Thread: Running rich in open loop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Running rich in open loop

This is something thats been going on ever since I have swapped to MPFI. I guess I really need to try and get it straightened out.
    When the engine is cold, and in open loop, it wants to run rich. I will start the engine, AFR is around what I have set in the open loop AFR table. It will stay there just fine as long as I dont start driving. Once I pull out and start driving, it drops down to 12.5, sometimes as low as 10-11 for short bursts. As rpm's go up, the afr will raise to where it should be, untill I shift, then it will drop back down to 11-12, sometimes even 10, engine will kinda cough a bit and you can smell the fuel out the exhaust. As soon as it goes closed loop, this stops. Its like its ignoring the open loop afr table unless its at idle. Last time I did a data log, allmost all my blm's were between 125-130, so I dont think my fuel tables are off. And like I said, it has done this ever since I have swapped to MPFI. It did not do this when I still had the tbi.
    Any ideas?

Here is a short vid I shot saturday morning. I started the vid just a few seconds after startup, right after my WB heated up. The clicks you hear are me shifting gears. I pull out of my parking spot in granny gear, shift into 2nd, you can see the afr drop when I shift. I then drive to the end of the driveway and then pull out on the main road. You can see it drop when I shift, and I think even hear the engine hesitate a bit when it drops to 10 for a second. Ignore the high afr twards the end, I was slowing down to come to a stop (aka, DE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhzOa...ature=youtu.be

Also here is a shot of my open loop afr table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.