PDA

View Full Version : engine stalls when trying to execute tune

carcaper
06-30-2012, 11:59 PM
I have been trying to figure out why the engine stalls when I am in live tuning using tuner pro 5. Whe I commit to changes or upload to the current bin the engine stalls every time. I have all the check box enabled to use whole tables in data aquishtion. Also want to know why my guages won't keep the values after I exit tuner pro 5. I have had more trouble than ever using tuner pro this time around. I had better luck the first pc I had it installed on. I don't understand why I am having so much difficulty just becasue I loaded it on a different pc. The first time I used it it seem flawless and I was able to suceed. I am either getting dumb in my older age or something has changed drastically.

EagleMark
07-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Your old age memory loss is getting worse? You just posted this twice... :yikes:

gregs78cam
07-01-2012, 04:23 AM
I have only tried uploading the entire .bin once while engine running. It did not like that. Had to shut off, wait for time out, upload, verify, then everythign was fine.

Six_Shooter
07-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Odd, I upload complete bins regularly, while engine is running without issue.

What are you using for hardware? I know some people have issues with Auto Proms whne they upload whole tables or bins.

Have you disabled checksum?

34blazer
07-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Odd, I upload complete bins regularly, while engine is running without issue.

What are you using for hardware? I know some people have issues with Auto Proms whne they upload whole tables or bins.

Have you disabled checksum?

i havent had any problems either. thats odd

gregs78cam
07-01-2012, 08:10 PM
AutoProm = yes
Checksum Disable = yes

Six_Shooter
07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
What happens when you don't upload whole tables?

carcaper
07-07-2012, 11:41 PM
same no matter if whole tables or not. I looked through the menus and I am not finding where to disable checksums. When I bring up the data aqu there is no check box to disable like it says its supposed to be in the help section. I am using autoprom interface. Why is there no check box ? wtf

gregs78cam
07-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Open XDF parameter "Mask ID", change whatever Hex value you have there ($0D, $31, $42) to 'AA'.

Then save .bin, then upload and verify. You should then be able to emulate.

Six_Shooter
07-08-2012, 04:14 AM
Open XDF parameter "Mask ID", change whatever Hex value you have there ($0D, $31, $42) to 'AA'.

This^^

carcaper
07-08-2012, 11:26 PM

dont mean to sound stupid but im not finding anything that says XDF parameter "mask ID" anywhere to even find let alone change

I opened the xdf edit parameter but nothing is labeled "mask id" only thing i'm seeing is "address hex"

can't find what your talking about

EagleMark
07-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Maybe someone has not entered it in the mask/XDF? What mask/XDF? You can also change it in hex if we knew what bin/BCC/chip.

Six_Shooter
07-09-2012, 01:22 AM
What XDF are you using?

carcaper
07-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Maybe someone has not entered it in the mask/XDF? What mask/XDF? You can also change it in hex if we knew what bin/BCC/chip.

Is there somewhere I can educate myself about what your talking about? I don't even know what a mask is, why you have one or what it does. I dont even know what you are asking me. I need someone to speak english. I do understand the the xdf defines the binary and I think I understand thats what the software uses to edit the binary. I understand that binarys are 1's and 0's or ons and offs. I do not have an electronics degree nor am I a computer programmer so I can't comunicate in computer programmer language. I understand completly what fuel injectors and ignition timing does and there affect on horsepower, economy, driveability etc when they are in perfect tune. I understand inputs and outputs and what the computers do with them to alter the end results but I am lost when it comes to understanding what is happening inside the box. I don't understand i/c chips and I have no idea how or what software does to control them. Maybe if I could understand some of these things I could understand what and why you are asking me. I do not like things to be hidden from me when it comes to learning. I feel as though I am reaching into a bag hoping to pull out the lucky answers which is not the answer. I am very disappointed of the limited software help section thats available. There has got to be a better way when it comes to learning software programs for tuning, these things like masks etc are far to difficult than they could be if it were more user friendly. Usally there is description and operation that explains in advance how and what the software does. and when you do a keyword search for something embedded into the software for settings you can find it if you type it in the help search. I am sorry but this is not the case for me anyways. Nothing comes up in the help for mask ID settings that I can find.

carcaper
07-09-2012, 01:58 AM
I am using $DA3-16159278.xdf please tell me why you are asking these questions why does it make any difference which one I am using? why do you keep hiding these things? I dont understand.

carcaper
07-09-2012, 02:00 AM
dont you guys remember in school when the the teacher taught you to use complete sentences?

gregs78cam
07-09-2012, 02:12 AM
I am using $DA3-16159278.xdf please tell me why you are asking these questions why does it make any difference which one I am using? why do you keep hiding these things? I dont understand.

If you don't know what Mask ID you have, then how do know you are using the proper .xdf? We are not hiding anything, you asked about uplading a "tune" and you can't even tell us what your Mask ID is?

$DA3 should be your Mask ID.

carcaper
07-09-2012, 03:12 AM
The question is how do I find the mask ID I know what xdf I am using cause I loaded it. That don't tell me what mask I am using. As I said earlier the check box is nowhere to be found in the software, in this case it is tuner pro 5. I have looked through the menus and I can't find the place to adjust the mask ID.

