PDA

View Full Version : 2003 lq4 with th400 transmission

K1 s10
05-10-2021, 02:03 PM
Need bin file 2003 lq4 with th400 transmission

dave w
05-10-2021, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure there was a factory application 2003 LQ4 with TH400 transmission.

Gearhead-efi link for OBD2 tuning, including .bin files: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forumdisplay.php?32-OBDII-Tuning

dave w

Fast355
05-10-2021, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure there was a factory application 2003 LQ4 with TH400 transmission.

Gearhead-efi link for OBD2 tuning, including .bin files: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forumdisplay.php?32-OBDII-Tuning

dave w

I would have to look on the 03 file, but in my buddies 02 0411 HPTuners file it was as simple as flipping the switch in the transmission option tab from 4L80E to Non Computer Automatic and reflashing the entire PCM.

2xls1
05-11-2021, 02:31 AM
I would have to look on the 03 file, but in my buddies 02 0411 HPTuners file it was as simple as flipping the switch in the transmission option tab from 4L80E to Non Computer Automatic and reflashing the entire PCM.

FYI changing that setting is for ID purposes only and Does Not change the OS to a Non Computer Automatic calibration or Manual Trans calibration which is what you should be running with a T400.

dave w
05-11-2021, 03:45 AM
It appears a custom flash is needed. Often there is debate on the specific details of a custom flash.

I think Deceleration Fuel Cutoff (DFCO) parameters / tables are different, Manual Transmission vs. Automatic Transmission. It would be interesting to compare nearly identical flashes from a specific application, like maybe a 2003 Express Van with 6.0 liter Automatic vs 2003 Express Van with 6.0 liter Manual. Maybe the DFCO comparisons is a waste of time? Maybe nearly identical flashes don't exist for the 2003 Express Van application to a comparison? Maybe the Operating System is different Manual vs. Automatic?

The joys :jfj: of a custom flash.

dave w

Fast355
05-11-2021, 04:19 PM
FYI changing that setting is for ID purposes only and Does Not change the OS to a Non Computer Automatic calibration or Manual Trans calibration which is what you should be running with a T400.

It absolutely changes it. Switched the setting, reflashed the PCM and all the related codes for the 4L80E no longer being plugged in went away. Its a software switch, similar to the TBI PCMs options. Truck is running low 8s in the 1/8.

2xls1
05-11-2021, 05:51 PM
I would invite you to post that oh HP Tuners forum and see the replies you get.

dave w
05-11-2021, 08:07 PM
There's been an evolution for custom flashing an ECM or PCM in the last two decades. Before the days of low cost DIY flashing, the software / hardware options for flashing an ECM or PCM were not budget friendly.:mad1: Some of the older commercial software / hardware packages had limited options or more accurately stated underdefined definition files (nobody needs that stuff anyway). Commercial packages like EFI Live do not offer a "bit" to convert an automatic transmission calibration to a manual transmission calibration. EFI Live still supports gasoline engine tuning, but EFI Live has overwhelmingly embraced the diesel engine tuner as their preferred customer base. Commercial packages like HP Tuners have evolved since it's introduction to the marketplace. Some HP Tuners "bits" that used to be available (possibly emissions related bits) have been removed from the latest versions of HP Tuners.

dave w

2xls1
05-11-2021, 10:22 PM
There's been an evolution for custom flashing an ECM or PCM in the last two decades. Before the days of low cost DIY flashing, the software / hardware options for flashing an ECM or PCM were not budget friendly.:mad1: Some of the older commercial software / hardware packages had limited options or more accurately stated underdefined definition files (nobody needs that stuff anyway). Commercial packages like EFI Live do not offer a "bit" to convert an automatic transmission calibration to a manual transmission calibration. EFI Live still supports gasoline engine tuning, but EFI Live has overwhelmingly embraced the diesel engine tuner as their preferred customer base. Commercial packages like HP Tuners have evolved since it's introduction to the marketplace. Some HP Tuners "bits" that used to be available (possibly emissions related bits) have been removed from the latest versions of HP Tuners.

dave w

Not sure I'm understanding the relevance of this. The bit is still there in in HP Tuners and has for the most part always has been. I'm stating that it is widely accepted by the hundreds of people that use that product regularly which includes me, all agree that is is there for identification purposes only and does not change a auto calibration to a manual. You have to either segment swap the calibration or start with a manual file. If it did I doubt GM engineering would populate the manual transmission calibrations with different segments. They would just flip the switch. I'm not here to argue with anyone, I'm just stating what I know and a very large tuning community on HP Tuners forum knows to be a fact.

