Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine.

Fuel Injected!

0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine.

This is a 1987 Jeep YJ with a 2.5L 4 cylinder engine. The first pic is where I was mocking up the late model port injection manifold in place of the throttle body injection. It also has a set of headman headers.

My plan is to run it on a 0411 with a V8 tune. I'm going to be turning off all the DTCs for those cylinders that are not used.

The first issue is the crankshaft reluctor.

I made one and mounted it on the front of the 4.0L six cyl Jeep engine in my 1988 MJ truck. I'm running it on a P59 using a V6 Bin. It runs so good I'm going to build a new engine to replace the one in it that has over 300,000 miles on it.

But I want to mount the CPS on this engine in the factory location. So after some measuring I've decided I can modify the flywheel to be the CPS reluctor.
    I've laid out the flywheel to duplicate the V8 4X trigger wheel, 30deg on 90deg off (or maybe that's 30deg off 90deg on?).

So I'll be cutting the shaded areas away as these are the off signal from the CPS. The first issue I've ran into is the old Jeep signal pattern leaves a gap where there should metal. So I'll have to warm up my welding skills, then have the flywheel rebalanced.

I've got a 0411 with a 5.3L manual tune in it that I think I'm going to try. When I get the flywheel modified I'll up date the post.

Fuel Injected!
    I have a few questions for ya'll.
    As you know from the title of the thread I'm going to run my 2.5L jeep on a 0411.
    I have been setting it up to run on low res 4x crank trigger. But I have a 24x reluctor I can make a mount for on the balancer and plenty of room to build a sensor mount.
    My first question is.
    Do you think the 24x is worth doing?

What are the advantages of the 24x over the 4x?

If I use the 24x can I use coil near plug?

I have a 2000 1500 truck harness and computer I picked up at the u-pull it the other day. The OS is 09381344.
    I have a 12212156 BIN and matching XDF I can load.

I can help you with your questions.

I found this '0411 4x crank YouTube video interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQf9th9lcbA

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I can help you with your questions.

I found this '0411 4x crank YouTube video interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQf9th9lcbA

dave w
    That's a good video and it lead to about 2 hours watching videos on 4x and 24x reluctors. LOL

Ok so 24x it is. Now I've got to find or build a reluctor. I think I want to build it. I've got to build a mount for it anyway. It'll probably be easier to design them together.
    I've been looking at 24x reluctors and they are not neutral balanced or will be hard to mount or both.

So does it have to have the double pattern?

Or can that be modified to just one pattern?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmm, http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...B-Coil-on-Plug

My daily driver 1999 S10 is V8 powered (L31) with an '0411 coil-on-plug conversion.

Challenge - Is a custom '0411 operating system required for the 4 cylinder engine? It's my understanding the '0411 was never used with a 4 cylinder engine.

Sometimes converting to fuel injection requires leveraging a fuel injection system from a similar engine. Back in the "hay day" of TBI there were many adaptions to non GM engines. The Nuts & Bolts of TBI was simple, easy, and well supported by the aftermarket. Fast Forward to OBD2 with Coil-on-Plug . . . so the question I would be asking myself "if I" wanted to convert a Jeep 2.5 to OBD2 fuel injection / coil-on-plug is . . . what GM Inline 4 Cylinder is OBD2 fuel injection / coil-on-plug that is CHEAP?

Does CHEAP mean only DIY software for Tuning? Does CHEAP mean No Aftermarket Support for EFI parts? Does CHEAP mean only junk yards have the "Nuts & Bolts"? Does CHEAP mean 10,000 plus likes on YouTube or Facebook?

It's your Jeep 2.5 liter engine, your in the drivers seat to determine CHEAP, not me.

