PDA

View Full Version : Newbie joining the forum

JF in MI
06-10-2020, 11:26 PM
Hi all. My name is Jim and I'm trying to learn a bit more about EFI fine tuning. About me; Am retired and used to work for Siemens medical instruments division in their manufacturing engineering department. Before that I was 26 years as a fully certified NAISE auto technician. Way back then, right about when the Internet started, I joined a fledgling group of online auto technicians when they only had 2000 members. It was an emotional salvation because it helped me realize that I wasn't the only one in the world who ran into difficult oddball diagnostic problems. Just knowing that someone on the other side of the country was having the same issue with the same car made me feel that it wasn't all me. I'm hoping for a similar experience here. I got out of the automotive field just as fuel injection was becoming the norm so I'm lacking a bit.
Why I'm here; I have a pet project I'm working on that I'll be asking questions about as soon as I collect a little bit more data to pass on. I have an antique 1960 Corvette that was originally born with Rochester fuel injection. Unfortunately this system is reputed to not run well (or at all) on today's pump gas so it was converted to carburator. I found an original, non functioning fuel injection unit for it and converted it to TBI EFI mounting the throttle body on the vertical run by a 1227747 ECM by Affordable Fuel Injection. This thing runs fantastic except that during deceleration the idle drops so low that it occasionally stalls before it "catches" and resumes stable idle. I've been working with a CATS $42 chip tuner program with no results so far so stay tuned.