Thread: total newbie- fiero 3800 series II sc

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!

total newbie- fiero 3800 series II sc

Title pretty much sums it up. I've decided to take the plunge and tune my engine swap. 86 fiero se. Series 2 3800 sc ,manual trans. Plan to use ostrich 2.0 with b4 adapter and tunerpro rt. Obd1. I'm just stumbling along trying to learn as much as possible. Eventually I'm going to switch the car to turbo, hence the interest in diy rather than a mail order tune. Comments, help and direction are all welcome!
    Paris

Which ECM are you planning to use?

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    I'm using the 16183247 ecm. I downloaded the $5b mask and a bin from tunerpro that look like they should work, maybe. I've been playing with them in tunerpro ...trying to wrap my head around how they work. My first real challenge looks like it will be to delete/negate the auto trans functions. Turning the vats offs seemed failrly simple. Then to get it running and start tuning...I haven't done anything crazy to the motor yet, so it should run okay on a basically stock tune.
    Paris

$5B looks to be correct for that PCM. You will also need the ADX to record data.First thing to check in the mask/XDF is to open Mask ID and make sure it is 5B.

Yes a stock tune should run a stock motor, but there may be an issue if tranny was changed or emmissions devices removed, should still run. Then with help of the data logging the ADX in TunerPro will help figure out data coming out including error codes.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    So is there an easy way to disable the auto trans functions since I am using a manual? I also need to figure out how to modify the vss code to work with the existing hardware. Thanks for the encouragement
    Paris

The best thing to do is look for a manual bin to start with.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-