Thread: Hello Gearheads!

Carb and Points!

Hello Gearheads!

Hello,

My name is Hunter Lankford, I am 22 years old. I have a beautiful wife and 10-month-old daughter.

I am currently swapping and an LM7 5.3 into my 1989 F-150 4x4 with a 5-speed.

This is my first time trying to do any sort of programming / flashing of a PCM, so I will need many pointers if you guys are willing to give them.

I am unsure of which bin file and XDF file that I need for my project I can give details below if you guys could help me determine what would be best.

My motor is a '99 to 2002 drive by cable 5.3 vortec. The original OS of my PCM is 9381344. I have read that it is best to flash the PCM to a different operating system, but I am not aware on how to do that. Which operating system would you recommend?

Also, for the XDF file I need to delete VATS, emissions related stuff, and transmission controls. What other things would you recommend me deleting? My truck will not run a VSS due to the manual trans and non-abs.

Any help is much appreciated, like I said I am very new to this and wanting to learn. I will have my notepad ready lol.

Thanks,
    Hunter Lankford

Gearhead-efi link for OBD2 Tuning Information: http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...2-OBDII-Tuning

One challenge, regardless of the OS system you decide on, is the 5.3 was not mated to a manual trans from the factory. It's easy to modify a flash if everything is all original, like a 5.3 / 4L60E. There are many ways to "solve" the 5.3 with manual flash. One option is to flash with a 4.8 / manual or 6.0 manual modified with 5.3 engine parameters. Often the term segment swap is talked about when modifying a 4.8 or 6.0 flash with 5.3 engine parameters. Segment swaps need to be within the same OS, like OS 12212156 that was used for 2002 4.8 / 5.3 / 6.0.

dave w