Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1616825 tuning for 383

Fuel Injected!
    use a big block throttle body it has 2" bores. vortec heads like 32-34 degrees total timing. i would not run 32 degrees initial. sounds like they didn't play around with timing much, just got your motor broken in and called it a day. post the dyno graph.

Fuel Injected!
    I can find 16197427s reasonable BUT no one can tell me anything about the van or truck they came out of.

They cannot tell me what transmission, engine of even if it was even running when hit.

My old friend who had a junk yard would often say when asked if a part was any good, “Well it was moving when it hit something.” He could then show you to car or truck it came out of. Sadly he passed 7 years ago and wife sold yard.

So looks like I will need to load the basic operating system for a 350V8, for a 4L80e and hopefully for lean Burn Cruse.

Can someone tell me how to do this and what tools will be needed??

And are all operating programs on the EPROM or do we need to make changes to the main ECM??

Best of all worlds will be to have a person load these programs to a eprom or chip as I also have a Moates Memory Adapter With a preloaded MPG custom chip.

Plus the older EPROM chips from my 93 350 4L60e 165 ECM, so how much of engine and transmission programs are in the EPROMs?

Can I just plug them into a 16197427 and just take off??

As this will be a fresh start up of a new engine I hope to have a good ECM to light it up.

Perhaps someone can sell one?

A 427 ECM or loaded EPROM or suggest a good tuner/programmer?

Rich

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
    A little update. Picked the engine up today after I had it broken in and ran on the dyno. Dyno sheet is showing 32 degrees initial advance BTDC and final advance @6500 rpm at 36 degrees BTDC and 37 degrees of timing. The engine ended up making 364hp and 460 ft-lb of torque. My next question for those of you experienced with tbi systems is if the tbi that I have would be able to support the horsepower for this engine. I have a gm tbi that has been bored out to 46mm. I'm not sure if I will be able to get enough airflow with it or not. If not I will need to go another route.

Thanks
    The stock TBI flows 480 cfm, enough to make 330-340 hp. Will be fine with the 46mm. At 46mm they flow just shy of 600 cfm. Do not need a 2" until over 400 hp. What you will need is larger injectors and increased fuel pressure.

Electronic Ignition!
    Here are my dyno sheets

dyno pg1.jpg
    dyno pg2.jpg
    dyno pg3.jpg

Electronic Ignition!
    If I did the math correctly I should need roughly 70# per hour from each injector.

Fuel Injected!
    i think the 37 degrees is a typing error. i dont think you need that much timing with those heads, you will probably even pickup some more power lowering the total by 2-4 degrees. i thought BB throttle body was 350hp+ but listen to fast355 he has done lots of this stuff. i ran a BB theottle body making 375HP FWIW. I used a Caprice LT1 timing table to start with, but I am sure there are vortec ones available if you look.

you need 97#/hr injectors.

65# 350 injectors @ 29 psi
    75# BB injectors @ 22 psi
    81# BB injectors @ 19 psi

you will need to use a vacuum referenced FPR.
    Last edited by tayto; 05-08-2022 at 09:00 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
    If I did the math correctly I should need roughly 70# per hour from each injector.
    I figured 17psi of pressure should put me pretty close I think. I believe the stock 5.7 tbi injectors are rated
    At 61 pph at 13 psi. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Fuel Injected!
    you would need to run 61# injectors @ 33 psi to support 365fwhp. all my calculations are running injectors at 85% duty cycle. I ran my 68# cop car injectors at 30 psi to support 375fwhp. i probably could have lowered it to 27 or 28 psi. i would try to find a bigger injector. but once you get over 17 psi a VRFPR is required so you don't over fuel at idle.

https://www.dynamicefi.com/TBI_Fueling.php
    Last edited by tayto; 05-08-2022 at 10:37 PM.