PDA

View Full Version : Throtttle Bodies

mudbuggy
04-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Ok, I was junking today, looking for parts for later on when I get my knowledge correct, I can then institute that knowledge and use it immediately. I was looking for a throttle body for my truck, and I think I found one. I did my homework, went out in the garage, dumped my little toolbox out on the floor, and started to size up what I needed to pull a throttle body. Tools in hand only what was needed, so that I don't go nuts, bringing home axles, blocks, etc, etc. I walked around for about 20 minutes looking at this and that and finally found a good donor off of a 89 gmc converson van. I liked this because even though the motor was uncovered, it wasn't immediately outside in the elements. Got a tbi unit, two injectors, a large air cleaner, and a small air cleaner - $40.00

It looks just like what I have on mine, bolt locations and sizes match. Is this the only throttle body GM or chevy used for all tbi unit? If not what are some of the others? What's the difference between the 350 tbi unit and the 454 tbi units? Size only?

Six_Shooter
04-06-2011, 05:41 AM
The 454 TB has larger throttle bores and larger injectors.

lightning-jr
04-06-2011, 07:10 AM
The 454 TB was made with two base configurations, the early model a "small" & late model "large" footprint.

EagleMark
04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
The 454 TB was made with two base configurations, the early model a "small" & late model "large" footprint.
I never heard that before. I know the newer, like 95 BBC had smaller injectors and ran higher pressure.

Six_Shooter
04-07-2011, 01:48 AM
I never heard that before. I know the newer, like 95 BBC had smaller injectors and ran higher pressure.

I'm with you on this one.

I've only ever heard of one TB gasket or "size" for the GM 2 bbl TBs.

There are some variations that have to do with throttle linkage and IAC style, but that's about it.

EagleMark
04-07-2011, 05:01 AM
Well no, the Big Block Chevy has 2 inch bores and the 5.7L and 5.0L had 1 11/16th and then theres a two barrel smaller and a one barrel.

But the Big Blocks had two sets of injectors a 75lb and 80LB but the 95 injectors went to like 4.3l injectors at double presure.

dave w
04-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Found this pic on the net. Hope this helps.

dave w

EagleMark
04-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Well I'll be darned. Took a look at the two I got in the shop and one is the newer larger footprint. Is that the one with smaller injectors?

dave w
04-07-2011, 03:23 PM
The adapter plate required to use the newer style 454 TBI!

dave w