Thread: TPI Tuning Questions

Fuel Injected!

TPI Tuning Questions

I came across this link for TBI tuning; https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...free-tune.html I am curious if TPI tuning with either a MAF or MAP sensor would be the same as what’s in the link I provided? TIA

Interesting TPI tuning information in this gearhead-efi thread: http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...er-Quick-Tuner

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Hey Dave thanks for reply. Couple quick Qs. I have a ‘88 TPI 350 with a 176 ECM. Say I was to install heads, headers and cam and want to tune the prom myself. So, hypothetically car is back together, I go to start engine to data log and it starts but won’t stay running to data log how would I go about fixing that? Next question. Say I got the car started, data logged and went home and had the data log pulled up and edited the BLMs to + or - 5 of 128 is that considered done for BLM side of things? Next question. If my BLM is right does that mean my part throttle tuning is done? Last question. If my BLMS are correct and applied to my new chip, what would be the next step for my tune? Thank you.

For me, the 1227165 ECM is not a viable option for "Heads / Headers / Cam" upgrades.

For me, step "one" would be to re-pin the 1227165 computer connector wiring for the 1990 - 1992 Speed Density TPI computer 1227730 . . . RIP MAF It's always sad to see good technology replaced with better technology.

For me, step 'two' would be to purchase the EBL_Flash P4 https://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_P4_Flash.php The EBL Flash P4 replaces the 1227730 and has very good "Tuner" documentation.

If I were to do a 4L60E upgrade with "Heads / Headers / Cam" I would re-pin the 1227165 computer connector wiring for the 16197427 PCM and add 4L60E wiring. The 16197427 can be converted to MPFI / TPI, see attached .zip.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dave w; 10-15-2021 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatDude-98 View Post
    Hey Dave thanks for reply. Couple quick Qs. I have a ‘88 TPI 350 with a 176 ECM. Say I was to install heads, headers and cam and want to tune the prom myself. So, hypothetically car is back together, I go to start engine to data log and it starts but won’t stay running to data log how would I go about fixing that? Next question. Say I got the car started, data logged and went home and had the data log pulled up and edited the BLMs to + or - 5 of 128 is that considered done for BLM side of things? Next question. If my BLM is right does that mean my part throttle tuning is done? Last question. If my BLMS are correct and applied to my new chip, what would be the next step for my tune? Thank you.
    I realize my previous post did not answer any of the above questions.

All engines require fuel / air / spark to run. Sometimes tweaks have to be made to the injector flow setting in the PROM chip for Cam / Heads / Headers to get the engine to run. Sometimes distributor tweaks (advance / retard) are needed for Cam / Heads / Headers to get the engine to run.

Closed Loop BLM's and Closed Loop Spark Advance are essential parameters for tuning, all engines need the correct spark advance / spark table and correct fuel injector flow / fuel table to provide optimal performance.

The spark table is likely the most challenging part of tuning, to much spark advance will damage an engine and not enough spark advance diminishes engine performance and can possibly damage an engine too. Factory spark tables are often a good starting point. Possibly install an aftermarket camshaft that is a clone of a factory camshaft . . . like an aftermarket clone of the LT4 and use the LT4 timing table as a baseline.

One method to figuring out injector flow, is to adjust the injector flow so some of the Closed Loop BLM's are rich and some of the Closed Loop BLM's are lean . . . and fine tune from there.

More than a decade ago, maybe even as far back as two decades ago the "Internet Myth" was MAF was more forgiving for Cam / Heads / Headers. Some of that decades old "Myth" seems everlasting on today's Internet . . . but why? "Myth Busted"

1227165 - "Good "for stock engines
    16197427 MPFI - "Better" for Cam / Heads / Headers . . . "Best" with TPI / 4L60E / 4L80E
    1227730 - "Better" for Cam / Heads / Header
    Dynamic EFI P4 for TPI - "Best" Cam / Heads / Headers . . . "Better" requires piggy-back 16197427 for 4L60E / 4L80E

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I realize my previous post did not answer any of the above questions.

All engines require fuel / air / spark to run. Sometimes tweaks have to be made to the injector flow setting in the PROM chip for Cam / Heads / Headers to get the engine to run. Sometimes distributor tweaks (advance / retard) are needed for Cam / Heads / Headers to get the engine to run.

Closed Loop BLM's and Closed Loop Spark Advance are essential parameters for tuning, all engines need the correct spark advance / spark table and correct fuel injector flow / fuel table to provide optimal performance.

The spark table is likely the most challenging part of tuning, to much spark advance will damage an engine and not enough spark advance diminishes engine performance and can possibly damage an engine too. Factory spark tables are often a good starting point. Possibly install an aftermarket camshaft that is a clone of a factory camshaft . . . like an aftermarket clone of the LT4 and use the LT4 timing table as a baseline.

One method to figuring out injector flow, is to adjust the injector flow so some of the Closed Loop BLM's are rich and some of the Closed Loop BLM's are lean . . . and fine tune from there.

More than a decade ago, maybe even as far back as two decades ago the "Internet Myth" was MAF was more forgiving for Cam / Heads / Headers. Some of that decades old "Myth" seems everlasting on today's Internet . . . but why? "Myth Busted"

1227165 - "Good "for stock engines
    16197427 MPFI - "Better" for Cam / Heads / Headers . . . "Best" with TPI / 4L60E / 4L80E
    1227730 - "Better" for Cam / Heads / Header
    Dynamic EFI P4 for TPI - "Best" Cam / Heads / Headers . . . "Better" requires piggy-back 16197427 for 4L60E / 4L80E

dave w

1227165 is great with MAP and up to 3 bar with boost. Running Holden code for a 308.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    1227165 is great with MAP and up to 3 bar with boost. Running Holden code for a 308.
    So running Holden code for a 308, not the original $32, $32B or $6E codes on a 1227165 is a-kin to Dynamic EFI P4? . . . but more affordable? . . . but with less tuner documentation? . . . Hmmm

Please post a link for Holden Code for 308.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    So running Holden code for a 308, not the original $32, $32B or $6E codes on a 1227165 is a-kin to Dynamic EFI P4? . . . but more affordable? . . . but with less tuner documentation? . . . Hmmm

Please post a link for Holden Code for 308.

dave w

$12P and it is highly documented.

https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=375

Fuel Injected!
    https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356

i think fast meant '808 ecu, not '308...

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356

i think fast meant '808 ecu, not '308...
    808 ECU but those ran the Holden 308 V8s.

Fuel Injected!
    noted, my bad.