Thread: Still having injector issues

Fuel Injected!

Still having injector issues

1987 Chevy R30, 454, 7747 ecu. Some background - under light load, under 2000rpm I was getting a severe lean surge. After months of diagnostics, tuning, reworking grounds, etc... I replaced the injectors and the issue went away. Drove for a short time, started getting a CEL for lean, which progressively got worse to where it started lean surging again. Like extreme surge/bucking. Heavy throttle I can push through it. Changed injectors again and problem went away for a short time.

I am now on my 4th set of injectors in less than a year. I'm using NEW Delco branded injectors. Thankfully Amazon has a great return policy and I've just been sending old ones back.

I tolerated the issue for a few months and finally got fed up and replaced injectors again. I got about 100 miles before the issue started rearing its head again. It is like at low duty cycles the injector can't cycle fast enough because when I put a load on it there are no issues. It is like they are sticking at low duty cycle. Something I have also noticed is that the idle gets high and it gets super rich at idle. When it is running good, fuel pressure is rock steady at 15psi (aftermarket remote FPR). When the injectors are acting up the fuel pressure gauge is fluctuating between 12-15 at idle and as soon as I get up through the surge conditions the pressure is steady at 15 again. When I put in new injectors it is again steady at 15 at idle. This is a pattern. The current injectors are just starting to have the issue where I have the CEL but not the surge yet and fuel pressure at idle is fluctuating 14-15.

I've been through the entire harness. My last update was new connectors for the injectors and I found some very poor splices where a previous owner had repaired a few wires by twisting together and taping them. Now those connections have been soldered.

During that year I pulled and flushed the fuel tanks. They had been replaced at some point because they were super clean inside - no rust, dirt, etc... New fuel filters. I changed gas stations/brand thinking maybe contaminated fuel. I've tried Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel, Lucas injector cleaner, Seafoam, etc... Once the injectors start acting up, they don't come back. I've pulled injectors and replaced their screens with no change.

I'm really at a loss at this point. Like at the point of throwing on a carb level of frustration.

Does anyone know how many amps the injectors should be pulling?

Do you have an original GM set you can send off to be cleaned? Mr. Injector does a tremendous job, cheap. Maybe you could send him one of the fouled sets for inspection as well.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by brian617 View Post
    Do you have an original GM set you can send off to be cleaned? Mr. Injector does a tremendous job, cheap. Maybe you could send him one of the fouled sets for inspection as well.
    I do have a set. I'll look them up. Thank you.

Fuel Injected!
    I can't quite see how an injector problem could make the fuel pressure bounce between 12-15 PSI.
    My fuel pressure is set to 20 PSI and never moves on the gauge from idle to W.O.T.
    So even if your injectors were failing somehow or getting blocked that shouldn't show up on your fuel pressure gauge.

I'd be thinking fuel pump or power supply to fuel pump.
    Fuel pressure regulator or venting problem with gas tank maybe?
    Last edited by Kitch; 09-03-2021 at 07:24 AM.

Administrator
    When the injectors are acting up the fuel pressure gauge is fluctuating between 12-15 at idle
    How is this presenting? Is the pressure needle slowly swinging between the high an low? Ir is the needle dropping rapidly, possibly with each injector event?

I'd be thinking fuel pump or power supply to fuel pump.
    Fuel pressure regulator or venting problem with gas tank maybe?
    Right. First question: Are you using a vacuum referenced pressure regulator? If not the fuel pressure should be very consistent. How the fluctuation presents can help aid in diagnosis. Fast drops may indicate an issue with the volume of fuel being delivered. Slower drops may indicate electrical issues.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    How is this presenting? Is the pressure needle slowly swinging between the high an low? Ir is the needle dropping rapidly, possibly with each injector event?

Right. First question: Are you using a vacuum referenced pressure regulator? If not the fuel pressure should be very consistent. How the fluctuation presents can help aid in diagnosis. Fast drops may indicate an issue with the volume of fuel being delivered. Slower drops may indicate electrical issues.
    It is fluctuating quickly when it is running like crap. Rapid like with each injection event. But when I get the engine above the RPM where it is acting up the pressure holds rock steady. I have brand new later model (higher pressure) pumps in both tanks and it acts the same no matter which tank I have it on. This is also the 2nd regulator I have tried as I originally thought the issue was with the regulator. And it is so rich at idle that it seems an injector is sticking open which is causing the pressure drop.

Has anyone ever cut open a TBI injector?

Fuel Injected!
    http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...ohn-Wilson-PDF

This was an anomaly that we've experienced and in no way I'm saying this is your problem. A little background, this was an unregistered vehicle that could not be driven and we encountered this issue sitting in the stall. I'm sure had we been driving and datalogging, may have seen different results. You can ignore the thread just read comments on page 3...

http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...-TBI-PCM/page3
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 09-04-2021 at 08:55 AM.