PDA

View Full Version : Electric speedometer hookup

09-11-2019, 08:11 PM
Can I use the VSS signal for the SW electric speedometer? If so where do I tap into it?

RBob
09-11-2019, 10:42 PM
Hi, which EBL Flash system do you have? And what type of input does the SW speedometer require? The VSS input/output varies among the systems.

Odds are you can.

RBob.

09-12-2019, 03:22 AM
Hi, which EBL Flash system do you have? And what type of input does the SW speedometer require? The VSS input/output varies among the systems.

Odds are you can.

RBob.
I have the EBL Flash-II
The speedometer needs 12v
Input 3K-100K per mile Hall effect sensor or magnetic sensor

RBob
09-12-2019, 03:16 PM
The typical PPM for TBI setups is 2K PPM. The VSS input to the ECM is on A10, it is a digital signal that swings from 0 to 12 volts. So that part is OK.

If the vehicle has a magnetic VSS, that is usually a 4K PPM or higher (depends upon which type). So that can be used.

RBob.

09-12-2019, 04:55 PM
The typical PPM for TBI setups is 2K PPM. The VSS input to the ECM is on A10, it is a digital signal that swings from 0 to 12 volts. So that part is OK.

If the vehicle has a magnetic VSS, that is usually a 4K PPM or higher (depends upon which type). So that can be used.

RBob.

I have a 2K sender from JTR. Can I just splice into the A10 lead for the speedometer?

RBob
09-12-2019, 05:42 PM
That won't work with the SW speedometer, as the lowest it requires is 3K PPM.

You may be able to use a Dakota Digital SGI-5 box to bump the VSS PPM signal to a higher value. And feed the SW speedometer from it. I looked at the SGI-5 instructions and bumping up a 2K signal is not mentioned. Best to get in touch with them to see if it can.

The input to the SGI-5 box would be from ECM pin A10. A digital, 2K PPM signal.

RBob.

Eds
09-12-2019, 08:56 PM
That won't work with the SW speedometer, as the lowest it requires is 3K PPM.

You may be able to use a Dakota Digital SGI-5 box to bump the VSS PPM signal to a higher value. And feed the SW speedometer from it. I looked at the SGI-5 instructions and bumping up a 2K signal is not mentioned. Best to get in touch with them to see if it can.

The input to the SGI-5 box would be from ECM pin A10. A digital, 2K PPM signal.

RBob.

Another option that may be considered is to add either a SW vss P/N 82623B or JTR vss 4PRS mounted in tandem and wired independently to their respective device. My Jeep is set up this way for a variety of reasons and works just fine.