PDA

View Full Version : Need help tuning my calibration on a 0411 with road runner emulator using TunerCat.

Aksl
01-23-2019, 01:51 AM
Hello everyone,

I`m having difficult time trying to tune my calibration file with TunerCat, i`m new to tuning calibrations myself. Their is nothing difficult, but the problem is, all forums with info & instruction i find are for other software, like HPtunner or EFILive. More for HPtunner, and the function tables and settings their are named differently, and i don`t semm to find them in TC.

My setup is 1990 LT1 small block 5.7 engine, with vortec heads an manifold and TB of a 1998 5.7 Tahoe, KB pistons, comp cam 08-467-8 with 58* of overlap, AC DELCO 217-3029 89060440 spider injectors, with 0411 Road Runner Emulator, NO EGR, NO VATS, NO CAT`s, NO REAR O2`s. Nothing really special...

The Engine starts only when i apply the accelerator pedal, by about 15-20%, runs reach, smells, does not have cold start and does not hold idle if i let go the pedal.

Could some one please provide a link to some learning source with info & instructions on TunerCat Specificaly. LT1pcmtuning,com is good sourse, but mainly for ODB1 i guess and too much general info. I have found and lost a forum, where someone specifies what every table in TC does and stand for in a more easy to understand way then TC help on calibration, and some instructions on idle tuning, but i`ve lost it and can`t find it.

I could have payed for the calibration to some tuning company or salomon from LT1pcmtuning.com, but want and need to learn my self, because in future want to try upgrading to many things, like marine intake for example.

Or may be someone would be kind enough to gide me...

Could you guys please have a look at my .cal file, and give yor opinion and sugestions where i have to start making changes, for now all i did, didn`t give me any result, like i wasnt doing anything at all... But i have played with VE tables, Spark tables, idle tables, and got no feedback from the calibration.

Thank you in advance, if some aditional information needed, please tell me, i will provide.

Fast355
01-23-2019, 02:46 AM
I am assuming uou are running an automatic trans. You are going to need a 3,000 stall minimum for that cam. Cam is also really too big for stock Vortec heads as well as the compression ratio you will be at. Finally the stock intake manifold will choke that engine off from making power over about 5,200 rpm. I personally would back up and punt. I would not go over 220* intake duration with 210* being preferable. About 8-10* more exhaust duration than the intake. GM has a great little cheap roller cam made by Crane.
GM 94666492

Cranes equivalent number is https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-104224/

That being said I can give you some guidance on tuning what you have but I feel you will never be happy with that cam in your mostly stock 5.7 Vortec.

That cam is going to want ALOT of air at idle. First I would open the throttle plate minimum air set screw about 3 turns. Then using a scanner with the key on and engine off back off until the TPS reads Zero. From there raise your warm idle speed to about 1,000 rpm. Start with about 1,600 rpm at the coldest value and smooth it down as the temp increases. Set your idle airflow in the warmed up portion of the Park/Neutral to about 15 gms/sec. Set your In-Gear to about 18 gms/sec. I would bump the coldest temp values about 10 gms/sec and smooth the table down to the warmed up value. I had a similar cam I tuned in a 5.3 and had to drill a hole in the throttle plate to get it to idle in gear. The IAC could not bypass enough air to maintain idle speed in gear with the much lower than stock idle vacuum. Set your idle timing table to 26° in the 0-1,200 rpm range from 20-70 kpa and taper down to about 20° at 100 kpa. Finally set your MAF high fail frequency to Zero and set the MAF high code to set a DTC on the first failure. That will disable the MAF and allow you to tune the VE tables. That cam with its abysmal dynamic compression ratio is going to want ALOT of timing in the lower RPM range. I would set any timing value less than 20° to 20°. in the 90-105 KPA range, 20 @ 400-1,200, 22 @ 1600, 24 @ 2000, 26 @ 2,400, 28 @ 2,800, 30 @ 3,200-redline as a starting point then interpolate the values across from about 40 kpa for each RPM row. Should see higher numbers throughout.

