PDA

View Full Version : Now that's a burned valve!

jim_in_dorris
05-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Well, now I know why this engine was a $100 core. I have been disassembling it to see what I was going to have to do to rebuild it, and when I got to the passenger side head, I found out. The funny thing is, as bad as that valve looks, the seat doesn't appear to be trashed. So, I am crossing my fingers and hoping that I don't have to rebuild the seats on that cylinder.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/jim_in_dorris/DSCF2153.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/jim_in_dorris/DSCF2152.jpg

1project2many
05-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Rode hard and put away wet. Make sure to check the guides for excessive play.

jim_in_dorris
05-14-2012, 12:48 AM
I was going to see about bronze valve guides. I am also looking at undercut stainless steel valves and Z28 springs. I think the heads will be the most expensive part. I looked at a set of world SR torquer heads already set up, and found a set for $700. If the heads start to approach that, I will just do that. I really need to find the flow numbers for those heads with the SS valves installed. The only draw-back to just switching to the WP heads is that it is $700 all at once, instead of little pieces at a time. If I get the old car sold, then no problem.

1project2many
05-14-2012, 12:59 AM
I've had good luck with PBM parts for budget engines. Used to joke that "PBM" stood for Please Buy Me but really, not bad for the $$. Watch out for OEM Z28 springs. Had to buy 40+ of the things a couple years back to get 16 that would test to spec. Had a friend at the dealer and he was getting them at cost which is why we kept plugging away at GM. Understand about piecing together a big dollar job. I have to do that all the time.

jim_in_dorris
05-14-2012, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the springs. I just need springs for .550 lift, and those looked like the best buy. Will look some more I guess.

Jim_Rockford
08-16-2018, 04:13 AM
yeah the whole "Z28 spring thing is like x rods and "Vette heads, its all BS just get some good skip white springs.