PDA

View Full Version : L31 conversion

85ChevyC20
06-09-2021, 06:12 AM
Hi everyone,

So I have a carbureted 350 engine in my truck. I want to make it fuel injected but I don't want to spend 2800$ on a EFI kit. My plan was to convert it to a L31 vortec, I have a good 4 blot engine and their basically the same thing So what ive done so far is I bought a intake manifold and the wiring harness from a running L31 from the internet for under 300$ (used) the harness is in great condition and so is the intake. I got rid of the black box and did a 0411 on the harness. The issue I have is this; I have a manual valve body 700r4 in my truck that you obviously can't connect to the harness. Since there won't be a transmission hooked up to the harness will the engine run badly or even run at all? any advice?

thanks

trlrider
06-09-2021, 06:34 AM
The problem is not the engine running badly, but the 700R4 not having the cable connected it cannot adjust pressures correctly and will soon burn up.
You will need a conversion for the cable on the 700R4 to sense throttle position.
I believe there is a kit available to do this, but my brain is pretty much fried at the moment and cannot remember the supplier.

85ChevyC20
06-09-2021, 06:53 AM
The throttle body that came with the intake manifold has a stud for the kickdown cable. I was just going to get a bracket for it and put it on haha

trlrider
06-09-2021, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=85ChevyC20;88568]The throttle body that came with the intake manifold has a stud for the kickdown cable. I was just going to get a bracket for it and put it on haha[/QUOTE

If you have not already, you can use the pcm for TCC lock-up, there are provisions for this in several .bins. Or you can switch in for manual lock-up in it. My 700R4 has a kit that comes from Monster Transmissions. When the switch is on, the TC will only lock-up in 4th gear. With the switch off it does not lock at all.