Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frankenstein Astro van

Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    I did however have an issue with a bosch pump that would push enough fuel at a high enough pressure to overload the TBI regulator and make the engine run rich. I never got any real specs for it but it was from a AFI Kit that a buddy ordered.
    That must have been an old system! They bought cheap chinese pumps years ago... cost $6 a piece for 10k of them, around the time I left...

I've had good luck with Bosch and even better with Carter, but Carters are noisier because of the better vane drive.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    That must have been an old system! They bought cheap chinese pumps years ago... cost $6 a piece for 10k of them, around the time I left...

I've had good luck with Bosch and even better with Carter, but Carters are noisier because of the better vane drive.
    Oh it is good pump, no doubt about that, but it was too much for a stock TBI. I think we installed his kit somewhere around 2003?
    Last edited by gregs78cam; 07-07-2012 at 11:43 PM.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Long before the cheap pumps started in 2007ish...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Your right there is no regulator other than the stock one in the injector pod. I need to just put a fitting on it and check the pressure. I think the pump may be failing. I drove it many hundred miles before this became an issue. The o2 sensor probably isn't helping. I had thought of that. The exhaust has only been that way since the AWD swap. I did drive it some with no issues tho. I never thought to unplug the sensor. I'm going to try that first thing when I get home. It may be failing to. Everything on it has over 200K. It could very possibly be a combination of issues. It will run right for a short amount of time after you start it(open loop). I never had the intake manifold off, just the throttle body. All gaskets are new. The reasons I just went ahead and used the 98 pump was because I already had it and I have a torquer manifold for it when I get around to it. I know I'm going to need more fuel eventually. Need to get some headers to(why I havent touched the exhaust :) I think the torquer manifold will complement the tbi set up where all cylinders will get use of both throttle bores. I'm hoping it will perform similar to my 3.8 in my 86 delta with its factory single plane manifold and small profile cam.

Administrator
    I drove it many hundred miles before this became an issue.
    Ahh. The old "I'm not going to tell you everything about my truck unless you think to ask about it" trick. I've fallen for it before.

It's not like I omitted it on purpose lol. If I attempted to tell you everything about this monster we'd be here a while. A lot has happened in the year ive had it. Plus I'm forgetful. I came to the conclusion it is failure of the fuel pump. I took it out the other night and almost didn't make it back from the end of town. The injectors were barely puttin fuel out. I basically idled home. Has and one had any experiance with the external pumps with stand alone regulators that are on eBay for like $50?

Administrator
    It's not like I omitted it on purpose lol.
    no prob... I should have thought to ask.

I've used Ford external pumps before but you still need a decent pump in the tank to make it work. I installed a Ford in tank pump in my Pontiac because I don't like how fast the GM pumps wear out.

Try a 90 or 91 Grand Prix Turbo pump for price. They're usually the cheapest.

No problems with inline pumps at all, I used one with my TPI, and am currently using one with my TBI.
    I prefer Walbro, or NAPA(not sure who thats made by), and a friend uses this regulator on his 3/4 5.7 89 Suburban.

As they say a mechanic is only as good as his tools. Turns out I have an incorrect timing light. I was on the porch the other night after changing the fuel pump to that out of a 92 Sun Bird; Beer in hand I realized there wasnt a driveability issue until adjusted the timimg putting it back togather. So I bolted off the porch to the van, reached inside with my handy 9/16in wrench and loosened the hold down screw. After a few seconds of ear and foot adjustment I was able to make 110+ mile an hour runs with very little driveability issues (I'm sure they can be tuned out). Im going to get another timing light to do it right I'm it will run great. Not sure how long the transmission will last tho. It drops into OD at about 105 and its all those clutches want to hold down that 350. I haven't even installed my Torker intake yet. I Think the single plane design will work well with the TBI unit. Any cylinder will have the fuel and air availibilty of both bores instead of just one. Im sure it wont run any worse.