Thread: MPG

MPG

One of my trucks just went on a trip half way across the country pulling a car trailer with a car in.
    1994 GMC k1500 4l60 3.42 gears, stage 2 RV cam from amazon, true dual 2 in exhaust With glasspaks, 4 wire o2, EGR delete
    Lean Cruise, fuel pressure slightly raised ( modded FPR when rebuilding TBI, not sure on pressure gauge from parts store failed never checked again figuered didn't matter since VE needed completly tuned anyway) 3 core Radiator, stant Thermostat,

Car probably 3000lbs
    Trailer 2400lbs
    Cargo, probably 800lbs

Gross guess 12000lbs + or -

Thought I'd share the fuel Economy and cost
    Truck had good power climbing passes

Includes Idle Time also.

What do you think, good, bad, average?
    1830 miles 10.8 MPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ralmo94 View Post
    One of my trucks just went on a trip half way across the country pulling a car trailer with a car in.
    1994 GMC k1500 4l60 3.42 gears, stage 2 RV cam from amazon, true dual 2 in exhaust With glasspaks, 4 wire o2, EGR delete
    Lean Cruise, fuel pressure slightly raised ( modded FPR when rebuilding TBI, not sure on pressure gauge from parts store failed never checked again figuered didn't matter since VE needed completly tuned anyway) 3 core Radiator, stant Thermostat,

Car probably 3000lbs
    Trailer 2400lbs
    Cargo, probably 800lbs

Gross guess 12000lbs + or -

Thought I'd share the fuel Economy and cost
    Truck had good power climbing passes

Includes Idle Time also.

What do you think, good, bad, average?
    1830 miles 10.8 MPG
    I would hate to have your range. I get about that towing my TT with the 383 in my Express van. Difference is I have a 31 gallon tank. Really wish someone made a tank around 45-50 gallons for it.

I've read of people swapping in suburban tanks where the spare goes for a truck.
    Maybe could with a van also?

I like to get out and stand up after a while and use the bathroom.

Drove my dad's 2008 dodge diesel with a blown head gasket. That range was terrible. 12-30 miles. Had to keep refilling radiator from the over flow.
    Nice to hear mpg is on par

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ralmo94 View Post
    I've read of people swapping in suburban tanks where the spare goes for a truck.
    Maybe could with a van also?

I like to get out and stand up after a while and use the bathroom.

Drove my dad's 2008 dodge diesel with a blown head gasket. That range was terrible. 12-30 miles. Had to keep refilling radiator from the over flow.
    Nice to hear mpg is on par
    More fuel availability than rest stops. I nearly ran out once in my Ram because there were only a dozen or so stops for 60 miles and all the stations were closed in the area with the lights off. Finally found a station with less than 20 miles on the DTE. Running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere at 2 am would not have been fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    More fuel availability than rest stops. I nearly ran out once in my Ram because there were only a dozen or so stops for 60 miles and all the stations were closed in the area with the lights off. Finally found a station with less than 20 miles on the DTE. Running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere at 2 am would not have been fun.
    That reminds me of driving through Canada on the way back from Anchorage 2020 during pandemic.
    Took enough spare jugs to fill each truck once 3 trucks.
    Only had to use it once though. The Yukon was checking people to make sure you needed to be there.

Administrator
    I apologize for the sidetrack.

I get about that towing my TT with the 383 in my Express van. Difference is I have a 31 gallon tank. Really wish someone made a tank around 45-50 gallons for it.
    Have you looked into using a Cutaway tank? I believe 1997 chassis Cutaways were available with a 55 gallon tank.