Hmmm,
    Challenge - Is a custom '0411 operating system required for the 4 cylinder engine? It's my understanding the '0411 was never used with a 4 cylinder engine.
    He said in his first post that he was planning on using V8 tune with injectors disconnected. I was considering doing the same for a different i4 project, but lack of information from others that had, and needing a crank reluctor made me decide to do something different, but when researching I did find a number of others who have done it. Seems like I couldn't find for certain if rpm settings had to be modded, and which cylinders were deleted.
    Anxious to see the outcome.
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Fuel Injected!
    Sometimes converting to fuel injection requires leveraging a fuel injection system from a similar engine. Back in the "hay day" of TBI there were many adaptions to non GM engines. The Nuts & Bolts of TBI was simple, easy, and well supported by the aftermarket. Fast Forward to OBD2 with Coil-on-Plug . . . so the question I would be asking myself "if I" wanted to convert a Jeep 2.5 to OBD2 fuel injection / coil-on-plug is . . . what GM Inline 4 Cylinder is OBD2 fuel injection / coil-on-plug that is CHEAP?

Does CHEAP mean only DIY software for Tuning? Does CHEAP mean No Aftermarket Support for EFI parts? Does CHEAP mean only junk yards have the "Nuts & Bolts"? Does CHEAP mean 10,000 plus likes on YouTube or Facebook?

It's your Jeep 2.5 liter engine, your in the drivers seat to determine CHEAP, not me.
    I have looked at GM Delco 4 cyl PCMs and the support just isn't there. I'm sure some of the guys over on the Delco board could do it, but I'm not that guy.
    I've read a lot about the 0411 and think I can do this. Yes I know the 0411 was never put on a 4 cyl engine by GM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralmo94 View Post
    He said in his first post that he was planning on using V8 tune with injectors disconnected. I was considering doing the same for a different i4 project, but lack of information from others that had, and needing a crank reluctor made me decide to do something different, but when researching I did find a number of others who have done it. Seems like I couldn't find for certain if rpm settings had to be modded, and which cylinders were deleted.
    Anxious to see the outcome.
    Yes I plan to run it on a V8 tune, so we'll see how it comes out.

Fuel Injected!
    HPTUNERS supports many GM 4 cylinder controllers. NA and turbo. This is one of those things where I am sure you can do it, but why would you... BTW, Hptuners also supports the 4.0L Jeeps for a few years now....

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    HPTUNERS supports many GM 4 cylinder controllers. NA and turbo. This is one of those things where I am sure you can do it, but why would you... BTW, Hptuners also supports the 4.0L Jeeps for a few years now....
    I have HPtuners. I've just had bad experiences with them and don't want to give them anymore of my money.
    My YJ is a 1987, nothing on it, as far as wiring, is much good.

Fuel Injected!
    i see, good luck with your project..worst case you can run a TPI ECU ('730) it will run 4 cylinder with 4 injectors and did so from the factory. Also came in a weather sealed engine compartment mounted ECU ('727). you could also run DIS, it's not CnP but is still not a bad system and cheap. guess it's not as cool as the LS stuff, but it's bee. hacked for a long time now.

Also if you go that route unless you go DIS, you don't need a crank trigger.
    You could also run custom code, such as s_aujp, or code 59
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

I built a low resolution '0411 dual trigger distributor for SBC / BBC applications. The design is "bolt on" crank trigger parts for a L31 / L29 distributor. Maybe a similar low resolution dual trigger distributor could be used for a Jeep 4 cylinder bench test tool?

CIMG2743.jpg

Iso View.jpg

Top View.jpg

Maybe the pictures below will be helpful for 24x Jeep 4 cylinder?

CKP_CMP_waveform_relationship_001.jpg

Crank Cam.jpg

LS1_crank_timing_01.jpg

ls1-pattern.jpg

reluctor.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    only insight i have is if your running "every other" injector from the firing order, set the fueling to 1 bank. Kinda what we do on single turbo setups. It makes global changes to trims instead of bank to bank.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko350 View Post
    only insight i have is if your running "every other" injector from the firing order, set the fueling to 1 bank. Kinda what we do on single turbo setups. It makes global changes to trims instead of bank to bank.
    Sounds interesting. So this would only need 1 O2 sensor?