Thread: Lean issue only in gear

Fuel Injected!

Lean issue only in gear

Anyone have thoughts on this. It goes extremely lean, only when the scanner pid goes to "in gear" and i verified its not related to ve hitting a bad spot by unhooking the park position switch so the pid shows in gear when in park, with the same results. As soon as it sees the pnp switch show on gear, this happens regardless whether its physically in gear.

Speed density. Maf failed 0hz. Maf failed first key cycle. And set maf rpm.for filtered maf fuel mass to 10k rpm, and theres no maf wired in physically. Ive tried both open and closed loop. Fuel trims stay within 5-7% when it occurs.

This video i even started over and tried a manual OS and its the same issue, only difference is with the manual OS i dont get stalling in gear, and once back in park the afrs dont recover like it did with the auto OS.
    Its almost like its on a timer. Always about 10 to 15 seconds after shifting to gear it happens.

Car is a 355 lt1 running a torqhead kit and 0411 pcm, non electric 4l60.

https://youtube.com/shorts/xPxwXRhSVdw?feature=share
    1993 Lt1 24x torqhead swap
    Tick performance cam.

I am guessing you are using 2156 from previous posts.
    looking through [OS12212156 - 2002 512kb PCM - v6.xdf]
    I see the following tables that MAY or MAY NOT be relevant
    B3627 through B3631
    & B3651

B3630 - Park to Drive Enrichment Decay Delay

Comments
    Upon detecting a park/neutral to drive gear selection, wait this many engine revolutions before leaning out the park/neutral to drive enrichment

B3629 - Park to Drive Enrichment
    Comments
    Enriches mixture for first shift from park into drive

Another thought, EGR?

Is EGR deleted? that could only command EGR in gear, and thus EGR fuel reduction. I wouldn't think it would at idle, but just an idea.

Since no one else posted any ideas, these are the ones I thought of
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah ive been searching and searching. I could understand one of those tables causing a change from 14.5 to 16 afr in gear. But not so extreme to go full lean.
    Maybe my p01 im using isnt correct for the 156 OS. The pcm is 09354896. Came from an 02 silverado. I did a full write with the fbody 156 OS. That pcm number also interchanges to an fbody as well. I do have an actual 0411 here but im saving that for when my hpt cable arrives tomorrow. The 896 ecu was just supposed to be a test mule for tunerpro.
    Tick performance cam.

Did you ever try a segment swap?

I have a bin I swapped I can post it if want to give it a try, since this was a test mule?
    It's 2088 os though. But should still work just fine.

Fuel Injected!
    No i didnt bother segment swapping when i have the ability to totally full write an ecm with oem procedures.
    Tick performance cam.

Quote Originally Posted by blakebird93 View Post
    No i didnt bother segment swapping when i have the ability to totally full write an ecm with oem procedures.
    A segment swap is still same procedure, it's for when a bin is needed that the OE never offered, such as a f body LS1 with a non electric auto segment.

Fuel Injected!
    Well i decided to move away from all that and did a full write of a manual car. Same results based on that pin 34 input. I think im gonna wait and see how my 0411 acts with Hpt instead. Im kind of suspiscious of either the xdf of my flashing tool. Something has to be corrupted.
    Tick performance cam.

Quote Originally Posted by blakebird93 View Post
    Well i decided to move away from all that and did a full write of a manual car. Same results based on that pin 34 input. I think im gonna wait and see how my 0411 acts with Hpt instead. Im kind of suspiscious of either the xdf of my flashing tool. Something has to be corrupted.
    I understand, I'll post the files maybe you can try it, maybe someone else could get use.
    included are XDF, both bins used for swapping, and final swapped bin. Final bin shows non electric auto with ls 5.7 when looking with XDF in TunerPro and Universal Patcher
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Update for the curious. Reflashed with my gm tool both my ecus to factory via gm tool. The 896 still had issues. My 0411 for fun, threw it in. Darn near ran perfect without a tune. Threw my tune in the 0411. And idles perfect in or out of gear all day long. Either the 896 cant take the 156 fbody os, it was corrupt, or the ecu was physically faulty.
    Tick performance cam.

Fuel Injected!
    the running airflow tables need to be adjusted. You may need to add the percentage your fueling is off. Even though the tables are in grams per second, it still uses the value as a calc. or when it drops into gear, the motor is loading against the converter and is changing fuel cells. Add fuel to the cell it moves to and smooth the table in that area afterwards.

Fuel Injected!
    Update again, its been fixed for a while now. I thought the ecu was the fix, but after hp tuners i still had constant issues. After alot of digging, logging, and diagnosing, i decided to throw a ckp in. Just as an educated guess. I had p0336, but no p0335 which wouldnt indicate wiring issues. Long story short after triple checking ckp shims, reluctor for straightness, lab scoping sensor, and alot of logging, the ckp was spiking double actual rpm for a few frames of data randomly. This drastically skewed calculated cylinder air mass. Caused massive timing spikes. Erratic fueling. Strange starting issues. Torqhead said they use gm oem sensors. I put a 50$ duralast in, shimmed it, and every single problem ive been having over the last month or 2 magically disappeared and the car runs amazing. Been driving it for couple weeks now.
    Last edited by blakebird93; 05-02-2022 at 06:09 PM.
    Tick performance cam.