2xls1
05-11-2021, 10:34 PM
It appears a custom flash is needed. Often there is debate on the specific details of a custom flash.

I think Deceleration Fuel Cutoff (DFCO) parameters / tables are different, Manual Transmission vs. Automatic Transmission. It would be interesting to compare nearly identical flashes from a specific application, like maybe a 2003 Express Van with 6.0 liter Automatic vs 2003 Express Van with 6.0 liter Manual. Maybe the DFCO comparisons is a waste of time? Maybe nearly identical flashes don't exist for the 2003 Express Van application to a comparison? Maybe the Operating System is different Manual vs. Automatic?

The joys :jfj: of a custom flash.

dave w

Here you go. 2002 LS1 Camaros. One auto one manual.

dave w
05-11-2021, 11:13 PM
Not sure I'm understanding the relevance of this. The bit is still there in in HP Tuners and has for the most part always has been. I'm stating that it is widely accepted by the hundreds of people that use that product regularly which includes me, all agree that is is there for identification purposes only and does not change a auto calibration to a manual. You have to either segment swap the calibration or start with a manual file. If it did I doubt GM engineering would populate the manual transmission calibrations with different segments. They would just flip the switch. I'm not here to argue with anyone, I'm just stating what I know and a very large tuning community on HP Tuners forum knows to be a fact.

I don't own HP Tuners. I use TunerCats or EFI Live. I'm not auguring either, just acknowledging some packages offer features other packages do not offer. Over time most packages evolve with new features and / or features removed.

dave w

Fast355
05-12-2021, 07:56 PM
I would invite you to post that oh HP Tuners forum and see the replies you get.

Why would I want to waste my time doing that? I did it and it worked. Don't need the input of 100 people that have not tried it.

Those same guys are also convinced that you cannot get actual lean cruise to work as well. My Express van has had actual lean cruise enabled for years.

dave w
05-13-2021, 04:12 PM
Likely gearhead-efi member K1 s10 is looking for a Plug-n-Play custom .bin file? Possibly there is a gearhead-efi member that has done the homework for the custom .bin file and will share?

It appears there are numerous ways to customize a .bin file, depending on the software being used to customize the .bin file, and provide the same results?

dave w

Fast355
05-13-2021, 07:56 PM

I have a 1 meg 05 or 06 L31/5spd Mexican GMT800 file that had all the automatic shift tables populated. I did swap the 4L80E segments into that calibration to run the 4L85E in my L31 van when I did that swap.

That setting is in fact a calibration switch. I have used it in several non computer controlled automatic calibration swaps. Never have tried it with a manual so cannot comment there. I can tell you from experience swapping from a 4L80E to a TH400 in my buddies 6.0L swapped GMT400 running on a 2002 0411 tune, I flipped that setting, did a rewrite all and all the codes related to the 4L80E being unplugged went away and the truck drives flawlessly. The next day that truck went into the 12s in bad weather conditions in Houston at the Cleetus and Cars event. 2-3 tenths quicker than it ever ran.

I just looked at an 05 6.0L/4L80E 2500 truck tune and it appears the manual trans settings are in fact there as well in the tune.

lionelhutz
05-14-2021, 07:49 PM
Try that bit to switch a manual bin into operating an electronic auto bin and tell us how well it worked out.

Fast355
05-15-2021, 04:09 AM
Try that bit to switch a manual bin into operating an electronic auto bin and tell us how well it worked out.

I bet it works for a 60E anyway.

Fast355
05-15-2021, 04:09 AM

I bet it works for a 60E anyway. Probably not an 80E since it was a light duty 350 calibration.

dave w
05-15-2021, 04:14 AM
The original poster is looking for a .bin file. I seriously doubt the original poster is interested in building a custom .bin file. What works and what doesn't work is not at all interesting to the original post.

dave w