Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: total newbie- fiero 3800 series II sc

Electronic Ignition!

total newbie- fiero 3800 series II sc

Title pretty much sums it up. I've decided to take the plunge and tune my engine swap. 86 fiero se. Series 2 3800 sc ,manual trans. Plan to use ostrich 2.0 with b4 adapter and tunerpro rt. Obd1. I'm just stumbling along trying to learn as much as possible. Eventually I'm going to switch the car to turbo, hence the interest in diy rather than a mail order tune. Comments, help and direction are all welcome!
    Paris

Which ECM are you planning to use?

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    I'm using the 16183247 ecm. I downloaded the $5b mask and a bin from tunerpro that look like they should work, maybe. I've been playing with them in tunerpro ...trying to wrap my head around how they work. My first real challenge looks like it will be to delete/negate the auto trans functions. Turning the vats offs seemed failrly simple. Then to get it running and start tuning...I haven't done anything crazy to the motor yet, so it should run okay on a basically stock tune.
    Paris

$5B looks to be correct for that PCM. You will also need the ADX to record data.First thing to check in the mask/XDF is to open Mask ID and make sure it is 5B.

Yes a stock tune should run a stock motor, but there may be an issue if tranny was changed or emmissions devices removed, should still run. Then with help of the data logging the ADX in TunerPro will help figure out data coming out including error codes.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    So is there an easy way to disable the auto trans functions since I am using a manual? I also need to figure out how to modify the vss code to work with the existing hardware. Thanks for the encouragement
    Paris

The best thing to do is look for a manual bin to start with.

-= =-

I'm wanting to make sure I understand the ECM and Powertrain setup.
    Buick (3.8 Liter V6) 3800 Series II with Supercharger and a Manual Trans, fitted inside a Fiero.
    16183247 ECM/ $5B

I'm thinking $5B would NOT have a maunal .bin ... what Buick after 1986 had a manual trans anyway?

Would it be possible to post (attach) the .xdf / .bin file your thinking about using?

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Dave, I will try doing that when I get home. Should I just post a link , or should I copy the data to here? Powertrain is correct as you have listed. I know this configuration has been done before, I'm just not willing (yet) to pay for a tune that's just a starting point.
    Paris

After selecting "Reply", In the lower right corner of the post window is a "Go Advanced" option. Once "Go Advanced" is active, there is the option to attach files.

dave w

All tuning type files are OK here. If you have one that fails let me know what extension/.xxx and appropriate file size.

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Okay, here's the files I have so far. I think it's everything you were asking for. My ostrich hasn't arrived yet, so I'm still fiddling with things on the pc to get a feel for things.
    Paris
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do you know what year the motor is? Do you have the ECM that came with motor? Can you read the chip from that ECM? Do you know the BCC off that chip?

$5B is for 16183247 in 94 - 95 Buick / Pontiac L67, 3800, Supercharged

There is $5B, $5B1, $5B2, $5B3, $5B4, $5B6 and $5B7...

-= =-

I think there was a supercharged pontiac Grand Prix gts back then that had a manual trans. it was a 3800sc as well...i remember vividly doing recalls on the SC and manifold gaskets....5 a day at least, for 4 months.
    EDIT:never mind, they were all autos.
    Last edited by jameslleary; 07-12-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Mark,
    I'll check the ecm when I get home (late) tonight from work, but I will say I was going to ignore that almost entirely. The series II engines as far as I can tell were never run by an obd1 computer. The fiero swap fix was always to use a computer for a series I engine, swap appropriate sensors and reprogram. I'm starting to wonder if I don't need to go ahead and pay for the programming. I think Ryan at gmtuners will send me the files for 60 bucks ( I'm afraid to use dollar signs here...you guys might read something other than my intentions :) ). I'm pretty well stuck with using the computer I have in there now...it was a real bear to marry the two disparate harnesses. I've absolutely no interest in doing that again. I'm still waiting on the ostrich2.0, but even with that I'm thinking I can't read the existing chip as I have to take it out to put the g4 adapter in...retaining just the knock sensor functions of the memcal....but I could be wrong about that.
    Keep the comments coming gentleman...they are greatly appreciated...I'ts nice to visit a forum and feel welcome!
    Paris

Using an OBDI computer on an OBDII engine is not uncommon. I've recently installed a '7730 ECM on a 1999 Vortec 454, I modified the .bin a 7.4 instead of a 5.7 liter. I'm thinking your going to do something similar to your ECM, modify the .bin for a 3.8 liter. The option of GMTuners is an affordable option to get a baseline .bin and get the engine running.

dave w