Thread: Manual or auto OS

Fuel Injected!

Manual or auto OS

93 firebird auto (non electric early 4l60)
    Using an 0411. Was told by some that an auto os is the way to go cuz the pnp switch and vss inputs can help with in gear idling especially with a cam and overall drivability. Well after being unable to learn ckp, its obvious the pnp switch doesnt tell the trans what gear it is. Pnp has its own pid, but theres another pid for actual gear which comes from manifold pressure switch logic. Unplugged trans go default 2nd. Because all 3 pressure switches are hi (open) grounding pressure switch b with the pnp switch allows actual gear to follow the pnp switch. Hwoever its my understanding that things still might never operate correctly due to the auto os looking for the switch logic, as well as all the other solenoids that arent wired in-regardless of codes being turned off it can supposedly cause odd glitches in tuning amd drivability at times. Any truth to this? I had it idling in gear fine before i was aware of the fluid switch issue so im not sure i ever even had in gear idle compensation to begin with, so maybe im netter off going manual os to avoid any possible anomolies with it down the line before i get too far ahead in my tuning. Anyone had experience with it either way?
    1993 Lt1 24x torqhead swap
    Tick performance cam.

As far as I know, the proper thing to do is segment swap trans section and trans diag with a non electric auto.
    Auto manual all use same os 2156 is pretty universal. I've seen before a 2156 bin for non electric auto.
    As far as I know the consensus is that you can not just chang options, but need a segment swap
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rPro-Bin-Files

Post 10 is what I remembered, but different OS. Maybe you can use that os and segment swap?

Fuel Injected!
    So i cant simply check the parameter for non electric auto?
    If the current auto file wont work or will cause issues down the road ill reflash the whole ecm to a manual. I dont have the means to segment swap in tunerpro and dont want to attempt it. Easier for me to do a full write with a manual file i have.
    Tick performance cam.

Should be able to segment swap with universal patcher, then you would have your custom bin.
    It's reported that simply changing the selection does nothing, but I can't speak from personal experience.

Fuel Injected!
    So its possible to segment swap to a non electric auto so it only uses the pnp switch?
    Tick performance cam.

Quote Originally Posted by blakebird93 View Post
    So its possible to segment swap to a non electric auto so it only uses the pnp switch?
    That's what the bin in the thread I referenced was for.
    If you have a bin with the proper engine for the same OS as the non electric auto bin, you can segment swap.
    Both bins need the same os to segment swap

Just remembered you said you had access to bins from work, if you can find something like a Kodiac or Topkick truck bin that had an AT545 ALLISON, AND RAN 2156OS you would be in business. Although the post in the thread I referenced said they only came in those 2 OS's

Fuel Injected!
    I think at this point itll be less effort to go manual file and tune accordingly. Converter is a little on the loose side so im sure itll be tunable
    Tick performance cam.

Quote Originally Posted by blakebird93 View Post
    I think at this point itll be less effort to go manual file and tune accordingly. Converter is a little on the loose side so im sure itll be tunable
    Only issue I remember reading about doing that, is some report stalling issues when slowing to a stop.
    But you said you raised your idle, so you might not have any issues, if you do, you could always modify dfco, and rolling idle
    I agree that is probably the easiest way forward. Let us know how it works out for you

Fuel Injected!
    I have a buddy who tunes these cars after the swaps and he said turns off the follower so it doesnt try to stall and they work fine.
    Tick performance cam.