Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie needs help ..

Carb and Points!

newbie needs help ..

I've got a TPI350 transplanted into a V6 bird ... trying to get tunerpro talking to it ...
    I beleive everything is plug and play .. it's a SD system in a 1991 ... has a 7730 computer ...
    got a cable on fleabay # 110835778529 ... loaded tunerpro .. found bin, ads, and the other file here on this site ..
    but I don't think I'm connecting ... the USB/port comes and go in windows when plugged and unplugged ..
    I match the port in tunerpro ... the test seems to work .. but the DA bar stays yellow ...

Still yellow after you click connect icon? Try moving cable to another USB port. Restart TP, try again.

Did you load the FTDI drivers for cable?

Open devices and find cable, which COM port? Is it that COM port in TunerPro?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    you'll need to make sure you have the correct ADS or ADX loaded as well.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Carb and Points!
    Still yellow after you click connect icon? ....yup ...

Try moving cable to another USB port. Restart TP, try again...... did ...

Did you load the FTDI drivers for cable? .. yup ...

Open devices and find cable, which COM port? Is it that COM port in TunerPro? ..did .. matched it .. switches between 3 and 4 ...

Carb and Points!
    you'll need to make sure you have the correct ADS or ADX loaded as well.

I think I have it correct ... I loaded a .ads and saved out a adx ? the bin seemed like the only one with an issue ... mine is 1991 TPI 350 auto ... found 5.0 TPI auto ... but it doesn't sound like the bin is the one that matters for just reading codes and trying to find out why I have no injector pulse ... even tried to put V6 CPU in ... seems like it was much easier 12 years ago with the buick turbo stuff :)

It can be a hassle to connect to the ECM for the first time.

Could you provide more information on the cable. I bought the wrong one the first time I tried.

I could not find:
    fleabay # 110835778529

Provide a link or make & model number of the cable.

Robert

Super Moderator
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/110835778529...529%26_rdc%3D1

i like how they linked to my ALDL page.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Be nice they want to advertise here... he linked to good info and didn't just steal it.

You have to have the correct Memcal/chip/bin for engine, then it has to match the ADX file.

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    tunerpro.jpg

I found a .bin that matches the chip in my CPU ... the adx has the part number of the CPU .. and I believe that's the right xdf ???? when I hit the connect button it turns pink ... doesn't seem to connect ...

FYI - I am the eBay seller of the ALDL to USB cable.

Also - The .bin and .xdf files of TunerPro are not used when scanning. So your problem can not be caused by them. Your .adx file looks correct, however try

The ADX file on this page - second post - http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?394-1227727-1227730-ECM-Information-8D

also try

A100 .ads from this page - http://www.tunerpro.net/gmOBDI.htm

Let me know what you find.

- phonedawgz

Also since the engine was a transplant, how much wiring was done? I think it's the same ECM so wiring to ALDL port should still be intact?

Data is on Pin E or Pin M IIRC for yours and it also needs a ground.

-= =-

My cable is set up to take the data on either E or M. 8192 Baud Pin M is what is shown to be stock with your engine.

I thought that part would be OK, but what else was done? What ECM? OK same ECM can run a V6 and a V8 if Memcal is changed, but what V6 wiring was changed to V8? Not even sure this could screw up Serial Data?

Did you load the FTDI drivers with cable installation? Connection issues are more likely an installation issue to TunerPro, this is common. Starting laptop, plugging in cable, checking to see which COM port it is on, then checking TunerPro to see if it is set to that COM port, Preferences to Plug in, not AutoProm... lots of options here.

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    cable sounds good .. I found both those links already and tried those files up and down ...
    loaded the "other software" .. it says it sees and talks to cable ... but no connection to cars CPU ..
    tried power and ground at CPU ... looks OK .... tried the paper clip .. .no luck ... swapped CPUs .. no luck ..
    car was fully working V6 at moment of swap .. VATs seems to work ...
    inside harness is factory to 91 bird (aldl) .. engine harness is stock to engine and cpu .. I was told .. which seems to be 1990 ... engine harness is cut at FP and fan relays .. I hacked in repairs ...

Pry open the cover of the ALDL board. A small screwdriver working at the connector end of the cable works good. Then plug in the ALDL cable to your ALDL port, but have the USB end unplugged. With the cable just plugged into the ALDL port, you should get flashing lights on the circuit board. If you don't have the lights on the board, either your Pin M data lead, or your Pin A ground are open