PDA

View Full Version : l31 1970 Nova

foppert
03-10-2020, 04:52 AM
Hi all, new to the board and reading around.

I have a 1970 Nova that is currently running on a carb L31 vortec mated to a 5 speed manual. I have been looking how to convert it to EFI with an emphasis on efficiency. I was considering the many available TBI units from various manufacturers, but i have the original intake manifold with an MPFI upgrade just sitting on the shelf and decided that TBI feels like a step backward.

Looking to see if i can get it up and running with an OEM PCM 0411 or like, ill be looking for one of the ones that eliminates all the emissions/transmission headaches.

Thanks all.

dave w
03-10-2020, 06:17 AM
:welcome:

The '0411 is good option. Does the L31 have Crank Position Sensor and Crank Position Sensor TRIGGER WHEEL already installed?

dave w

foppert
03-10-2020, 06:47 AM
Hi Dave, yah it has the 4 toothed wheel and corresponding sensor from when it was in the truck, and i have a stock style Vortec distributor for it. I only took of the intake manifold and related parts and just set them aside when i swapped this motor in... Hell i think it even still has the knock sensors in the side.

I so far have pulled the 2002 Chevrolet Express Van Automatic "L31 5.7L 4L60e 2wd (12212156) Lean Cruise" bin and the corresponding "OS12212156 - 2002 512kB PCM - v5" xdf. I figure my first course of action is pulling the transmission block from the 2002 Chevrolet "Silverado Truck Manual LM7 5.3 Litre (12212156)" bin.

Beyond that it is figuring what i can remove from the emissions controls. The engine internals are bone stock, so the only power mods are some long tube headers and glasspacks. I am aiming for efficiency/driveability over power, the car has a Camaro T5 that will grenade if i try and make any real power.

All help and guidance is appreciated. I have messed with friends megasquirt units before, but have been a carb guy before this.

dave w
03-10-2020, 03:23 PM
A nearly stock '0411 low resolution 4x crank position system is a good system to begin learning EFI. The '0411 has very good aftermarket support, and reasonably affordable.

Link to gearhead-efi OBD2 information: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forumdisplay.php?32-OBDII-Tuning

dave w