Thread: DA no longer functioning

Carb and Points!

DA no longer functioning

I've recently fat fingered something and cant figure out if its a computer, Tunerpro or equipment issue. Data acquisition is no longer reading. I have TP V5 and the moates APU1 system on a 95 K1500 and have been using it since last November successfully. Currently data acquisition does not read. I have checked all of the connections multiple times, tried several ADX, XDF, and BIN files and read the help files in Tunerpro and I,m still stuck. Also read as many forums and tech tips that I could with no success. DA connect registers as successful but the gauges and analog inputs either max out or dont move when the key is turned on or off. Any help would be appreciated.

Does the truck run ok, not in limp mode?
    You don't have an inverter plugged in do you?
    I tried having one plugged in for charging my laptop and got garbage data.
    Are you using the same USB port on your computer?
    Do you have a spare USB cord you could swap out to check the cable is good?
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Carb and Points!
    Hello thanks for getting back to me. The truck runs good enough with either one of the chips Ive burned or attached to the APU1. No on the inverter and I did try different USB ports but only have one ADL cable. I did OHM out the ADL cable as best I could and it seems ok. Im really frustrated mostly because it had worked good for several months while I was learning about Tunerpro and the moates equipment, then right when I felt the tune was getting close to what I wanted no more DA indications or data while logging. Cant help thinking I fat fingered something and messed up either Tunerpro or a setting on my laptop. Ive been trying to figure this out for more than two weeks now and only learned how little I actually know.

http://support.moates.net/troublesho...apu1-autoprom/

Have you checked this out?
    Maybe try it in passthrough mode?

Says the emulation only works correctly if nothing is in the chip socket.
    Sounds like you are running a chip, and only need the APU1 for data logging?
    Maybe following the steps like you never used it before will help?

Carb and Points!
    Afraid Ive been down that road already its not the emulation thats the problem its the data acquisition thats not working. When I use the DA connect button (two little arrows pointing in opposite directions) I get the connected and no errors indication just no movement on the gauges or data input.

You followed this section?
    Tested for valid connection as in photo?

Using the APU1 for Logging Only

As you have seen above, the APU1 is a versatile device that can be used for many purposes. However TunerPro is the only software that knows how to use any of the advanced features of the APU1, so it is necessary to put the APU1 into a “pass through” mode when using other software. In these cases, the APU1 functions solely as an ALDL logging interface.

Make sure the APU1 is connected to your PC and has a COM port between 1 and 8. It will be necessary for you to know which COM port the APU1 is using to configure it properly.
    Make sure the outer horizontal switch is ‘away from the USB port’ position. (Passthrough mode, identical to ALDU1. Other position is APU1 mode for TunerPro.) Legacy software will NOT be able to connect to the vehicle unless this switch is set correctly!!!
    We’re going to walk through the TunerPro RT configuration steps to use this mode. Your APU1 will NOT be recognized by TunerPro RT software in this mode. If you’re not using TunerPro, skip to step 9.
    If the APU1 is recognized by software at startup, try moving the mode selection switch again. Verify the the USB is being recognized correctly.
    Next, make double check TunerPro’s configuration for logging. Start by going to Tools…Preferences
    Next, Tab over to the Data Acq. /Emulation tab. (red arrow) Make sure that “Use Plug-in” is selected for Interface Type. Make sure “TunerPro Data Acquisition I/O Interface” is selected under the component drop down box.
    Then click the “Configure Plug-in Component” box (green arrow).
    Make sure that “Standard Serial” is selected (green arrow) and the COM port of your APU1 is selected (blue arrow)
    If you are NOT using TunerPro RT, you should be able to start your software of choice and configure it to use the COM port of your APU1 (COM2 in this example)
    If you have trouble connecting, check the other switch on the APU1. Older applications that use 160baud require the in/up ”10k across A-B” setting. Later TPI, LTI and TBI applications use 8192 baud which requires the switch to be in the out/center =”open between A-B” position. If you just want to check codes, the down position will cause codes to flash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPRT-config-for-standalone-logging1.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	17596  

Fuel Injected!
    Can't see what you're doing but are you using emulation with checksum disabled? I know with the checksum not disabled, I was still able to connect but after the first "flashed" change "boom" check engine light and Tunerpro RT dashboard would go wonky. Only way to get around this was to disconnect the battery to reset the PCM and start over again.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the info but yes I have changed the checksum to AA after finding out about that the hard way. I havent tried using the pass through feature it might at least let me rule out cables, ports ect. I keep wondering if there is a pause or stop button I might of accidentally hit while trying to tune and drive simultaneously but cant find anything other than pausing the log play back.

Are you using a chip, or emulating?
    Was my understanding that if you are running from a chip, passthrough mode was to be used?

Carb and Points!
    You right to use pass through the APU1 cant be connected to the ECM with its ribbon cable. Ive tried to use the APU1 and chips before to acquire data but not in the pass through mode. I guess Im going to have to configure the ports on my laptop and give it a try

Carb and Points!
    I have Tunerpro V5 RT where you can emulate and receive real time data for tuning on the fly. If it works in pass through mode that should tell me that its a problem with my Tunerpro or laptop configuration and not a hardware issue. But I will still be lost as to the fix.