Thread: The John Wilson PDF mentions rebuilding TPI fuel injector.

The John Wilson PDF mentions rebuilding TBI fuel injector.

So in my studying information I've come across John Wilson's first printing, 03/03 "How to Build a GM EFI System." I hope this is a good source of information. I've been studying it for awhile. On page 11, in the paragraph starting with "When buying a used TBI," John talks about dismantling a TBI fuel injector, cleaning it and then putting it back together with threadlocker. I couldn't find any information at all about this on the Internet, no pictures or anything. I have four 80 pounds per hour TBI fuel injectors, one of which wouldn't cycle with a 9 Volt battery or a 12 Volt battery. So I figured I would take it apart as John talks about in his paper. I put it in the milling machine, and machined out the three welds on the top he talks about. Next, with a 3 millimeter Allen wrench I was able to unscrew the plug, taking careful note how many threads were sticking out of the housing. Three days later, after soaking it, blowing it out with air, spraying it with carb cleaner and banging it on a 2 by 4 and pushing the pintle valve back in and doing it again and again, I was able to get pintle valve and spring out. I then cleaned them up lubricated them with ATF ,and put it back together with the red loctite, again being sure of the number of threads sticking out, and lining up the machine marks. I now have a spare injector.

I thought I'd try and post this here 'cause I couldn't find it anywhere else on the Internet. Hope this helps someone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geewhiz; 07-26-2021 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Title said TPI should be TBI
    John

Sorry, I can't figure out how to edit the title, it should say throttle body injection, TBI not tuned port injection TPI.
    John

Thank you for sharing your TBI injector disassembly experience.

dave w