PDA

View Full Version : New here, need some direction on IH EFI conversion.

jay harvester
04-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi, new to the site. Sorry if this post is in the wrong spot. I am looking to convert a carbureted International Travelall V8 392ci engine to mpfi. It is close to 5000 lbs so I am leaning toward fuel economy (but looking to add turbo in the future) I am very ignored when it comes to fi, ecu, ecm ect. I know for fuel economy, I seek sequential firing injectors. (non batch firing, one firing at a time) And would be nice to control my ignition as well. I will be fabricating my own intake, will be something like a tpi system. So basiclly I need to choose an ecm. I frequently see 1227727 or 1227730. Also heard good things about ford's eec VI. Woldn't mind the ford system because I was already thinking of the edis-8 ignition. So are either of these ecm capable of individual injector firing? Or if not can they be adapted to do this? If not what ecm do I need for this?
Thanks people for any input from a rookie! ;)

Six_Shooter
04-07-2011, 07:14 AM
The '7727/'7730/'7749 can not do SFI. IMO it's not really needed either, unless you are trying to get the lowest possible tailpipe emissions possible. I don't see any real mileage advantage to it either.

The '7727/'7730/'7749 can all work with a forced induction set-up by using the proper code. I use the '7749 with code 59 ($59) to run my Nissan turbo 2.8L I6.

These ECMs can all control the ignition system as well, but they won't play nicely with the EDIS system, since the communication signals are slightly different.

I don't know much about the FORD EMS, but I am learning, slowly. So far I prefer the GM systems from a DIY standpoint much more than the Ford EEC systems.

I split your post off from the other thread and changed the title to something that more suits the topic.

Also you may want to post in the introductions forum. ;)

Welcome, and hope you find this place useful. :)

Lucky
04-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Most of the Ford EEC IV and V systems run sequential fuel injection - IF they have a MAF. The speed density stuff didn't as far as I know. I don't believe GM went to SFI until the OBDII systems. Mega Squirt has an add-on module which can run four injector drivers sequentially - so you could do "four batch" or "semi sequential" with it on an 8 cyl.

I seem to recall that Ford had an oddball speed density-sequential system on one of it's boosted vehicles - maybe the Lightning for a couple of years - but the rarer a vehicle is the less likely you are to find hardware and software support to tune it.

Compared to reworking the GM 7730 system to run my Toyota engine - I found rigging the Ford EEC V from one 4.6 for running a different 4.6 to be a lot easier. That is, tuning the Ford MAF systems isn't that hard - but if you are looking at boosting the engine in the future I think the GM system will be easier in the end. Just my .02 ;)

I agree with SIX that the SFI was more of an emissions tool than a mileage tool. Remember too - to use SFI you need to tell the computer where your cam timing is at - not just your crank timing. Ford used either a PIP distributor with one special tooth on the reluctor wheel or a cam position sensor so the EEC knew which injector to fire - if that signal is not present it resorts to batch fire mode anyway. SO plan how to supply that signal if you want SFI.

RobertISaar
04-07-2011, 11:03 PM
GM has been making SFI motors since AT LEAST 1986(3800s)

it's nothing special though.

jay harvester
04-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Thank you guys for all of that helpful info. Will keep yall updated on the route that I piclk. But knowing me, I am pretty adventurous and may end going with an all ford system. (I used to have a 4.6 thunderbird and loved it and miss it!! So I maybe :lol: a lil biased)

EagleMark
04-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Hi, new to the site. Sorry if this post is in the wrong spot. I am looking to convert a carbureted International Travelall V8 392ci engine to mpfi. It is close to 5000 lbs so I am leaning toward fuel economy (but looking to add turbo in the future) I am very ignored when it comes to fi, ecu, ecm ect. I know for fuel economy, I seek sequential firing injectors. (non batch firing, one firing at a time) And would be nice to control my ignition as well. I will be fabricating my own intake, will be something like a tpi system. So basiclly I need to choose an ecm. I frequently see 1227727 or 1227730. Also heard good things about ford's eec VI. Woldn't mind the ford system because I was already thinking of the edis-8 ignition. So are either of these ecm capable of individual injector firing? Or if not can they be adapted to do this? If not what ecm do I need for this?
Thanks people for any input from a rookie! ;)

Hi Jay, Thanks for stopping by, I see everyone is giving you a hand and ideas to go on.