PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting BLM

ggenovez
04-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Hi all,

I did a search on BLM prior to posting so please don't flame me if I missed it..

Newbie at the site, but I've programmed my ECM before. I have a 90 suburban that was getting 20MPG prior to blowing out the chip (long story)

Anyhow, In the past I've used winaldl, and there was a program called aldltobin that would convert the blm.txt file to a new bin file. Is there a similar app for tunerpro? or will tunerpro generate a file similar to winaldl?

Thanks everyone...
G

EagleMark
04-20-2012, 09:17 PM
:welcome2:

No flamming here! Maybe a little ribbing once in awhile but that's about the worst of it.

TunerPro will but need an outside program like ALDLtoBin. Dave built us a spreadsheet to insert BLM data from TunerPro RT and VE tables to adjust VE tables and re insert to bin. Fairly easy. But TunerPro is so much more then WinALDL! You'll never look back.

Take a look in this info thread for TunerPro ADX, XDF files, the spreadsheet, bins tips and tricks.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?304-1227747-ECM-Information-42

ggenovez
04-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Thank you,

Ribbing I can take. Actually laming doesn't bother me either. I don't understand how some people can get "that" upset...

Yeah, I've been playing with some of the settings on TP, and i'm very impressed. The only issue I have found is adding items to the dash. I though the spark advance was a cool little item, but when I added it the whole thing went blank. I think that since the % was full from everything else, and I set it to pretty much 100% it override it. is there a tool for creating dashes as well?

Probably in the link above right? :thumbsup:

EagleMark
04-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Won't need dashs if you get the ADX from above link as it has more then you'll know what to do with. Just right click on a gauge and choose what you want there!

We're all freindly here and all help each other, great bunch of guys! Never had a bad attitude yet, never banned anyone, never even a warning and I hope it stays that way! There are no rules other then PG13 content and that is not even written. Learn and share! :thumbsup:

ggenovez
04-20-2012, 11:25 PM
appreciate it my friend.

JeepsAndGuns
04-21-2012, 02:12 AM
It would be cool if the next version of tunerpro could have a feature that would take the blm log and apply a correction and then apply the new values to your fuel table, then you can check over and manually smooth/tweek it.
If there are programs out there that do it already, I think the guy that made tuner pro could be smart enough to make and add this feature. We can only wish!

EagleMark
04-21-2012, 03:24 AM
With all the things TunerPro does I'm surprised it dosen't already?

srobertsfsj
04-21-2012, 03:43 AM
It would be cool if the next version of tunerpro could have a feature that would take the blm log and apply a correction and then apply the new values to your fuel table, then you can check over and manually smooth/tweek it.
If there are programs out there that do it already, I think the guy that made tuner pro could be smart enough to make and add this feature. We can only wish!

I agree, that would be a nice feature. What I did for now is set up a new custom tool to open the VE correction spreadsheet in excel.

RobertISaar
04-21-2012, 03:44 AM
i'm sure mark could impliment it... i mean it's essentially like using data tracing, just instead of only watching where hits are happening, it can apply correction as well... and should you be emulating.... could update in real-time.

i honestly don't know how difficult it would be to do something like that though.

ggenovez
04-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Seeing that we have a spreadsheet that can do it. the math is simple BLM/128*VE

RobertISaar
04-21-2012, 05:47 AM
there are situations where you don't want it to be correcting though... anytime you're in AE/DE/PE/DFCO or immediately after leaving one of those states...

since corrections assumed to be needed in VE could actually be needed elsewhere, and you'll end up with a mountain range for a VE table and still not be right.

now, if you could setup how long to ignore O2 readings after leaving those situations.... that could be useful. but you could also be right on the verge of going into AE/DE(think moderatly fast throttle movements) that in reality need AE/DE action, but don't receive it.... then you have the same problem...

steady-state is a requirement for good results. in the 45 minutes it takes me to get to a town i normally travel to, i'd say my foot stays perfectly still for about 2 minutes total.

ggenovez
04-21-2012, 06:09 AM
True, but at that point you put as an option in each part of the code in each of those sections and put a variable for your target BLM

or if not AE/DE/PE/DFCO then adjust BLM...

