Thread: 7427 Efan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Here's how I have it wired as of now:

30= BATT +
    85= PCM PIN E3
    86= BATT +
    87= FAN

This IS different from the way the wiring is listed in the .doc included with the efan control patch for the 7427
    Pin 85 is listed as Ground high amperage and Pin 86 is to PCM.

With the relay wired the first way I listed, I got the fan to come on instantly with startup with the enable and disable temps set to 70.7 and 60.4 respectively.

I then burned another chip with the temp on set to 284 and temp off set to 282.7 and the fan didn't come on (cold/warm started in driveway on both tests)

After testing the efan in the driveway I burned a chip with the fan set to turn ON @ 204.4 and OFF @ 203. Went driving around town and saw temp starting to come up to the 204 mark so I hopped out, popped the hood and in no time at all, POOF! the fan magically turned itself on :)

I love it when stuff works and/or I can figure it out.

I'm planning on leaving the wires alone since it works this way, I just have to add inline fuses to the two wires going to the + BATT post, since I temporarily have them hooked up w/o fuses

I noticed that 93V8S10 had his fan set to turn on at 10 degrees ABOVE the temperature his thermosta opens (160F) Is there any reason for this? I copied what he did in that sense, my thermostat is 195F and fan ON is 204.4F, roughly 10 degrees difference.

Also, in the included document with the fan code, the section at the end talking about relays and how to wire them is a bit confusing I think... I hooked it up exactly as stated and it didn't work for me until I tried something else.. I really think we should revise this document to eliminate the confusion, uncertainty, and wrong information that I experienced. I'd be happy to do a quick ninja edit and tighten up these directions, possibly even expound a little bit on how and why to wire it a certain way?
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 07-26-2012 at 05:01 AM.

Super Moderator
    i was gonna say, based on your last post, it sounded like it was functioning exactly as intended...

anyways, 10-15*F above the stat rating is what i do as well, depending on how sticky it is. a lot less thermal cycling that way.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by CDeeZ View Post
    I noticed that 93V8S10 had his fan set to turn on at 10 degrees ABOVE the temperature his thermosta opens (160F) Is there any reason for this? I copied what he did in that sense, my thermostat is 195F and fan ON is 204.4F, roughly 10 degrees difference.

Also, in the included document with the fan code, the section at the end talking about relays and how to wire them is a bit confusing I think... I hooked it up exactly as stated and it didn't work for me until I tried something else.. I really think we should revise this document to eliminate the confusion, uncertainty, and wrong information that I experienced. I'd be happy to do a quick ninja edit and tighten up these directions, possibly even expound a little bit on how and why to wire it a certain way?
    I'm sure 93V8S10 would appreciate any feedback and helpful hints to all the work he has done. I know I found one thing off a little when using his work and mentioned it to him and he was very apprecative.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    i was gonna say, based on your last post, it sounded like it was functioning exactly as intended...

anyways, 10-15*F above the stat rating is what i do as well, depending on how sticky it is. a lot less thermal cycling that way.
    Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I'm sure 93V8S10 would appreciate any feedback and helpful hints to all the work he has done. I know I found one thing off a little when using his work and mentioned it to him and he was very apprecative.
    He's on this forum isn't he? What is the best way to get in touch with him? I certainly don't intend to complain as I am very appreciative of the work he's done! Just want to help!

Thanks guys

I'm going to pick up some inline fuse holders on the way back home today to complete the install. What size fuses should I use for each of the two wires going to the + battery post?

Super Moderator
    depends on the fan....

with a lot of the GM factory stuff, expect something along the lines of a 40-60 amp maxi-fuse per fan. it only really needs that much overhead when starting to spool up, otherwise you could get away with a 20 amp fuse.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

I'm not sure exactly what the fan is from as I bought it from a friend several years ago. I believe it came out of like a 2001 cadillac of some sort.

I'll get a fuse holder and several fuses in the 40-60A range and see how low I can go on the fuse without it blowing..

And on the fuse for the +12v to energize one side of the relay armature, that I can get away with a 5A fuse surely?