EagleMark
07-09-2012, 03:12 AM
dont you guys remember in school when the the teacher taught you to use complete sentences?We are, but you have not completed your english assignment in EFI!

Originally Posted by carcaperI am using $DA3-16159278.xdf please tell me why you are asking these questions why does it make any difference which one I am using? why do you keep hiding these things? I dont understand.
Yes it matters! If you use the wrong one it won't work or get wrong data.

Your obviously confused if you think we are hiding anything, we just thought you were up to speed with tuning termanoligy. Your not, when you don't understand a term read here or ask.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-pcm-conversion/efi-dictionary.html

This will explain the mask ID.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?466-TunerPro-starter-Tutorial!-New-users-this-is-a-must-read

This will help you look up your car. Or you could tell us year, make and model with engine size and if you know the engine RPO code?
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?523-TunerPro-ADX-and-XDF-lookup!-Find-your-files-here

This will tell you what the RPO codes are, start looking at "L" if your using $DA3 your motor should be a 1993 RPO Engine Code LT1 which uses mask ID $DA3.

Pretty much all out in the open, still think we are hiding something? :rolleye:

:rockon:

carcaper
07-09-2012, 03:27 AM
Thank you Mark, this is what I needed to understand. I will read this stuff and see what I can do next. Maybe I will find it now.

carcaper
07-09-2012, 03:32 AM
ok i read about the mask but someone said to change something to "AA" in the mask ID. Where do I do this?

gregs78cam
07-09-2012, 03:42 AM
I don't have my laptop with me, but I am sure someone will open that .xdf and see where the location for Mask ID is for you.

carcaper
07-09-2012, 04:06 AM
is this something I change with the hex editor?

gregs78cam
07-09-2012, 04:12 AM
You can change it with the hex editor if you know the location, but there should be parameter under the constants tab in the parameter tree on the left.

EagleMark
07-09-2012, 04:33 AM
I don't have my laptop with me, but I am sure someone will open that .xdf and see where the location for Mask ID is for you.He's right, it's not there?

is this something I change with the hex editor?Yes but I added it to an improved XDF I made for a customer. It is the first paremeter in scalers.

I will also include the updated ADX. They work together for data tracing. Load of dashboards, not all defined, right click and choose what you want. Seperate item lists. Three monitors. History tables and all the tricks I put into these files when I work on them.

EDIT: If you downloaded the XDF before reading this, delete it or overwrite it with the XDF attached. It had Mask ID displayed as calculated value, not hex... sorry...

carcaper
07-09-2012, 04:34 AM
cannot find the constants tab or the parameter tree i tried right clicking left clicking menus wow I must not have the same version of tuner pro 5 you have

EagleMark
07-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Doesn't look like you even downloaded the XDF yst so how would you open it? Click XDF, Select XDF...

In TP click Veiw, Show Paremeter tree, Scalers and first one is Mask ID... have no idea how to work on a bin without paremeter tree?

carcaper
07-09-2012, 05:12 AM
Doesn't look like you even downloaded the XDF yst so how would you open it? Click XDF, Select XDF...

In TP click Veiw, Show Paremeter tree, Scalers and first one is Mask ID... have no idea how to work on a bin without paremeter tree?

the first one in my list under scalers is: fuel cutoff, 1st gear (eng speed)

carcaper
07-09-2012, 05:15 AM

Yes I downloaded and selected them both still don't see where to disable the checksum

carcaper
07-09-2012, 05:24 AM
moates says this has to be done to emulate successfully

http://support.moates.net/autoprom-apu1/

Six_Shooter
07-09-2012, 05:54 AM
We need to know what files you are working with, so that we can help you dianose any issues your may be having. The more we know about your set-up and application, the easier it will be to help you. This is akin to someone saying to a mechanic "my car doesn't run right, what's the problem?" without any farther description or ability to diagnose the issue.

dont you guys remember in school when the the teacher taught you to use complete sentences?

Don't you remember when your elders taught you to research what you needed to know? I won't even get into how your sentence is not complete sentence itself.

Getting pissy and insulting will not help your cause. That will only get you less help and known as a whiner, not only on this site, but many others. You have to realize many of us here have been tuning for many years, we ask certain questions to have a place to start from, without some basics any help would be shooting in the dark. You need to crawl before you can walk, so slow down and listen to what we are saying and if you don't understand a question, stop and ask for clarification, without getting pissy, it will help others to help you.

I have a feeling you're not using the correct files for your application and this is what is causing your shut down issues. I had a similar situation today while working on Turbo Regal. I was switching between codes while it was running, which I know better than to do, but frustration was getting to me and forgot a step.

EagleMark
07-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Yes I downloaded and selected them both still don't see where to disable the checksumWell better download and save again and open the correct copy, because I just did and Mask ID is there.

EDIT: Along the same lines as Six Shooter we really need to know what your working on to find correct files. I asked once, you didn't respond, so I just helped with files that are way better then anything on the net for $DA3... $DA2 is a differant XDF/mask for modifying the bin/chip, but they both share the same ADX for datalogging.

EagleMark
07-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Sorry, I had uploaded wrong file, Mask ID is now fixed and shows in hex, not calculated value. I was rushing and blew it... :homer: