Thread: Best PCM for LS swap

Carb and Points!

Best PCM for LS swap

We are building a drift car and have a built LS2 ready to go in. The chassis was originally a Nissan 240 but all the original wiring is pretty much gone. We have been told that the best option (in terms of price) is to get a camaro PCM and harness to run the LS motor.

I'm familiar with the basics of SD tuning (with a 92 Corvette / boosted LTx motor) but not so much with MAF tuning.

So - what year Camaro PCM/Harness would you guys recommend? Maybe a Silverado PCM? The motor is around 550 at the crank NA, so we'll also need to make sure the MAF is big enough and the PCM tables can deal with that kind of airflow.

Thanks!

I moved your thread to OBDII section.

Silverado and Express van 0411 PCM are cheaper and easier to find then a camaro 0411 PCM. The issue then for most who have done old OBDI systems is flshing the new PCM. Need OBDII software and cables. There are some XDF and ADX for LS1 starting for TunerPro but I don't know of a way to flash the new calibration to PCM yet?

You may want to consider a RoadRunner from Moates as it is a modified LS 0411 PCM capable of Real Time tuning, also has rights to buy TunerCat OBDII software but also works with EFI Live software.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I've built a LS wiring harness from a 1996 ~ 2000 Chevy pickup, 5.7 liter Vortec. The PCM I used was the 12200411 or '0411 PCM. The Vortec wiring harness has the same PCM wire end pins as the '0411 PCM. The Vortec computer (aka Black Box) has different connectors than the '0411 PCM but the wire ends are the same round barrel pins. It's easy to get the Vortec computer connectors disassembled. The GM 8.1 liter, and 5.3 liter LS use the same MAF sensor which has the Intake Air Temperature Sensor included with the MAF and MAF wire connector. The '0411 PCM uses Speed Density for Fuel and MAF for Spark Timing. I think the factory LS Spark Timing (all of the Eleven tables) should be OK to use, so tuning the SD would be similar to 92 Vette. Besure to update the '0411 PCM on the MAF parameters, for the MAF you decide to use.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 07-15-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Super Moderator
    sure it's not a blended VE/MAF calculation for fueling?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    sure it's not a blended VE/MAF calculation for fueling?
    I'm not 100% sure, here is a screen shot of the 2002 Vette VE Table.

dave w

Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    not that i'm in any way up to date with how most OBD2 things function, but from what i'm TOLD........

GM liked to blend the speed-density and MAF calculations in at least a few applications, others seem to be done almost exclusively in MAF, with speed-density being used for transient conditions, but rarely have i seen speed-density being the primary airflow calculation(except for the applications that obviously didn't use a MAF).

but i really have no way of knowing for certain. easiest way i could think of would be to use a roadrunner, sit at idle and change the MAF value that corresponds to the airflow you see at idle, see if it effects fuel trims, then do the same at cruise speed. then do the same process with the VE table.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Just waiting on my RoadRunner!

Supposedly back in LT1 days it was a blend, but you can also run it on Speed Density only. I never did try what Robert suggested as a test. Alway got by with making VE adjustments, but never did a fire breather either...

What's the rest of descriptions say?

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I moved your thread to OBDII section.

Silverado and Express van 0411 PCM are cheaper and easier to find then a camaro 0411 PCM. The issue then for most who have done old OBDI systems is flshing the new PCM. Need OBDII software and cables. There are some XDF and ADX for LS1 starting for TunerPro but I don't know of a way to flash the new calibration to PCM yet?

You may want to consider a RoadRunner from Moates as it is a modified LS 0411 PCM capable of Real Time tuning, also has rights to buy TunerCat OBDII software but also works with EFI Live software.
    Hi Mark - what do you mean by "I don't know of a way to flash the new calibration to PCM yet"..?

As of now I know of no way to flash the new calibration/bin file to the PCM with TunerPro. Some XDF have been made to make changes to the file and an ADX to log data. But no way to get file from PCM or flash new one to PCM.

Still need EFI Live, HP Tuners, JetDST or TunerCat OBDII with cable to do so.

-= =-