Thread: Emulation Anomalies with AutoProm

Fuel Injected!

Emulation Anomalies with AutoProm

First of all, it's not the AutoProm itself. I initially went to Moates with this problem and after a number of troubleshooting steps they proscribed, they agreed to send me a new unit. Unfortunately I still have the exact same problem with the new unit

Problem: intermittent data stream cut-out. In looking at the log file, engine appears to be running normal with all sensors registering properly. Then in next frame everything drops down, frame after that everything is zero'd out: Vehicle speed, RPM, BPW, TPS, temp, etc. etc. Everything except MAP for some reason - that one stays as it was. Then in next frame it starts recovering. Recovery involves overshooting RPM engine was running at before by about 300-400 RPM. Then it goes back to what it was. When driving it is the recovery that is noticeable. All of a sudden RPM just shoots up and then goes back to normal. Lasts about a second. This happens at all states, idle, accel, cruise, etc. Seems to be totally random - I can't find any trigger for what causes it.

Some other notes: this happens whether I am simultaneously data logging/emulating or just emulating. If just emulating I obviously can't zero in on things with the computer, but I definitely can feel it and notice it in the tach. If I burn a chip and put that in my G1 instead, no problem at all.

When I was troubleshooting with Moates they came down to either the AP or my ECM. They said it's possible to have a damaged ECM that can work fine with a chip, but isn't able to handle the extra power load of the AP. Apparently the AP draws a large amount of power. Since the new AP didn't solve the problem it seems like the only answer is my ECM? Should my next step be to track down a different 7427 to try? Any other ideas?

Fuel Injected!
    Did you changed definition mask to AA, if not try that.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by WASyL View Post
    Did you changed definition mask to AA, if not try that.
    Yep, I changed that. But thanks for the reminder.

Some comments about the ribbon cable from AP to ECM. Moates sent me a replacement when they sent me the new AP. So it's not the cable itself....unless it's too long and causing data issues. I corresponded with Moates' customer service today and they suggested I try shortening the cable. I'm not confident that will solve it, but I will try it.

Fuel Injected!
    Then I guess ECM is shot.

Fuel Injected!
    Was able to procure another 7427 PCM this weekend and it seems to have solved the problem. I took it on a 20 min test drive with simultaneous data logging and emulation, 10k data points. It glitched one time at data point 129 and then didn’t do it again. Have driven it several times since - emulating but not data logging and it did not obviously do it those times either.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveo91 View Post
    Was able to procure another 7427 PCM this weekend and it seems to have solved the problem. I took it on a 20 min test drive with simultaneous data logging and emulation, 10k data points. It glitched one time at data point 129 and then didn’t do it again. Have driven it several times since - emulating but not data logging and it did not obviously do it those times either.
    One glitch is one too many. By any chance, are you using a ZIF socket in the ECM to connect the cable from the AutoProm? If so, Moates does not support that method of connection. It will work, but can testify from experience that strange data can be provided for some but not all logged items, while everything else seems OK. This is due to a less than solid connection of one or more of the pins in the ZIF socket. With a solid connection, all OK but over time can change due to vibration, etc.
    If it was easy --- everybody would be doing it!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 84Elky View Post
    One glitch is one too many. By any chance, are you using a ZIF socket in the ECM to connect the cable from the AutoProm? If so, Moates does not support that method of connection. It will work, but can testify from experience that strange data can be provided for some but not all logged items, while everything else seems OK. This is due to a less than solid connection of one or more of the pins in the ZIF socket. With a solid connection, all OK but over time can change due to vibration, etc.
    Yep, that was one of the first things Moates suggested. I was using the S4 Aries 28 pin (plastic locking lever) - I stopped using it as soon as they suggested I do so, but it didn't help. I have since purchased the much more durable S2 Aries (metal locking lever) and have been using that recently. Moates says that version is suitable for emulation. I was NOT using it, however, when I got that single glitch after I switched PCMs. I agree that one glitch is too many but I have driven it some more since I posted this, including a 13K datapoint log today - exported the log file and filtered for zeros in the RPM column - zero zeros, a good thing. The only thing I really have left to try is to shorten the ribbon cable but I think I'll only do that when/if the problem presents itself again. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveo91 View Post
    Yep, that was one of the first things Moates suggested. I was using the S4 Aries 28 pin (plastic locking lever) - I stopped using it as soon as they suggested I do so, but it didn't help. I have since purchased the much more durable S2 Aries (metal locking lever) and have been using that recently. Moates says that version is suitable for emulation. I was NOT using it, however, when I got that single glitch after I switched PCMs. I agree that one glitch is too many but I have driven it some more since I posted this, including a 13K datapoint log today - exported the log file and filtered for zeros in the RPM column - zero zeros, a good thing. The only thing I really have left to try is to shorten the ribbon cable but I think I'll only do that when/if the problem presents itself again. Thanks for the input!
    Tks for update. I too have had cable issues, but replaced with a new one and all OK. Failing cable worked for years and all of a sudden started providing random data. Really weird. Had one pin with intermittent continuity when wiggling cable end while testing. Vice squeeze would not correct.
    If it was easy --- everybody would be doing it!