Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4.3 V6 ECM on a V8: which way should I go?

Fuel Injected!
    Just a thought and maybe I missed it but did you say you put the 350 fuel injectors back in?
    I would suggest using them. Its very common to get a rolling idle with lean condition. Its only a coincidence that
    it runs "OK" with the 4.3L stuff. Use the 5.7L ECM/injectors. Again its the Tune not the hardware at this point.
    Again as mentioned the EBL flash is a perfect option for this project. With your ability you could have this thing running very well
    with just tuning to the engine that you have using the hardware you have and a chip set to your BPW/BPC and fuel and spark tables
    Byron

[
    Quote Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396 View Post
    You can play around with this calculator... https://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php
    You just need a fuel more psi to make your 61pph flow 65pph.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...sure-Regulator
    stew86: thanks for the info. Awhile back I converted my factory fixed pressure regulator to an adjustable one (very much like the advice given in the reference above) and located it remotely so that it was more convenient to adjust. In combination with a fuel pressure gage on the dash, I experimented with bumping up the pressure to 14-15-16 psi and that didn't seem to make it run any better, and possibly I felt maybe it ran worse. I'm staying with the factory suggested 9-13 PSI. I've got mine set at 12-13 psi; after all, this is what I've heard the factory refer to as a fuel feedback system, right? If the O2 sensor says too rich, the ECM shortens the pulse width (on-time) of the injectors to deliver less fuel; conversely, the system then will go lean and the ECM will increase injector pulse width to deliver more fuel. Increasing fuel line pressure beyond factory spec just makes the system compensate for the the increase. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron454 View Post
    Again its the Tune not the hardware at this point.
    Again as mentioned the EBL flash is a perfect option for this project. With your ability you could have this thing running very well
    with just tuning to the engine that you have using the hardware you have and a chip set to your BPW/BPC and fuel and spark tables
    Byron
    Byron, your post above sounds encouraging. I'm going back to the salvage yard tomorrow in search of another ECM as the 1227747 I picked up a few weeks ago had way worse problems other than a "rolling idle". Or maybe I'm missing something? I'll report back. Somebody else mentioned this "EBL flash" thing. I might entertain that depending on what happens with this next ECM I pick up. What is "BPW/BPC"?
    Thanks Guys for the advice. Regards, Dave

Guys, I'm back from the salvage yard in Killeen, Tx and I struck out looking for a 1228746. They had very few Camaros/Firebirds/Caprices/etc....and then my lightbulb came on and I realized, wth, this is Texas after all, everybody drives a truck. I've only lived here about 5 years. They gave me a lead however for one at a salvage yard in Abilene. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Regards, Dave

Fuel Injected!
    ANLU might be hard to find as it was Caprice cop car w/ 5.7L only. i had one but converted it to EBL almost 10 years ago. I doubt I still have the chip but I can check this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    ANLU might be hard to find as it was Caprice cop car w/ 5.7L only. i had one but converted it to EBL almost 10 years ago. I doubt I still have the chip but I can check this weekend.
    Tayto, thanks for your response. You've solved another piece of the puzzle for me: ANLU is for a 5.7 police car. I got in touch with the salvage yard in Abilene and they have a 1228746 ECM but the 4 digit alpha code is not visible/readable. They told me the computer came out of a 1989 Impala/5.0 with 102K. It would be nice if you could find that ANLU Prom. But your above post makes me question tho: If you had a 1228746 ECM with an ANLU Prom why did you then convert it to EBL? I read up some on this EBL thing and it raises more questions than answers, for a non-programming guy like myself. What is the benefit of EBL? Even if you find the ANLU prom and we make a deal, would it do me any good? Or will I still need to go down the EBL rabbit hole? And what would EBL $et me back? And is EBL bullet-proof/Dave-proof? Would EBL work on the 4.3 V6 ECM (16144288) that I've been using? Could EBL clean up my low speed drivability issue on the 16144288? And if I do get this ECM from Abilene, it could be a dud anyway, and although I can return it I'd be out the cost of shipping X2. I really am a BIG fan of GM TBI, but I'm still on the fence about being able to make this work. Maybe some of you programming/burner dudes could weigh in? I'd hate to take two steps back, but maybe a carburetor is in my future? Thanks Guys, Dave

Fuel Injected!
    Dave if you pop the cover off the ECU (2 screws) the broadcast code is printed on the Chip itself on a grey label if memory serves. I personally owned a '89 cop car and is what got me started on EFI and TBI back in 2007 when I was in trade school. EBL will work in your PCM just fine, I believe the EBL board has jumper pins to select amount of cylinders, 4,6,8. I have my old EBL Flash 1 from 10 years ago that I am not using. Have no plans for it but for what I was getting offers for I decided to keep it. I may be willing to part with it and could load ANLU on it with some minor things adjusted. EBL has self learn, but there is still a learning curve on how computer savvy you are. If not, you could buy the proper chip adapter from moates and I could burn and mail a chip with ANLU on it. You will still need to acquire a '746 preferably from a V8. I hope dave w chimes in this is what he does for a living and would probably be able to help you better remotely than me.

Fuel Injected!
    EBL ran noticeably better out of the box than the stock ECU with basically no changes to the Calibration. That and the self-learn feature with a WB O2. i didn't have chip burning equipment at the time and didn't have a lot of money, so that was my reasoning to getting EBL.

FWIW - I went to the EBL Flash-II on my 88 C1500 after tuning my 7747 with a ZIF socket and flashing SST 27SF512 chips and not getting a satisfactory calibration. The 7747 is only 160 baud rate where the EBL is 8192. The EBL has expanded SA (up to 6375 RPM) and VE (up to 8K RPM)tables. The EBL can run boost and bottle too. With my WBO2 I can tune with WOT too. My engine has some go fast parts but it's in no way a fire breathing dragon. I have it idling in OL (to smooth it out) and going to CL right after it goes off-idle. I didn't know anything about tuning when I 1st started and, after 3 years, I'm still learning, ha ha.

There's a 99 page (and still going) thread over on thirdgen.org dedicated to the EBL which RBob (the designer/builder of the EBL) monitors frequently. Great bunch of guys there too. HTH

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...ispreloading=1

BTW in Scalars it has the 6 or 8 cylinder option.
    Last edited by PlayingWithTBI; 08-27-2021 at 11:18 PM. Reason: FWIW instead of FWIU - doh!