Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change VIN (GM OBD2)

Electronic Ignition!

Change VIN (GM OBD2)

Can anyone please provide which tool or software App will allow the user to change the VIN on GM OBDII ECUs? I want to be sure it will be successful before buying. All I'm wanting to do is to stock a few USED ECUs for my GM cars. (Thanks)

Fuel Injected!
    Overwriting a VIN or changing the VIN to something specific? What type of PCM? P01 or P59 or something newer? I think that HP Tuners can do some kinds of VIN changes but I also believe that the VIN must conform to model year specific changes. Tuner Pro RT probably can only overwrite a VIN but can't edit in a specific VIN. I looked around in the "Universal Patcher" program and it can see the VIN but I don't see any way that the program can change the VIN. PCM Hammer only reads and writes BINS, no editing.

LS Droid might be able to do some VIN changes and I will check later tonight.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Electronic Ignition!
    Sorry, I should have said...one ECU is a P01, the other ECU is a P59. The spare used ECUs will be exact replacements, so they will conform to my model year. I purchased the Jet Chip editor years ago which works fine for tuning. I was hoping to know for certain that an editor or scan tool will support changing the VIN before purchasing. (Thanks).

Fuel Injected!
    If you are simply making a BIN copy of your current VIN numbers in these P01 and P59 devices, yes . . . you can copy the BIN from your original PCM and then copy / clone that BIN into a new PCM and your original VIN will be there. Your new PCM will be an exact copy of your old PCM.

Editing the VIN to change it into something else can be done in certain cases but is tricky or perhaps not possible at all. Presumably, you live in a state with tough emissions regulations that require the PCM VIN to match the vehicle.

Rick

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks Rick. Could you please tell me what software will permit me to copy the original PCM BIN (of the VIN) from the original PCM into the spare PCM? (Thanks for your help! Ron).

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, of course . . . PCM Hammer or LS Droid - they are widely mentioned on this site, the LS1Tech site and the PCM Hacking site. You will need a hardware interface such as a Bluetooth OBDLink MX or a VX Diag VCX Nano (I prefer the USB version) and a junk yard OBD2 wiring harness with a two amp minimum, 13.8 volt DC power supply.

Rick

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks Rick. U Da Man.

Fuel Injected!
    You can use the pcmhammer with jet cable if it is the avt-852 variant. I am almost sure it will work, unless they programmed some custom firmware.

Electronic Ignition!
    Thank you sir, I'll try it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    You can use the pcmhammer with jet cable if it is the avt-852 variant. I am almost sure it will work, unless they programmed some custom firmware.
    I have a broken one of jets, definitely different firmware and doesn't appear to be any avt variant.
    -Carl

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks to all for your helpful advice. Could someone please recommend a cable that you know has worked successfully? (thanks)

Fuel Injected!
    You can easily and inexpensively build one with junk yard parts. The already built models with a power supply are too expensive, IMHO unless you are doing this work professionally all the time.

Rick

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by RD_Atlanta View Post
    Thanks to all for your helpful advice. Could someone please recommend a cable that you know has worked successfully? (thanks)
    Can you a posta pic of the jet cable

Electronic Ignition!
    Jet Chip Cables Photo.jpgJet Chip Cables Photo.jpg

Yes sir, I attached a photo of both of my Jet Chip cables. The (1) on the left is my original RS232 version and the (1) on the right is a USB version which I later purchased. Both have worked fine for reading & writing tunes using the Jet Flash S.W.

Thanks for you guys help.

Fuel Injected!
    Whenever I make a VIN change, it usually includes saving the binary, opening the binary in a hex editor, changing the VIN, saving the binary. Then, open the binary in Ultimate Patcher, fix any checksum errors and save. then upload the binary to the PCM. If just using PCM Hammer, you will have to provide a "legitimate" VIN using it's VIN changer. Using my method, I can input any 17 digit VIN, ANY. I did a custom one for a 74 Datsun 6.0L project using the original VIN from the car, plus a few additional "buffer" digits to make the 17. I don't recommend changing the serial numbers, but VIN and BCC(BroadCast Code) can be changed and not cause any problems with operation or uploading.

Bill
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!