EDIT- I forgot you said 0411. Disregard the KPA, I had Black box in my mind. Will get back with you on a timing map in Excel.

Terminal_Crazy
01-23-2019, 02:47 AM
Hi
I only program LT1’s but have used TC in the past.
Basics...
I presume you are starting with an existing similar specced tune?
Have you altered the injector specs? Rated flow. Voltage offsets. Low pulse width adders.
Cylinder size.
Is that the 280 xfi cam?
The startup ve tables id reduce by 50 to 70%
Is there a startup injector base pulse width. I’d raise that by about 25%
Raise the idle speed to 800-1000 just to get it to idle.
Closed throttle timing 20-30 degrees.

Mitch

Fast355
01-23-2019, 04:53 AM
Hi
Basics...
Have you altered the injector specs? Rated flow. Voltage offsets. Low pulse width adders.
Cylinder size.
Is that the 280 xfi cam?

Mitch

I am making the assumption that he is starting with the 5.7 Express van 0411 file. If so many of the settings should already be correct for the base setup. Engine size, Injector size, Injector compensations, etc.

I am attaching an Open Office file with some values of the key tables I was talking about as well as a VE table that should be a fair bit closer than the OEM GM Van table.

Aksl
01-23-2019, 11:08 AM
Hello fast355,

Thank you for your feedback, well, i had a lot of different issues while building my trucks engine and trying to tune it, first i had blackbox and 4R700 trans, it used to idle, but couldn't hold the load and the TB was wide open for it to idle. Than i changed to 4L60E, but some solenoids didn't work, because the wiring i had was chopped everywhere, but at that time i got the engine to idle at 675rpm when hot, it used to choke the first two three first times i try to start it, and had no cold start, but as i hold the pedal and worm it a bit, then try to let go and engine wants to stall, but i don`t let it and rev it a few times, than it starts to hold the idle, and i managed to set it at as low as 650-675rpm with this cam.

At that time i used as a start point a calibration that i got from NISANDRA on this forum, i have just remembered that, will try today to use his calibration, may be a bit better. Where i got the .cal file i used last few times i don`t remember, i think its the 5.7 Express van 0411 file, but then i don`t remember where i got it from, because LEXTECH only uploaded .cal for EFILive tune soft, which is different format. Anyway, my point is that i have had the engine idling at really low rpm quite stable with my 08-467-8 Comp Cam. But now, after changing the wiring and getting everything on with no faults except the alternator L & F circuit fault, but that i guess is because my alternator does not have control by 0411, i couldn`t manage to reach the same idling result.

Here is a .cal i got from NISANDRA, i guess i`ll try using this .cal file as a start point and will start it all over again from scrap today.

Thank you for your feed back and open office excel file provided.

Aksl
01-23-2019, 11:24 AM
Hi
Basics...
Cylinder size.
Is that the 280 xfi cam?

Mitch

Hello Mitch,

Thank you for feedback,

Well, I am using a preset .cal file that i got from internet as a start point, as i have mentioned the last one that i have uploaded at the beginning of the thread, i truly don`t remember where i got from, i will be using the one i got from NISANDRA on this forum from today and will start from scrap all over again.

So i have checked and set the cylinder size, i have not altered the injector specs yet, and i couldn`t find there specs on the net. Voltage offsets and low pulse width adders i haven`t touched either, and to be honest, don`t know which exactly tables in TC to check (what exactly tables are responsible for these indicators).

Yes the cam is the one you have specified, it is the 280 xfi cam!

I will try to find the startup injector base pulse width in the TC.

May be i should make print screens of what lists of options (tables & settings) i have in this .cal when i open it in TC.

Fast355
01-23-2019, 06:56 PM
Hello fast355,

Thank you for your feedback, well, i had a lot of different issues while building my trucks engine and trying to tune it, first i had blackbox and 4R700 trans, it used to idle, but couldn't hold the load and the TB was wide open for it to idle. Than i changed to 4L60E, but some solenoids didn't work, because the wiring i had was chopped everywhere, but at that time i got the engine to idle at 675rpm when hot, it used to choke the first two three first times i try to start it, and had no cold start, but as i hold the pedal and worm it a bit, then try to let go and engine wants to stall, but i don`t let it and rev it a few times, than it starts to hold the idle, and i managed to set it at as low as 650-675rpm with this cam.

