PDA

View Full Version : OS 12579405

j23
05-21-2020, 03:49 AM
Hello all, I am new to the tuning world so far. Long story short I got impatient after a month and a half of shops and others supposed to program my truck. I found an xdf file online and tried using it with my stock bin file and have an issue. The xdf file was found from my os number.I used ls droid to install the tune. The problem I have is my truck will not start, the computer is not monitoring the transmission, and the throttle actuator is not responding either. The xdf file was for an 04 truck not my 03. I tried to install the stock bin file but it will not work. Any one have an info on what I can do to fix this? It is my daily I knew what may happen but tried it anyway. I was trying to turn fans on as I did a factory fan conversion. I have another computer coming so I will have it running soon. I can communicate with the ecm with a scan tool with out problem. Thanks

Jonah

B52Bombardier1
05-21-2020, 05:03 AM
If your new tune file is a stock, original, unchanged tune, it likely still has "VATS" enabled (Vehicle Anti Theft System). Your file needs to be cracked open and have VATS, among quite a few other things, turned off. I use a program called Tuner Pro RT to edit my tunes though there are others. See picture below with a view of a different BIN file than yours but the basic idea is the same.The VATS area is at the top of the parameter tree.

Rick

j23
05-21-2020, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the response. I used the tuner pro rt program and had my stock bin with an xdf file I found online. I hooked my scan tool to the vehicle and its setting a throttle actuator code with a reduced power message. The transmission is only registering park and no other gears. No security light or codes. So I would have to turn off the vats on any tune I do to my vehicle? Does this turn off the vats completely? I tried to install my stock bin back into the computer but no go. I am trying to learn more on this procedure and learn what I can. Thanks again

B52Bombardier1
05-22-2020, 01:25 AM
Is this an LS engine or something older? What transmission?

Rick

j23
05-22-2020, 01:53 AM
My 03 sierra 5.3 with the 4l60. When I mentioned my stock bin I meant out of the computer in the truck. I am trying to install my stock bin back into my computer and so far it isn't loading into my computer.

j23
05-22-2020, 03:29 AM
And do you know where I can get the xdf file I need for my os? Thanks

B52Bombardier1
05-22-2020, 04:28 AM
There are several other OS BIN files that have valid, well defined, nicely-featured XDF files for 5.3 liter vehicles with 4L60E transmissions. Simply abandon 12579405 and go for a completely different tune for a 5.3 / 4L60E. I'm running several different here:

As best that I can tell, 12579405 has no associated XDF.

Rick

j23
05-23-2020, 05:46 AM
Thank you for your help. That would explain why I had issues. What's the difference between the files you listed? I was trying to turn on my fan function at this time. I will mess around with other things later.

j23
05-23-2020, 05:49 AM
I looked up those files and they are listed for the 512kb computers. mine is the 1mb computer. Will these still work?

B52Bombardier1
05-23-2020, 06:03 AM
Try 12587603. It is for a P59, 1 MB file and it is richly detailed with e-fan support. You still need to have the correct wiring, relay and air conditioning tie-in to get it to work but the necessary software support for e-fans is there in this file.

The BIN and XDF for this OS is here on the site but I will post it here again if you need it.

Rick

j23
05-23-2020, 06:31 AM
Thanks Rick you have been a huge help. I have all the factory wiring, relay box, and fans from a donor truck. I already pinned the pcm for the control circuits. I was under the impression from research that my pcm was already set up for fan controls but they were turned off. That could be wrong but I figure it worth a try and see if it works. if I can get all of it figured out then I will venture to more things I will mess with.

j23
05-24-2020, 03:47 PM
B52Bombardier1 I have questions about the files you gave me. The fan option in the files list a fan #1 and fan #2. Is that for speeds as in fan #1=low speed and fan #2=high speed or does it stand for one fan and the other fan since there are 2 fans? Also how many times can you program a computer? Thanks for all your help

B52Bombardier1
05-24-2020, 05:35 PM
Hello,

I don't believe there is a maximum number of times that a PCM can be programmed but it can be damaged . . . aka "bricked". There are often ways to recover a bricked PCM but there is no recovery from some types of damage. The PCM must be removed from the vehicle, the lid removed, PCM connected to a bench harness and power supply and a certain pin on the PCM printed circuit board briefly grounded at power up. This gives you a short opportunity for a tool such as LS Droid to take control of the PCM and put it into recovery mode. Quite often, the PCM devices get bricked when flashing a tune with the PCM still installed in the vehicle. Given the time it takes to write the tune, the vehicle battery voltage often falls below 12 volts and this kicks the legs out from under the PCM at a very critical point.

That P59 OS can control two separate fans. Each with different turn on and turn off speeds and temperatures. That 7603 OS can do all of that if your wiring, relays, power, grounds and tie-in to the A/C system support it.

Rick

1project2many
05-25-2020, 04:56 AM
I don't believe there is a maximum number of times that a PCM can be programmed

Maybe folks are referring to the average number of flash cycles that the flash chips can endure before they fail?

B52Bombardier1
05-25-2020, 05:18 AM
Could be that question. Yes, certainly could be. But is that number of flash cycles before failure so low as to be relevant? I have flashed a few of my PCM's perhaps a half a dozen times to no ill effect as far as I can tell. Does anybody know how many times a GM P01 or P59 can be flashed? I have not seen this question asked or answered before . . . good question.