Sounds like you need to replace your foot with a stick ;)

RobertISaar
04-21-2012, 06:19 AM
more like i need to move out of areas that are comprised of nothing but hills. :laugh:

but, at least i've managed to pull 37MPG with a 3300 lb car.

ggenovez
04-21-2012, 06:42 AM
NICE! Make those hybrids cry.... Incredible what we can do without the extra 20K price tag... Volt takes 27 years to break even... http://www.bluegrasspundit.com/2012/04/good-news-you-can-break-even-on-chevy.html

RobertISaar
04-21-2012, 06:54 AM
well.... in the city, hybrids will win, every time. just not possible to make a gasoline powered car of this size/weight do that well in the city. on the highway though, i'd like to think i'm doing pretty well. or at least "good enough" for a 17 year old car with 200,000 miles on it. especially since i can pick up more or less identical cars for $1000-1500 all day long, most of which are more optioned than mine. :D

anyways.... back on topic?

Six_Shooter
04-21-2012, 09:36 AM
The reason your dash went blank is because "100%" means that 100% of the width and/or height of the dash is the new gauge. If you want a gauge that is one quarter of the dash, say the top left corner you would set the gauge settings to be Top 0%, right 50%, left 0%, bottom 50%. The 0% is referenced to starting from the left side and the top of the dash.
If you wanted a gauge that was the top right hand corner, the settings would be Top 0%, right 100%, left 50%, bottom 50%.

You can use all sorts of in between settinsg to change sizes and positions of the gauges.

EagleMark
04-21-2012, 02:34 PM
there are situations where you don't want it to be correcting though... anytime you're in AE/DE/PE/DFCO or immediately after leaving one of those states... I turn off DE/PE/DFCO/EGR/Hiway-Lean then do a data log for BLM and it has been so close to spot on with AE left on. Vehicle just drives to bad without AE to get good data, and AE will be there when done. Has worked well for me.

anyways.... back on topic? This could be added to everyones signature... :laugh:

ggenovez
04-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Mark, can you share what the setting are to turn those features off?

gregs78cam
04-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Or better yet, Mark, add a sub-heading to XDF parameter tree with copies of these XDF parameters, for a quickly accessible way to turn them off without searching through the whole XDF tree. :thumbsup:

EagleMark
04-22-2012, 05:02 AM
That's a good idea! :thumbsup:

Let me think about this reorganization while I sleep off this 65 degree yard work day... probably AM I can get er done!

EagleMark
04-23-2012, 06:07 AM
I reorganized the $42-1227747-V4.3.xdf and added categories. Load the xdf and click View, Show Parameter Tree, then Parameter category. You'll find one for Turning off for Data Logging. Each one has instructions. Also use the parameter comments!

ggenovez
04-23-2012, 05:30 PM
NICE!!!! The MGP from hack is that new? and how accurate is it?

EagleMark
04-23-2012, 06:42 PM
It's pretty close... you have to do the BPW hack, then it uses that with other calculations. I haven't worked on it enough yeat to get overall MPG but if you look at it in history table you can find a sweet spot for higway driving. I found 3 MPG in my brick shaped Suburban at 65MPH compared to 75MPH. But no difference at 55MPH.

ggenovez
04-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Very cool. I've modified the bin an will burn it in soon. I have the same brick suburban you do. so the gauge should read GPM, not MPG... :D So after I get the BLM re-ironed out and spark to the best MPG, anything else we can do to get MPG? for this chip that's all I'm interested in...

POZE
04-26-2012, 05:02 AM
I travel through that rolling terrain often and don't get 37 MPG with a four cylinder. Good tuning. GM might want that back so they dissect it. Forty Five minutes almost puts you at Milford.

RobertISaar
04-26-2012, 05:06 AM
they can buy it back for twice the MSRP, adjusted for inflation. :D

i could get into a new (as in not quite released yet) impala for that payout. then again, maybe i want to trade this W-body for the last one to ever roll off the line in the next couple of months....

EagleMark
04-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Very cool. I've modified the bin an will burn it in soon. I have the same brick suburban you do. so the gauge should read GPM, not MPG... :D So after I get the BLM re-ironed out and spark to the best MPG, anything else we can do to get MPG? for this chip that's all I'm interested in...
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?351-Enable-Highway-Cruise-on-1227747-ECM