Hello,

I'm well into my AMC360 TBI conversion in my 1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, but I've hit a bit of a snag. I got a deal on a used 1227747 ECM, supplied my wiring harness from AFI, and wired a VSS to the pins going to the ECM as I read this could be useful when tuning. I used a G2X switching adapter to convert the original 24 pin socket to accept newer 28 pin EEPROM, and allowing me to eventually design a tune to run off E85, coupled with a socket booster 1.0 (in spite of this, my check engine light still flickers). Everything is wired and in place, and i think I've finally got the mechanical fuel problems I encountered resolved (not the point of this thread). I'm using a moates APU1 (autoprom) to emulate a modified ASDU bin with spark tables I made to align with the factory jeep tables in my service manual, and VE tables I reduced at idle. I'm finally to a point where i can being the initial setup procedures, however whenever I connect my autoprom for datalogging in Tunerpro RT V5 everything connects properly, but the data is junk. An example is my battery voltage reading at 20-24V, or a maxed vehicle speed, all the while I get no errors in Tunerpro. After fiddling with the comm port setting for a while following guides on here as well as elsewhere, the best I was able to get was a few moments of "something", where the previosly static junk data, would resemeble actual data if only for a split second, then freeze up again.

So, I decided to burn a chip, and used my APU1 in passthrough mode for use with WinALDL. I made sure all my com ports were correctly setup, and fired up WinALDL. At first it seemed as though it was working, I didn't get any errors, and it showed as connected in WinALDL, but once I went to check my data to verify the throttle position sensor, there was no data, the fields weren't even populating. I followed a handful of guides and changed some settings in WinALDL, but was never able to get it to give me any information.

Its important to note that most of this occurred while I was chasing down my fuel pressure issue I mentioned earlier. I mainly did this work to take a break from the occasionally frustrating fuel issue I was hunting down, however with that resolved, (my TBI rebuild had a spring that was too stiff), I decided it was time to dedicate some resources to this. I had read that you could read live data like throttle position from a handheld reader, so i went out and purchased a Innova 5512 from O'Reilly (I'm pretty sure its the same as a Innova 3170RS sold at summit and AutoZone, with a different color scheme). I connected it up as per the instructions, and the device asked me to input the year and some vin numbers, likely to verify the ECM type and the specifics to make it output data, these are examples of the combinations i tried that I thought would have a 7747 ecu.
H vin (8th digit) for a 5.0 truck from 87-~91
k vin (8th digit) for a 5.7 truck from about 89-~91

What happened next is the reader would try to connect, but get stuck at the 50% mark. I then heard a clicking from either the engine bay or behind the dash, usually twice (though occasionally just once), separated by at least 20 seconds of silence. I tried to hunt down where it was coming from, but it wasn't the IAC, the fuel pump relays, or even the fuel injectors (I used a NOID light to verify that they weren't getting a pulse). After a minute or two the reader would just say it failed to connect. I guess at this point, what should I do next? Am i going about getting a TPS and IAC readings for the initial setup all wrong? Have I just bungled the hardware and software connections/settings each time? Is my ECM a bad unit? I've tried hunting down a TBI truck from this era to verify if my hardware works, but have had 0 luck. the only check engine lights I've gotten are for a coolant temp sensor which I replaced, and for a rich condition while I was chasing my fueling problems. Both went away after I resolved the underlying mechanical problems.