Rick

steveo
05-25-2020, 06:08 AM
the chips have a tested and a designed minimum number of erase/rewrites but the maximum is an unknown.

the 28F512 chips i work with are designed for a 100,000 write cycle minimum life span. newer ones can handle more.

with a 100k life span, that means if your year 2000 car was reflashed 13 times a day every single day of the year since it was made it would just be reaching that theoretical maximum now but would likely keep going for way longer.

In-Tech
05-25-2020, 07:46 AM
I did some "burn till fail" flash and eeprom testing about 20 years ago and even then they were good for over 100,000 erase/writes and that was flipping each bit. Even then, failure wasn't complete, just failed on the first try. Incomplete erase(fuse) is the usual failure and mostly due to low voltage. Write fail(blowing the fuse bit) is usually a condition of low voltage too but can truly be many other reasons. The substrate technology is, of course, better now and has been improving since day 1.

I'm playing with some boot repair stuff on the lt1 computers, wish me luck :)

steveo
05-25-2020, 08:04 AM
good luck! i think that tom fella is really close too. i have a supposedly bricked obd-ii ecm waiting to test on....

In-Tech
05-25-2020, 11:35 AM
Thanks, I am very confident Tom will accomplish his goal. I am still working on an almost strictly software attack via the obd port. I finally got my order from china of extra chips, sockets, adapters, zif's and such so I can kill stuff at will :happy:

j23
06-02-2020, 04:03 AM
Another question I have is I must be missing something or doing something wrong. I bricked my original computer and another computer I have. I did successfully clone a computer to my original bin and it works fine. I just reflashed one of the bricked computers and it finished the program but still not correct for my truck. Any help I can get I would appreciate it. I am using my stock bin file with different xdf files listed on this site but no luck. Using the tuner pro program to do the bin and xdf files modifications. Using the ls droid to program. My stock bin file is from os12579405. Is this the issue?Thanks guys

B52Bombardier1
06-03-2020, 03:08 AM
If you somehow force fed a BIN file to your PCM that had been edited with a mis-matched XDF, then yes, that could be an issue. This situation would generate erroneous checksums that could "brick" your PCM.

If you are adamant about sticking with your 9405 original operating system, you will likely need to seek someone equipped and skilled with HP Tuners or EFI Live. As far as I can tell, there is no matching XDF file for use with OS 12579405.

Rick

j23
06-04-2020, 04:47 AM
Hey Rick and others thanks for the responses. Rick I am not stuck on using the bin file I have it is the only one I have and the bin from my original computer. I just need something that works. If you have any other bin files that will work for my 03 sierra then I will take it. The xdf files you told me about just don't work with my bin file I guess. I know you said you have done several with no issues. So I am all ears for help and info. Thanks again guys.

B52Bombardier1
06-04-2020, 05:01 AM
The 12587603 BIN and its associated XDF file should work for your 1 megabyte PCM. Did you find this set of files? They are on this site or I could send them to you.

Rick

j23
06-08-2020, 01:40 AM
I didn't find those files. I would greatly appreciate if you did send me the files. Hopefully I can get those to work for me. Still have not been able to get the fans working yet but I know I should be able to with these files. Thanks again.

Fast355
06-08-2020, 02:56 AM
Could be that question. Yes, certainly could be. But is that number of flash cycles before failure so low as to be relevant? I have flashed a few of my PCM's perhaps a half a dozen times to no ill effect as far as I can tell. Does anybody know how many times a GM P01 or P59 can be flashed? I have not seen this question asked or answered before . . . good question.

Rick

Have flashed both my P01 and P59 in my Express van hundreds of times.

B52Bombardier1
06-08-2020, 03:44 AM
Hello,

I can send them to you by regular email or you can find the BIN here:

https://github.com/BoredTruckOwner/LS_Based_Engine_Repository/tree/master/.BIN%20Files/P59_1Mb

And the XDF here:

https://github.com/BoredTruckOwner/LS_Based_Engine_Repository/tree/master/.XDF%20Files/P59_1Mb

Rick

j23
06-10-2020, 04:37 AM
That would be great. My email is jrlsonoma@yahoo.com. Thanks for your help

speed8319
08-29-2020, 03:16 PM
Could you send me the 12587603 BIN and xdf files as well thanks speed8319@hotmail.com

B52Bombardier1
08-29-2020, 03:34 PM
Check your email . . .

Rick

chaingun427
05-17-2021, 06:24 PM
Hello,

I can send them to you by regular email or you can find the BIN here:

https://github.com/BoredTruckOwner/LS_Based_Engine_Repository/tree/master/.BIN%20Files/P59_1Mb

And the XDF here:

https://github.com/BoredTruckOwner/LS_Based_Engine_Repository/tree/master/.XDF%20Files/P59_1Mb

Rick

Apologies for bringing this thread back from the dead, but it's the most recent I've found referencing 12579405 xdf.

Using the 2004 xdf linked appears to be extremely offset, nothing matches up with values that make any sense

B52Bombardier1
05-18-2021, 03:43 AM
That's because an XDF meant for 7603 absolutely will not work with a 9405 BIN.

Rick

zachary
01-27-2022, 07:45 PM
hey mr j23 was wondering if you ever got your truck running using the 12587603 bin and xdf, i have a 2003 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 lm7 5.3 with a p59 os 12579405 and i want to tune a computer for it so i can make it a little more fun to drive, please get back to me.

Zach