Thread: Different MAT sensors?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Different MAT sensors?

So now that I have my test harness set up, I decided to start testing a couple sensors from my jeep 4.0 so I would know what I can and can not use.
    I pulled the jeep MAT from my engine and tested it against the gm MAT I bought new at the parts store. The gm sensor reads correctly on my datalog dash, and I used a heat gun to test it. The jeep MAT uses the same plug, but the ohm range is incorrect. When its hooked up, instead of reading 70* like the gm one did, it read closer to 50*.
    So I am going to have to swap to a gm MAT. Only problem is, the gm one uses larger threads than the jeep one. The gm sensor has the same thread size/count as the CTS (I think 3/8 npt?). However the jeep mat has smaller 1/4-18 npt threads. Other than the thread size, they are almost identical.
    So I was wondering, is there a gm MAT from some other car/truck that is compatable with a 7727/$8D that has 1/4-18 npt threads?
    I suppose if there is not one, you might be able to re thread the gm sensor. Looking at them, the "cage" around the elements are the same size on both, just the gm one has more material around the main body for the larger threads. I think you might be able to chuck it in a lathe and turn it down a hair and re thread it. But only going down that route if there are no other compatable mat's.
    Anyone know of any?

Heres a pic, jeep on the right, gm on the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.