At that time i used as a start point a calibration that i got from NISANDRA on this forum, i have just remembered that, will try today to use his calibration, may be a bit better. Where i got the .cal file i used last few times i don`t remember, i think its the 5.7 Express van 0411 file, but then i don`t remember where i got it from, because LEXTECH only uploaded .cal for EFILive tune soft, which is different format. Anyway, my point is that i have had the engine idling at really low rpm quite stable with my 08-467-8 Comp Cam. But now, after changing the wiring and getting everything on with no faults except the alternator L & F circuit fault, but that i guess is because my alternator does not have control by 0411, i couldn`t manage to reach the same idling result.

Here is a .cal i got from NISANDRA, i guess i`ll try using this .cal file as a start point and will start it all over again from scrap today.

Thank you for your feed back and open office excel file provided.

I am not saying that it will not idle lower. Its just easier to tune an engine that does not try to stall every time you come to a stop or turn the steering wheel a few degrees at idle. Once you get the VE table dialed in, turn the MAF on, disable the dynamic blend so that you are running on only the MAF and dial it in, then turn the blend back on, it should be running much better at which point you can play with lowering the idle speed and fine tweaking. When the engine is running at a stable RPM and you get it idling you can actually adjust the idle airflow tables from a cold start through warm engine in both Park/Neutral as well as In-Gear.

Aksl
01-23-2019, 10:10 PM
I see thank you Fast355, i get a bit confused with tables, i satrted updating the tables with the figures you send me in the big cam excel sheet, and as i have said, i`m a beet newbe to tuning, so i get confused with what exactly tables i have to update. I would be gratefull if you can guide me through a little.

I have attached the print screens of what tables i have in my .cal file, and the questions are conserning the tables i have to update.

In the excel there are:

1. MAIN SPARK - is it Spark Table -> Mean Best Timing Spark Advance Vs. Load Vs. RPM in my .cal spark table? (because i don`t even have this table specified in calibration help of TC)

2. IDLE SPARK - is it Spark Table -> Spark Advance Vs. Load Vs. RPM, Open Throt, Low Oct. ?

3. VE TABLE - I gues it is the fuel tables -> Main Volumetric Efficiency Vs. RPM Vs. Map ? (In excel sheet it starts with 27 at 400rpm, in my tune .cal table it starts with 128.20 at 400RPM..., way much over 27, thats why confuses me..)

4. CRANK VE - ok that is fuel tables -> Crank Volumetric Efficiency V. Map Vs. RPM preaty shure of it...

5. IDLE OVERSPEED & IDLE UNDERSPEED - are clear, it is -> Idle controle tables -> Idle Overspeed/Underspeed Spark Advance Correction Vs. RPM Error.

6. IDLE SPEED - is -> Idle controle tables -> Target Idle RPM Vs. Coolant temp.

7. IDLE AIR VOLUME - is -> Idle controle tables -> Idle Air Flow (gm/sec) Vs. Coolant temp Vs. Gear.

I will attach the tables print screens as well to make it 100% clear..

Thank you, for you help and guidance Fast355.

And i guess i will need some guidance here as well:
"Once you get the VE table dialed in, turn the MAF on, disable the dynamic blend so that you are running on only the MAF and dial it in, then turn the blend back on, it should be running much better at which point you can play with lowering the idle speed and fine tweaking. When the engine is running at a stable RPM and you get it idling you can actually adjust the idle airflow tables from a cold start through warm engine in both Park/Neutral as well as In-Gear."
:rolleye:

Aksl
01-23-2019, 10:19 PM
In terms of Mitch`s advises, same thing:

- The startup ve tables id reduce by 50 to 70% - Yes ok, that is what Fast355`s excel table shows..

