Thread: Help identifying wires?

Fuel Injected!

Help identifying wires?

I'm trying to correlate what I see on my truck with this picture:

I have a coil in cap setup from a 1983 GM HEI setup converted to TBI. The distributor itself is TBI, but the cap is original. I see 4 wires at the base of the distributor on the passenger side which look to be the ABCD set of 4. But I also see three wires coming out the front of the distributor which I'm not sure about. Probably the pickup, but why 3? And then tons of wires going up to the cap, presumably to the coil. I can post some pics in the next message so this doesn't get rejected.

Electronic Ignition!
    I attached an image which shows a point to point wiring diagram for the wires. The wires between the ignition module (mounted inside the distributor on the breaker plate) and the top mounted coil are the (2) coil primary leads. The 2 coil primary leads are essential. I know there are 3 wires as you described but its been decades since I wired an HEI, the attached wiring diagrams do show a ground wire, so it may be a ground wire.

Fuel Injected!
    Are the images showing up for other people? I can't see the one I intended to attach, nor anything on the reply.

The images are not showing up.

However, the 3 wires are for the coil, 12V ignition (that feeds the Ignition Control Module), coil negative (triggered from the ICM), and a ground (connects to the ground strap), then two wires that connect to the vehicle, 12V ignition, and a tach output (if there is no tach, then this wire might not be there). The 4 pin connector at the base is for connection to the ECM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    HEI Wiring Diagram.jpg

Sorry, File correctly attached this time.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    The images are not showing up.

However, the 3 wires are for the coil, 12V ignition (that feeds the Ignition Control Module), coil negative (triggered from the ICM), and a ground (connects to the ground strap), then two wires that connect to the vehicle, 12V ignition, and a tach output (if there is no tach, then this wire might not be there). The 4 pin connector at the base is for connection to the ECM.
    Are the three wires coming from the module, or the distributor pickup (or something else)? I believe both the pickup and module are there at the base of the distributor. The 4 wires together are from ECM to module, so it's the rest I'm a little vague on. I'm trying again to attach the diagram and a photo of my distributor. There are two connectors going to the cap with about 5 wires in total. Some of these come up from the 3 wires at the base of the distrib.
    Attached Images Attached Images