Thread: Manual transsmission swap

Carb and Points!

Manual transsmission swap

Hello everyone , I have a 5.3 with now a AR5 manual trans not the 4l60e it used to have . Should I use a bin file with a manual trans with a 5.3 or should I change the bin file with auto trans to manual ? and is there any thing else I should change if I have to use the bin file from the auto trans ? Any thoughts and advise would be much
    appreciated thanks.

Administrator
    Hello,

You would be better off with a manual transmission calibration. Acceleration Enrichment, Deceleration Enleanment, and timing are usually different with manual transmission vehicles. You'll also want to shut off any transmission related codes. If the transmission gear ratios are contained in the calibration you might want to enter the correct ratios for the manual transmission.

Electronic Ignition!
    Have gone the automatic route (Getrag>Reatta) route before but was no manual calibration so had no choice. That said it depends on the transmission and level of integration. Pre-"E" transmissions (1991) are easier.
    Must remove (usually just jump around a subroutine) for
    - shift elements
    - TCC
    - Trans error codes
    - overheat shift restrictions

Is not trivial. If you have a manual transmission .bin, that is the place to start. Much easier.

Fuel Injected!
    I can speak from experience. Start with a manual bin. There are A LOT of differences. It is much more than just the auto/manual flag. If you already have a good VE from tuning, just paste that into a manual bin and start with that.

Electronic Ignition!
    Unfortunately at the time there was no L67/Getrag .bin because the factory did not build one. So once I had the basic maps just had to run and see what happened. Speedo had a different calibration for one.