Thread: this is something new to me

Carb and Points!

this is something new to me

gearhead fam...im new to this tuning stuff. i got a 5.3 4l60e from a 2002 tahoe that i swapped in a 78 Regal. i paid someone to send me a pcm with vats deleted, rear o2 sensors deleted, tire size, gear size, and electric fans on. everything worked what they sent but from what people telling me, its just a base tune. nothing else is adjusted. what all do i have to do to get some power out my setup?

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, probably just a simple tune. Changes to your tune beyond that carry risks, extra costs and quite possibly new engine hardware. A new, more aggressive camshaft, LS3 intake manifold, headers and higher compression heads could really wake up that engine but would be big dollars . . . and an all new tune.

Changes can be made for more aggressive engine timing but this can be risky and make the engine run hot. It will also absolutely require the use of 91-93 octane fuel - 87 octane won't be good for an engine with aggressive timing. That 4L60E also won't tolerate high power for very long.

I have your exact same engine and transmission combo and all I have is a good base running tune. And a dependable running engine with 20-25 MPG fuel consumption and wouldn't change a thing.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Nice to see a G body on the rode!

Any Pictures?

There a couple things you could do to the tune only,
    Like you could change Power Enrichment so it engages easier and without a Ramp In Rate.
    Adjust your Volumetric Efficiency Table, and MAF table - If your fuel trims are within 0 to -5% Probably not worth messing with it.
    Change your Power Enrichment Ratios - should be done with a wide band o2 sensor.
    Being in a light car, you could probably use a little more aggressive timing curve than a Tahoe, But with 87 octane, might be minuscule.

Basically if your engine is stock, it should be fairly close, only thing that might could be Fine tuned, would be adjusting airflow to match new exhaust and intake.

You can install a momentary button connected to a pin on the pcm and ground, ( would have to look up what pin I don't remember ) for a tow\haul or performance shift schedule, kind of like a push button shift kit.

I would say best bang for your bucks would be a new camshaft or regrind and re tune airflow to match

********* C1 -71 blue*********
    Last edited by ralmo94; 04-13-2022 at 06:31 AM. Reason: pin location
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Fuel Injected!
    5.3 is somewhat weak in low-speed torque and I would put money on that Regal having a rear axle ratio in the mid to low 2s. Not exactly the combination for a strong runner. LS1 F-cars were a bit undergeared and the autos had 2.73s.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    5.3 is somewhat weak in low-speed torque and I would put money on that Regal having a rear axle ratio in the mid to low 2s. Not exactly the combination for a strong runner. LS1 F-cars were a bit undergeared and the autos had 2.73s.
    Possibly, my dad's 79 reagal though had 4.10s. But it was a factory 4 speed v6.has a Pontiac 400 now.
    ( Need to get that thing back on the road )
    But yeah, an auto with a 1:1 trans is probably geared too high for the tall OD of a 4l60e
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    5.3l is somewhat weak in low-speed torque and I would put money on that Regal having a rear axle ratio in the mid to low 2s.
    Not exactly the combination for a strong runner.
    LS1 F-cars were a bit undergeared and the autos had 2.73.
    Optional F-car gear with 5.7L LS1 & 4L60E was 3.231 on 25.6" tall tires, which was just about right for the LS1's power peak @ 5600RpM.
    For the slightly lower power peak of the 5.3L V8s, 3.42 might be a better compromise between metro / urban & highway MpGs.
    With a fully enabled Aussie operating system (patch), even 3.73 is not unreasonable.
    THEY are NOT Lying to You.
    You are NOT Even Lying to Yourself.
    You ARE Being Lied to ... by Your SELF.
    The Last Psychiatrist, aka ... Alone ...

Fuel Injected!
    Engine is probably reasonably close in tuning unless you've done something like a cam.

I would download Bluecats which will produce new transmission curves and try something more aggressive there. Getting more aggressive upshift curves and downshift curves that don't require WOT to downshift will improve how it runs.