Thread: Ls1 tune with non electric trans

Fuel Injected!

Ls1 tune with non electric trans

I have a 93 firebird, running a torqhead 24x system and 0411 pcm. For all intents and purposes think of it as an Ls1 in regards to my question. So far i got the pcm from the ju kyard, found out it was from a v6 4.3. So i flashed it to an pem calibration (i work at gm so i used a vin i found for an ls1 firebird and treated it as a blank ecm)
    So now its running a 12212156 OS. I found out the vin i used is for a 6 speed. Should i leave it as is? Or flash it again with a stock cal from an auto ls1 car? I spent extra time wiring in my vss properly and making sure the 1993 4l60 (not e) has the current PRNDL switch wired in to the ecm. The wiring actually matched exactly going from 93 to 02 diagrams. The 93 non electric 4l60 was a crossover to the 94 mpdel year 60e, it had a tv cable, but also a few pressure switches inside the valve body, as well as a prndl switch. My reasoning for leaning toward wanting it setup this way is the ecm will see its in/out of gear and will have correct idling in gear/out of gear.

Any experience with a setup like this would be great.
    1993 Lt1 24x torqhead swap
    Tick performance cam.

I use expensive "Commercial" Flash tools. Anyway, I tend to find a factory flash that is as close as possible or a flash that requires the fewest modification for the project I'm working with. There is programming in the flash for Deceleration Fuel Cut Off or DFCO. An automatic transmission has very different DFCO programming vs. the manual transmission DFCO programming. Likely using manual trans DFCO with an automatic is not as problematic as trying auto trans DFCO with a manual trans. Likely the manual trans stall saver programming will not affect a fluid filled torque converter. Factory this, Factory That, Factory Everything is usually a good plan.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by blakebird93 View Post
    I have a 93 firebird, running a torqhead 24x system and 0411 pcm. For all intents and purposes think of it as an LS1 in regards to my question.
    So far i got the pcm from the junkyard, i flashed it to an oem calibration (i work at gm so i used a vin i found for an ls1 firebird and treated it as a blank ecm).
    So now its running a 12212156 OS. I found out the vin i used is for a 6 speed. Should i leave it as is? Or flash it again with a stock cal from an auto LS1 car?
    I spent extra time wiring in my vss properly and making sure the 1993 700R4 (not 'E') has the current PRNDL switch wired in to the ecm.
    The wiring actually matched exactly going from 93 to 02 diagrams.
    The 93 non electric 700R4 was a crossover to the 94 model year 4L60E, it had a tv cable, but also a few pressure switches inside the valve body, as well as a prndl switch.
    My reasoning for leaning toward wanting it setup this way is the ecm will see its in/out of gear and will have correct idling in gear/out of gear.

Any experience with a setup like this would be great.
    In your situation, I very much agree with 'dave w's advice - as factory as reasonably possible whenever reasonably possible.

That said, you may wind up using a manual os or segment with some but not all info from a 4L60E segment manually transposed in.
    Reason being, I for one am not entirely sure that the 4L60mechanical can be properly noticed by your TorqHead pcm as a 4L60Electronical.
    Your 700R4 / 4L60noEwhatsoever is effectively engine-controlled, it gets no inputs from, and sends no responses to the pcm.
    So far as this pcm is concerned, it's only an ecm in this case.
    To us a 700R4 / 4L60 is an automatic. To a 700R4 / 4L60, it's engine-controlled.
    I think your pcm would most easily understand a 700R4 / 4L60 as a manual from it's perspective.

For whatever it's worth, might be simpler to use a 4L60E, than to add things to the 700R4 to trick the pcm into thinking that a 700R4 is a 4L60E.
    But I'll learn from being wrong, so, either way ... hope this helps ...
    THEY are NOT Lying to You.
    You are NOT Even Lying to Yourself.
    You ARE Being Lied to ... by Your SELF.
    The Last Psychiatrist, aka ... Alone ...

Fuel Injected!
    As of right now, i flashed an oem cal from work for an auto car. The pcm sees vss, and also sees me shifting through gears so im optimistic right now. Once its running ill know more about whether its going to work or not. Also im not using torqheads pcm or harness. They dont support plug and play for 93 cars. I built my own harness using a stock Ls1 fbody harness which very minimal things needed to be changed to actually make it work in my car. The PNP switch is actually used not a true prndl. And its identical circuitry to an 02 Ls. The 0411 came from the junkyard. I asked for a v8 pcm, they sent me a v6. Oh well since im a gm tech it wasnt much to do a full write (treated it like an empty pcm)
    Im not actually trying to trick the pcm to think my 700r4 is a 4l60e. Just want it to see vss and pnp for better idle quality and also other factors in engine management thats unique to autos. I see hpt has an option for code modification for a non electronic auto with PNP. Im not sure if I'll buy/use hpt yet or stick to tunerpro and just turn off all the codes that will set with no trans plugged in. And my tcc im just wiring to the 4l60s 4th gear pressure switch, may add a combination of a vacuum switch inline with it too for smoother operation.

For what its worth i left the 4l60e plug in the harness in case i ever want to switch, but im going to avoid that as long as i can. I prefer my mechanical trans and its very well built.
    1993 Lt1 24x torqhead swap
    Tick performance cam.