Thread: Manual Swap XDF/Bin question

Fuel Injected!

Question Manual Swap XDF/Bin question

Hello all, I am fairly new to the world of tuning and had a question regarding XDF and bin setups. I have a nice XDF and Bin for my ECU and deleted VATS quickly (keeping stock tune for now as there is no change to the cam or anything)

My question is this, I am doing a T56 swap behind an iron 5.3, in TunerPro it advises me not to change trans setup- I am assuming this is the case if I had a different automatic trans, am I OK with a manual swap?

I wanted to confirm with someone wiser than I before I brick something!

I use TunerCats not TunerPro for flashing PCM's.

With TunerCats, I start with a 5.7 LS1 Manual Transmission flash and update the engine parameters (fuel tables, spark tables, injector parameters / tables, and MAF tables) to the 5.3 Liter (copy / paste marathon )

Deceleration Fuel Cutoff (DFCO) parameters for a manual transmission are different vs. an automatic transmission, which is the primary reason I start with a manual trans flash.

Perhaps TunerPro has a 5.7 LS1 Manual flash available?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

With TunerCats, I start with a 5.7 LS1 Manual Transmission flash and update the engine parameters (fuel tables, spark tables, injector parameters / tables, and MAF tables) to the 5.3 Liter (copy / paste marathon )

Deceleration Fuel Cutoff (DFCO) parameters for a manual transmission are different vs. an automatic transmission, which is the primary reason I start with a manual trans flash.

dave w
    Hey Dave thanks for taking the time! What are the odds you have a HDW 12580786 DBW 5.3 manual bin lying around? I am not sure if im ready to run the copy paste marathon, still wrapping my head around how all of this works... + my concern is the LS1 XDF is not going to play nice with my 2003 DBW, correct me if im wrong.

Would it not be easier to just change the DFCO parameters vs changing all of your engine parameters?

I mention the LS1 flash because of the T56. I try to use a "close as possible" factory flash. Using a flash that requires the fewest changes needed is typically a good plan. I'm "all in" for using a flash that includes Skip Shift and Reverse Lockout with a T56.

Hmmm, 2003 DBW with Manual Trans . . . likely a Unicorn Flash if it even exists

Typically, only the 4.8 and the 6.0 had manual transmission option. Most 2003+ are DBW, with few exceptions. The copy / paste marathon is still likely.

Several years ago, I helped out with a 5.3 DBC conversion into a 1968 C10, using the original 3 on the tree transmission. This experience demonstrated to me DFCO is important for daily driving. . . 3 pedals . . . only 2 feet. I modified a 4.8 DBC manual flash with 5.3 engine parameters.

Gearhead-efi link for 2003 .bin files: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rPro-Bin-Files

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Apologies on the delay, thanks Dave- you've given me a starting point. Looks like a 4.8 manual is the best path forward!

Fuel Injected!
    I have come to the conclusion of this: I am going to try and write a 12587603 P59 bin onto my PCM, as I have the ability to delete VATs etc. I also have a 6 spd corvette 12587603 bin that I will use (assuming that first test doesnt brick my PCM haha) And swap over the engine map from the 5.3

I will keep this thread posted. Down the road I am going to attempt to datalog with a wideband in TunerPro... I have a long ways to go

Fuel Injected!

dave w

Can you screen cap some of DFCO settings? I'm starting with a BIN from a manual 6.0L truck, the issue I'm having is the engine is stalling when decelerating.

The route cause I believe is that I don't have a VSS installed and won't be installing it, I've read that lots of people have tuned around this just wondering what to change?

You could try seg swapping the transmission seg to your stock file
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Quote Originally Posted by greg82 View Post
    Can you screen cap some of DFCO settings? I'm starting with a BIN from a manual 6.0L truck, the issue I'm having is the engine is stalling when decelerating.

The route cause I believe is that I don't have a VSS installed and won't be installing it, I've read that lots of people have tuned around this just wondering what to change?
    The 1968 C10 has a Digital Dakota 8K VSS installed on the 3 speed transmission.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...gaAsxEEALw_wcB

I didn't need to modify any DFCO setting. The 8K VSS requires a very ODD pulses per driveshaft revolution number. For the 1968 C10 the pulses per driveshaft revolution was about 3.25 to equal 8K pulses per mile.

Fuel Injected!
    The 1968 C10 has a Digital Dakota 8K VSS installed on the 3 speed transmission.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...gaAsxEEALw_wcB

I didn't need to modify any DFCO setting. The 8K VSS requires a very ODD pulses per driveshaft revolution number. For the 1968 C10 the pulses per driveshaft revolution was about 3.25 to equal 8K pulses per mile.

Thanks dave,

I'm hoping to do this without a vss, so I'll keep poking around to figure out what settings need to be changed in the ECU.