once I got every thing hooked up.
    It's idling at about 1100 RPM but I expected it to be a little off from all the different sensors I'm using. I'm guessing at the RPM, I haven't hooked up the tach yet.
    I have to run the OBD2 port wires so I can read the DTCs to see how it likes running on 4 coils and 4 injectors. And I've still got to hook up the exhaust, so it's loud. LOL

It went from this.
    2.5l jeep1 resized.jpg

To this.
    2.5l jeep resized.jpg
    Congratulations

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Congratulations
    Dave can you tell me if the fan control wire is positive or ground? I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorwon View Post
    Dave can you tell me if the fan control wire is positive or ground? I can't remember.
    Fan "ON" is a "Ground Signal".

0411 four cylinder.jpg

I'm wondering if maybe the '0411 Four Cylinder Coil-On-Plug Ignition System will work without a Cam Position Sensor . . . Post #3 in this tread.

Likely the .bin file will still need Eight Cylinders and a Cylinder Volume equivalent to the Four Cylinder Volume?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Fan "ON" is a "Ground Signal".

0411 four cylinder.jpg

I'm wondering if maybe the '0411 Four Cylinder Coil-On-Plug Ignition System will work without a Cam Position Sensor . . . Post #3 in this tread.

Likely the .bin file will still need Eight Cylinders and a Cylinder Volume equivalent to the Four Cylinder Volume?

dave w
    Once I get things straight on this thing I plan to play with it.

I'm looking at it like this.
    I have a 2.5L engine, I'm running it on a PCM that thinks it's running a 5.3L engine.
    The 2.5L is half of the 5.3L (about). I'm using 1/2 of the injectors and 1/2 the ignition.
    Each O2 sensor is getting 2.5L of exhaust (both are in the same pipe could lead to issues ???)
    Cylinder volume is the same in both engines (close). It's going to put the same amount of fuel to each cylinder.
    The biggest issue I foresee is the MAF will be looking for twice the air flow it's going to get. And I haven't figured out how to delete it yet.
    I know it can be done, so I've got to learn how.

Perhaps adjusting the MAF Tables for 2.5 Liter is an option? Possibly "half" the grams per second V8 vs. Four Cylinder?

Perhaps check timing with a timing light that has a "dial indicator" for degrees of advance? The '0411 spark table is Grams Cylinder vs. RPM (MAF vs. RPM)

From EFI Live Tutorial:
    Going MAFless
    When fitting a 2 or 3-bar MAP sensor you must disable the MAF sensor. It is possible to leave the MAF sensor in place. This will need to be done on the 85mm MAF as the Intake Temp Sensor is located in the MAF housing. Alternatively, you could relocate the IAT using on older style IAT sensor. Even with the MAF still in place, the PCM must be forced to ignore the MAF signal.
    To disable the MAF sensor:
    Set the Engine Diagnostics->Engine Diagnostics->MAF->Parameters:
     {C2901} MAF High Frequency Fail 1: 1Hz
     {C2902} MAF High Frequency Fail 2: 1Hz If calibration {C2902} is not available in the operating system that you are using, then ignore this step.
     {C2903} MAF High Frequency Fail Limit: 1
     {C2907} MAF Test Min Engine Speed: 300 RPM
     {C2908} MAF Test Min Run Time: 0.1 seconds
    Set the Engine Diagnostics->Engine DTC processing Enablers:
     P0101 ‘C’ Non Emissions
     P0102 ‘C’ Non Emissions
     P0103 ‘C’ Non Emissions

Set the Engine Diagnostics->Engine DTC MIL Enablers:
     P0101 ‘No MIL’
     P0102 ‘No MIL’
     P0103 ‘No MIL’
    When going MAFless and/or boosted on vehicles with Electronic Throttle Control, you will most likely need to increase {C6101} ETC Predicted Airflow, by significant amounts to stop the PCM going into reduced power mode.
    Set the Transmission Diagnostics->Transmission DTC Fault Max Pressure Enablers
     P0101 ‘No’
     P0102 ‘No’
     P0103 ‘No’

Set the Transmission Diagnostics->Transmission Failsafe Enablers:
     Set all airflow related enablers to ‘No’ to prevent the transmission from going into failsafe mode due to the MAF being disabled.

Fuel Injected!
    I given up on using the Jeep throttle body. I just can't get the IAC to work with the GM computer.
    The lowest I can get it to idle is @1100 and it's always changing 100 -200 RPM.
    I made an adaptor for the throttle body I have from a 2004 4.3L V6 and it works good so far.
    It's idling at 650 -700 RPM just like it should be. I'll be installing my wide band and gauge tomorrow so I can start tuning it.
    I've turned the MAF off for the moment. I've never done that before and just wanted to see how much it affects it.

After putting the GM throttle body on this engine and how it responded, I think I need to get another one for my 4.0L in my truck, that I'm running on a P59.

Administrator
    I given up on using the Jeep throttle body. I just can't get the IAC to work with the GM computer.
    When I put the 7749 into my Toyota I grafted on the IAC adapter plate from a 4.0 TB. I ended up switching out the Jeep IAC for a GM IAC. You've already made your adapter but if you'd like I will see if I can find the number of the IAC I used.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    When I put the 7749 into my Toyota I grafted on the IAC adapter plate from a 4.0 TB. I ended up switching out the Jeep IAC for a GM IAC. You've already made your adapter but if you'd like I will see if I can find the number of the IAC I used.
    That would be great info to have. So yep if you can find it I'd love to have that part number.
    If ya got a pic of the way you mounted it, I'd like to see that too.

Fuel Injected!
    Here's a short video of it running.
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/kIXigekwo-A