Thread: TBI install on AMC 360

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

TBI install on AMC 360

This site is an amazing resource! Thank you to all who post information for me to sift through!

Background...

TBI install on a ’78 CJ5 with AMC 360, .030 over, with Edelbrock Performer cam intake and valve springs, stock exhaust manifolds.
    I have two complete TBI systems, One from a 1987 7.4L C20, w/auto. And another from a 1987 7.4L K30, w/auto. I think I saved everything I need except the fuel pumps, which I have replaced with an external pump. I also have a 16196395 ecm on the shelf that I may repin for some day but at this point its all I can do to install the 1227747 and the matching harness.
    I do not have a large budget, everything I do is on the cheap. I enjoy welding and cobbling things together.

So far the mods to the Jeep are going slow. I've installed a single wire O2 sensor in both sides just after the exhaust manifolds. The plan is to maybe have a spot to install a wide band O2 for tuning. I have an old AMC distributor that I refazed and welded mechanical advance on, and removed VAC advance.
    I'm looking for a single plane AMC V8 intake manifold, but having trouble finding a used one. So, I put a spread bore to square bore adaptor on the manifold, and have machined an adapter plate to bolt the TBI to the manifold.

I have installed the 28 pin ZIF into one of my 1227747s. I am using Tunerpro RT, $42-1227747-V5.9.3.XDF
    and have modified this bbc bin, AZFW, a little bit to get it started running. Base pulse width is set at 107. I turned off the EGR (EGR patch, and turned off code 32). Turned off AIR. I put in the timing table for the AMC 360 I got from binder planet.
    I have not turned the key yet, I'm still working out my power wires but I'm close to having the install complete.

My question at this point...

I have soldered new wires onto my pickup coil to reach the gm IGN model mounted on the firewall, but the pick-up coil wires are very small and I'm not sure if I have a good connection. Is there a different pick up coil I could use, or a better method for doing this, I have also twisted the wires.

Edit: I don't think I mentioned, I have 80# injectors.

Thanks
    John
    Last edited by geewhiz; 02-22-2022 at 06:32 PM.
    John