Thread: Need some help tuning 7747/$42 please. Some parameters and things I can't figure out

Need some help tuning 7747/$42 please. Some parameters and things I can't figure out

I have successfully installed a 1227747 onto my '49 Flat head Ford and it's running really well so far. I just got the logging cable working and am now starting to tune the ECM.

A couple of questions for now, that I can't find the answer for...I have read the comments tab in the XDF but it doesn't say what value or direction to go to get the result I want.

1. Throttle follower, I want it to return to idle faster after a throttle blip, currently slows down over about 3-4 seconds from throttle blip.
    2. Any way to get a quick injector pulse before cranking begins? I have read somewhere how to do this but it was a few months ago and can't find it again. The flathead has a L O N G run down the manifold to the valves, a little dribble in advance, I think would help quick startup.
    3. Data logging speed, currently at about .8Hz. How can I change that to 5-8 Hz, or is it possible at all? Maybe it has something to do with logging baud rate?? I am just letting the XDF do it's thing, I haven't needed to use the 10K R to get the data to stream, it just starts by itself once I connect.

I'm using the ASDX 88 C-K bin, seemed like a good one to start with, 1227747-V5.9.3.xdf and 1227747-V5.2.adx. I can see that is staying in SYNC mode, and goes into closed loop when parameters are met, it's a ton of fun seeing the data streaming and logging..

I know I'm about 8 years behind the TBI swap/tuning craze...but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

PS using TunerPro RT V5

PPS Are there any other ADX files out there that have more commands in them other than "read data"? Something that has the MODE 10 to clear codes would be nice..been searching but can't find anything other than in the BIN thread.
    Last edited by kilohertz; 12-17-2021 at 09:13 PM.
    '49 Ford F-47 Flathead with GM TBI
    '66 Corvair planning a GM TBI
    '68 Firebird ragtop 7427 TBI going in
    And a bunch of other cars and bikes

Have you enable the BPW and Spark Advance Hack in the .bin file? Possibly you can use the EGR Disable Hack too? Possibly the 1227747.xdf ASYNC notes will help idle. Possibly deceleration fuel cutoff (DFCO) adjustments are needed?

Possibly comparing different .bin files will aid with the tuning process? Sometimes a timing table or fuel table from a .bin file with a bore diameter closer to the bore diameter of you engine is a direction for a parameter update? Sometimes comparing a 4.3 V6 .bin file vs. a 5.0, 5.7, or 7.4 liter .bin file is helpful for a direction on a parameter update? Perhaps a manual transmission .bin file vs. automatic transmission .bin file is helpful for a parameter update?

Link for 1227747 .bin files and 1227747 .xdf file: http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...Information-42

dave w

The datalogging rate is fixed, which as you suspected is linked to the baud rate.

Some people have modified the datalogging side itself to update certain parameters more often, but it's a lot of work for a SLIGHT increase in datalogging rate of select items. This is one of teh big reasons people switch from the '7747 to the '7427.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Thanks Dave and 6 Shooter,

Yes, I have looked at a lot of BIN files and read a lot of EagleMarks work from 2010-2013, and many others including both of you, and read a lot of the parameter comments, TONS of good info on this site but it is heavy slogging to find what I need as most of it from from 10 years ago. I got a timing table from a fellow friend/member here from Australia, which he had made for his TPI flathead setup a few years so I have that loaded and it seems to work well, I've tweaked the idle timing a bit but without driving the truck won't know until next year how it will work. The BIN I ended up using was Synchro fueling and can confirm that in the logs, WAY BETTER than Async and now I have data logging I can go back and look at what I started with which was a ADKY 5.0 L which now runs like crap, compared to the current BIN. Once I switched to ASDX the idle smoothed right out. I'm now working on getting the throttle plates and ICM dialed in, then it's time for a beer(s).

I'll update once I try this latest adjustment.

Thanks guys for the help!

Cheers

PS yes I have enabled the various hacks in the bin, deleted egr, esc, and a few others I'm not using.
    Last edited by kilohertz; 12-18-2021 at 08:17 AM.

I made terrific progress today...

I dialed in the IAC and have it idling at 700 RPM with 20 on the IAC count...going into closed loop once in a while as it crosses the threshold of 800 RPM..can see it swinging from rich/lean every second or so while in OL, injector pulse width is 2.35 mS at idle, and about 6%...maybe I'll just try to post a dashboard picture...for now, very happy with it...can't drive it until spring then I can really start to tune it.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Continuing to play with this...and while logging today, closed loop, idle rpm is 700 and spark adv is 13*, raise the rpm to 1000 and timing jumps to 26* . I have searched for an hour to try to find what's causing it and there is nothing in any of the tables to cause it to jump. The main SA table shows it should be at 13*. I know there is probably a whole lot more you need to know from me...I'm learning. Let me know what else you need to see.

Thanks!

Ok I figured it out, but I don't understand why it's doing this...

I got a timing table for the flathead in an excel spreadsheet...which had different column and row count than the $42-1227747-V5.9.3.xdf file did. I went into edit xdf and changed the row/column values and then cut and pasted the table values to tunerpro. Everything looks good with that xdf file, SA a nice smooth change in values, but when I load the unmodified xdf file, BAMM, I see the goofy SA values I am logging, 26* at 1000 rpm. There must be something (a lot of things) I don't understand about editing the SA table in xdf...

Anything to help me understand the bin table interactions with the xdf file would be great.

thanks and cheers