Thread: A little guidance please

Carb and Points!

A little guidance please

I have been searching for posts that may address my questions -- either no one has or I'm not very good at searching.

I'm putting a 5.3/4L60e from a 2003 Tahoe in a 79 Vette. I put in a Summit 8701 Cam, springs and seals. Other than some gaskets & seals, I didn't change anything else.

I will reflash the pcm and I'm trying to choose a bin that will be a good fit for me.

The Tahoe didn't have electric fans. It also weighs 3500 pounds more than the Vette. I think the shift points might need to be adjusted as well as the fuel maps. I was wondering if a bin for a C5 vette or maybe a GTO would be a better starting point.

If anyone could either give me their two cents or suggest how to search for that sort of topic, I would appreciate either.

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    There are BINS with richly detailed XDF files that support that combo of engine and trans. Which PCM are you going to use? For the P01 PCM, I'm using the 8322 BIN but 2156 and 2088 are also very good. 2156, probably the best of the three.

For a P59 PCM, the 7603 BIN and XDF combo is your only real choice though 7604 has seen some recent improvements in XDF support.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    I have a P59. It came with the 12589162 which I understand has no commonly available .xdf files. Since I will have to change, I wanted to start with something closer to my intended use. I've seen car and truck/suv .bin files but didn't know if there might be other reasons to stick with a truck bin since that is what I started with. Since this is a LS Swap does it matter.

Thanks for the time
    Greg

Fuel Injected!
    Hello,

Your 5.3 / 4L60E combo is easy in 7603. That won't be any trouble for you and Tuner Pro RT makes it easy. You will have to know your tire height, rear gear differential ratio and do a little easy math to your speedometer to work accurately.

Have you built a bench harness yet? What writing tool for you - PCM Hammer or LS Droid?

Rick

Carb and Points!
    I have a bench harness with OBDlinkMX+. Using PCM Hammer and TunerPro. I keep getting a checksum error when trying to save a file in TunerPro... Even saving an original file. I was able to read my pcm.

Fuel Injected!
    You quite likely don't have the checksum.DLL file required for Tuner Pro RT. Do you have the latest Tuner Pro RT version - 11 January, 2022? I think that version includes all of the correct checksum files.

Or even more likely, you edited your BIN with a mis-matched XDF file. That is a big no-no and will bodge up your BIN with checksum errors every time. Don't write that bad BIN to a PCM unless you want to manufacture yourself a wheel chock or a doorstop.

You can either fix your install of Tuner Pro RT, get the matched XDF to your BIN and start the editing from scratch or depending on how badly your BIN is messed up, a program called Universal Patcher might be able to repair it.

Rick

Carb and Points!
    I went to Tunerpro.net and downloaded TunerPro RT again. I'm still getting the checksum error. Where do I find the dll? I loaded an older version of TunerPro and didn't have the error.
    I have a matched pair of XDF and Bin OS IDs.

I loaded a 2004 Corvette 4L60e Bin on a P59. Removed VATs and some DTCs. I'm going to test it on a different 2003 Tahoe to make sure it works. The donor vehicle was also a 2003 Tahoe.

Greg

Fuel Injected!
    You will likely need to find an unmolested 7603 BIN or one that does not have the checksum error and start over again. Or use Universal Patcher to correct the checksums. Or, if the older version of Tuner Pro works, go with that.

Rick