Thread: Transmission ECMs

Carb and Points!

Transmission ECMs

Hi,

Newbe to the forun, retired lifelong gearhead, trying to help my 2 college age boys with EFI. They both have GM 4WD pickups and Fieros. I have a 34 Ford glass coupe w/a 2001 Corvette drivetrain and suspension, a 71 Chevelle SS coupe, and a 65 C-10 that I'm deciding what to have the Boys do with it, but EFI is way up on the list.

Both 4WD pickups ahve 4L60 transmissions, one is a 93 and the other is a 97. Both transmissions have been rebuilt more than once and have been problematic, to say the least. The 97 acts like it is out of fluid when it is cold, and the 93 just dumped 3rd gear.

We have purchased a 5sp standard setup for the 93 to hopefully increase gas mileage and reliablity. My son did not get the computer with the transmission, when he bought it, and now the truck has been crushed.

Has anyone here done this conversion and does anyone have any information on how to modify the existing electronics so that the computer will stop searching for the 4L60 transmission. Also we would like to retain the important features of th OBII system, but not the error codes from the missing transmission?

Thanks,

LW and The Boys

Re: Transmission ECMs

I moved your topic so it has it's own thread. Welcome GearHead!! :mrgreen:

The 93 should be an OBD1 system and very easy to replace the ECM or chip (I beleive it has a MEMCAL) You could probably just burn a new chip with correst paremeters. Moates has an adapter board that goes in that ECM (we really need the number) and uses a flash chip on the adapter board. Usually they will burn the stock chip BCC on the chip if you buy the chip and adapter. Under $50. Look up Moates.net or call Craig when you get there. Tell them we sent you.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

As EagleMark mentioned, if you can post the ECM service number, it would help direct you more specifically.

It is likely a 16197427 or 16198063, but it would be nice to verify.

You should be running $0D code, that is for TBI V6 and V8 in the CK pick ups, with 4L60E transmissions, up to 1995.

This code is highly adaptable, and has settings that can be changed to run a manual, or even non- electronic automatic trannies.

Before I get into those details though, posting your ECM service number will help me from posting information that may not pertain to you. ;)

Sounds like you have quite the stable, would be nice to see some pictures. :)
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the delay, the truck is in Syracuse (800 miles away from me) with my Son in college.

He finally found the ECM Service number, which is 16168625 and there is another # on it that is 16194315. Hope this helps. We're not sure what this truck came with from the favtory, as he bought it with 200K on the speedometer and a fairly new Goodwrench longblock 350.

He actually drove it down the road, last night, with no problems, but the speed sensor is not wired up yet, so who knows what's going to come up as far as codes go, after that is hooked up?

Thanks,
    LW

16168625 is the service number.

It looks like it is using $E6 for code.

I don't have any experience with this code, but I'll see if I can take a look and see if I have anything on it, about changing tranny settings and such.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-p ... tions.html
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.