PDA

View Full Version : chevy tbi need help

trucktbi
05-19-2020, 08:10 AM
hi i have few question and was hoping for advice/help

i got an old 60's chevy truck and someone swapped a tbi engine in it .

truck does not go over 50mph...no power. it feels good around the block but not on freeway....pedal on the floor and it feel like i dont go faster than the tembleweed
truck always start the first time
it idle good.cold around 1300 rpm warm arond 900 rpm
when i drove it around the block and got it warm it would stall at a stop sign / red light/on gears . but not in park
no back fire at all
spark plug look good may a lit bit on lean side...but just a bit
did a compression test and its fine
fuel pressure 12 psi
vacum gage 21
tps is good
injector are good
new fuel filter
gas tank clean
throttle body super clen
i checked the timing , timing is a 0 with the advance wire unplug ( i find out the timing light flash was not consistent ...sometime i can see a dead spot...not constant.. i tried different wires ans swap spark plug its still does it and not matter what cylinders i have the timing light connect to )

wiring was a little jack up but was able to rewiring the obd connector to get the code out.
here the code and here the real trouble .

#31??

ecm
SERV NO 1227747
86 ANLW K391031991

i cleared the code... scanned it again .. find less codes but newer ones like #25 #35... turn off the keys..clear code again..
grounded ( A12)ecm directly to battery , scanned again
and all the first 9 codes came back

before i start to chase ghost and stuff........
do you guys think it could be a faulty ecm ?

dave w
05-19-2020, 04:10 PM
Fuel ... Air ... Spark something is not right. Let's venture into Spark. I'm wondering if the TBI engine is using the FACTORY TBI EXTERNALLY MOUNTED IGNITION COIL?

https://chevythunder.com/HEI%20remote%20coil%20V6-V8%20%20testing%201.jpg The chevythunder pic shows how to test the FACTORY TBI EXTERNALLY MOUNTED IGNITION COIL

Sometimes pickups built in the 60's used a resistor wire for the points ignition coil. Sometimes the resistor wire is reused to power the FACTORY TBI EXTERNALLY MOUNTED IGNITION COIL. The FACTORY TBI EXTERNALLY MOUNTED IGNITION COIL uses a 12 AWG power wire from the ignition switch to the coil, WITHOUT a ballast resistor or WITHOUT resistor wire. What is the voltage on the TBI externally mounted coil when the engine is idling?

dave w

trucktbi
05-20-2020, 07:44 AM
Fuel ... Air ... Spark something is not right. Let's venture into Spark. I'm wondering if the TBI engine is using the FACTORY TBI EXTERNALLY MOUNTED IGNITION COIL?

https://chevythunder.com/HEI%20remote%20coil%20V6-V8%20%20testing%201.jpg The chevythunder pic shows how to test the FACTORY TBI EXTERNALLY MOUNTED IGNITION COIL

Sometimes pickups built in the 60's used a resistor wire for the points ignition coil. Sometimes the resistor wire is reused to power the FACTORY TBI EXTERNALLY MOUNTED IGNITION COIL. The FACTORY TBI EXTERNALLY MOUNTED IGNITION COIL uses a 12 AWG power wire from the ignition switch to the coil, WITHOUT a ballast resistor or WITHOUT resistor wire. What is the voltage on the TBI externally mounted coil when the engine is idling?

dave w

thanks for your reply

yes i do have a factory externally ignition coil
i tested it and kept that on paper
test1 : 00.5
test2 : 1100
test3 :i think nothing was showing i would have to test it again
test4 :00.6

about testing the voltage of the coil with engine idling... i dont know how to do it...im researching about that

i will have to look for that ballastor resistor but i doubt .but i will look deeply
i cant tell the person that swap the engine used the complete wiring harness from the donor truck ..complet engine harness , complete fuse boxe with harness for light and also the truck donor column steering...i only see new wires

i was curious and open the ecm , and saw a jet perfomance chip....( i dont know if that matter ?)
while engine idling with a multimeter at 20v , i get 0.02 volt on the ecm case??? is that normal ? ecm case doesnt touch the body or anything metallic