Thread: EPA TAKING OUR RIGHTS AWAY TO BUILD AND RACE OUR VEHICLES!?!?

EPA TAKING OUR RIGHTS AWAY TO BUILD AND RACE OUR VEHICLES!?!?

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere so, I'm including a link where you can petition Congress to pass the RPM Act (Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports) sponsored by SEMA. Please take the time to read this and, if you agree, fill out the info and send your letter.

https://www.sema.org/epa-news

Fuel Injected!
    They are absolutely cracking down on people who modify EPA-controlled vehicles and then continue to drive them on the street as registered vehicles. As far as I am aware, they're still grey-area turning a blind eye to actual race cars that never see a public road.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-cooke/t...o-ruin-our-air

In case people haven't read the RPM Act, what it actually does is change a small part of the Clean Air Act to protect manufacturers and sellers by exposing regular people (that is, you folks with "race cars") to additional risk. Essentially, by changing this one line, all a manufacturer or seller or installer has to do is get you to sign a waiver saying that you pledge this will only be used on a race track and will never be registered for use on public roadways, and they're clear of any and all responsibility. However, by doing so, you now expose yourself to litigation by the EPA should they decide to come after people who are illegally modifying vehicles that remain used on public roadways.

In practice, however, what this means is exactly what the article above points out--the EPA won't have enough resources to go after every single individual, and since they can no longer hold the manufacturer, seller, or installer accountable for their actions, it makes it very difficult to enforce the Clean Air Act.

I wonder how many folks around here remember what things were like before the Clean Air Act?
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Here's what our Senator said. I'm surprised she cosponsored the 09/14/21 bill S. 2736

Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me about the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act. I always appreciate hearing from Arizonans about issues facing our state and country. It is important that we have conversations about topics that matter to you and your family, and I hope you will continue to reach out to me and share your perspectives and suggestions.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is the federal agency charged with protecting human health and the environment. The Motor Vehicle Air Pollution Control Act of 1965 and the Clean Air Act of 1970 established federal standards to limit vehicle emissions. These laws prohibit drivers from tampering with or removing vehicle emission controls, and authorize the EPA to fine drivers found to be in violation of the law. Both laws contain an exemption from emission and tampering limitations for cars manufactured exclusively for racing.

On July 13, 2015, the EPA proposed updated Clean Air Act regulations to limit greenhouse gas emissions from cars and trucks. Included in these regulatory changes was a proposal to extend the existing prohibition on removing or tampering with vehicle emission controls to nonroad vehicles, which could allow the EPA to fine amateur race car drivers who convert road vehicles into racing vehicles. After receiving public comment from amateur race car drivers concerned about the implication of this proposed change, the EPA finalized the regulatory updates on April 15, 2016 without changing the regulations for nonroad vehicles. While the EPA chose to forgo subjecting amateur motorsports enthusiasts to federal emissions regulations, some remain concerned the EPA may attempt to do so in the future.

Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) introduced S. 2736, the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act, on September 14, 2021. S. 2736 allows motor vehicle owners to convert their road vehicles into racing vehicles without subjecting themselves to EPA fines or other enforcement actions. Supporters of S. 2736 point to the long history of amateur mechanics and racing enthusiasts converting street vehicles into racing vehicles, and argue such modifications made for racing have negligible effects on overall vehicle emissions. Opponents of the bill worry that creating loopholes in federal vehicle emissions regulations could allow drivers to more easily evade federal emissions regulations. S. 2736 was referred to the Senate Committee on the Environment and Public Works, where it may be considered.

I recognize the importance of addressing global climate change and believe we can reduce emissions as we responsibly develop our energy resources. I support the EPA's efforts to modernize vehicle emission regulations to promote efficiency and reduce emissions. I am also concerned that regulations like those proposed in 2015 threaten to unnecessarily punish amateur motorsports enthusiasts. Arizona is home to many motorsports enthusiasts and has a rich tradition of amateur racing. I cosponsored the RPM Act to guarantee that the EPA cannot infringe on a responsible individual's hobbies or passions. I am committed to continue working with my colleagues to find commonsense, bipartisan solutions to reduce vehicle emissions and address the real challenges of global climate change.

Thank you for sharing your view on this issue with me. Please do not hesitate to contact our office with any future questions or comments. Additionally, if you would like to stay connected to our office with the latest news, legislation, and other useful information, please visit our website, sinema.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Kyrsten Sinema
    United States Senator

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayingWithTBI View Post
    Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) introduced S. 2736, the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act, on September 14, 2021. S. 2736 allows motor vehicle owners to convert their road vehicles into racing vehicles without subjecting themselves to EPA fines or other enforcement actions.
    That is a very carefully-worded response. Read the bill yourself: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...bill/2736/text

As I posted above, what the RPM Act does is neuter the part of the Clean Air Act that lists all the ways that you can violate it, and puts a blanket exemption for off-road vehicles. But let's not bullshit here; numbers-wise there are way more people with """race cars""" that still have registration and insurance and license plates than there are actual dedicated race cars that will never again see the street. And the majority of people I've seen promoting the RPM Act (at SEMA's direction) fell into that former category, having "race cars" that were still "road legal." Those vehicles would still be subject to the Clean Air Act under the RPM Act's changes. The difference would be that normally the EPA could go after the manufacturer of a device or the installer of a device who is complicit in creating these illegal vehicles. Under the RPM Act, the EPA has no choice but to go after every single individual vehicle owner instead (since the manufacturer can just say it's off-road use only, and the installer can just have their customer sign a waiver saying they won't register the car, even if it rolls into the shop with license plate and registration affixed).

So yeah. It's bullshit.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)