- Is there a startup injector base pulse width. I’d raise that by about 25% - Yes there is, but to many injector pulse tables, not sure wich one you mean..

- Raise the idle speed to 800-1000 just to get it to idle. - Ok

- Closed throttle timing 20-30 degrees. - Close throtle timing, not sure which exactly table it is..

Sincerely.

Aksl
01-23-2019, 10:51 PM
I am making the assumption that he is starting with the 5.7 Express van 0411 file. If so many of the settings should already be correct for the base setup. Engine size, Injector size, Injector compensations, etc.

I am attaching an Open Office file with some values of the key tables I was talking about as well as a VE table that should be a fair bit closer than the OEM GM Van table.

I have made all changes like in file, except MAIN SPARK & IDLE SPARK, not sure wich exactly table to ubdate for these..

Terminal_Crazy
01-23-2019, 11:20 PM
Hi

I can't help directly with the tables as i don't use TunerCat ( not used in 6-7 years).

The VE table that starts with 128.2
Can you change the view or viewable values of that table? such as percentage.
each byte can hold a value of 0-255
so to me it looks like that's a 50% value.

Mitch

Aksl
01-23-2019, 11:39 PM
Hi

I can't help directly with the tables as i don't use TunerCat ( not used in 6-7 years).

The VE table that starts with 128.2
Can you change the view or viewable values of that table? such as percentage.
each byte can hold a value of 0-255
so to me it looks like that's a 50% value.

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

No ia can not change the values, Tuner Cat doesn`t provide that option, but their is Help on Calibration, that is specifying what are the values in each table, the units in this table are: gm/cyl/sec, here is a print screen..

Aksl
01-23-2019, 11:44 PM
Ow, and the values in the BIG CAM EXCEL file provided by Fast355 are in %, and i just copied them, now have to convert to gm/cyl/sec and update the values. Thanks for noticing that Mitch!

Fast355
01-23-2019, 11:46 PM
I have made all changes like in file, except MAIN SPARK & IDLE SPARK, not sure wich exactly table to ubdate for these..

Main Spark is Spark Advance vs Load vs RPM High Octane

Idle Spark is Base Spark vs Load vs RPM Drive & P/N.

I just noticed I transposed something when I copied it over. For the IDLE RPM, the values for Drive and Park Neutral are swapped. You want a slightly lower idle in gear than in drive that way when the transmission engages the engine idles slightly lower.

I would also zero out the values in the AFR Spark Advance Correction vs AFR vs RPM table, the Idle Flare Startup Spark Advance vs RPM table, the Cat Lightoff Spark Correction vs ERT vs Load table, and finally the EGR Spark Advance Correction vs Load vs RPM table.

Aksl
01-24-2019, 12:05 AM
Main Spark is Spark Advance vs Load vs RPM High Octane

Idle Spark is Base Spark vs Load vs RPM Drive & P/N.

I just noticed I transposed something when I copied it over. For the IDLE RPM, the values for Drive and Park Neutral are swapped. You want a slightly lower idle in gear than in drive that way when the transmission engages the engine idles slightly lower.

I would also zero out the values in the AFR Spark Advance Correction vs AFR vs RPM table, the Idle Flare Startup Spark Advance vs RPM table, the Cat Lightoff Spark Correction vs ERT vs Load table, and finally the EGR Spark Advance Correction vs Load vs RPM table.

Ow, ok, thank you for corrections, i will swap the values in IDLE RPM table with AC on/of for P/N to In gear and vice versa, thank you!

Trying to convert right now the % values to gm/cyl/sec for VE & Crank VE tables..

Fast355
01-24-2019, 12:11 AM
As for your VE table concern, I reversed the equation provided by Tunercats and added it in this new version of the spreadsheet. VE numbers are at the bottom.

Fast355
01-24-2019, 12:14 AM
Ow, ok, thank you for corrections, i will swap the values in IDLE RPM table with AC on/of for P/N to In gear and vice versa, thank you!

Trying to convert right now the % values to gm/cyl/sec for VE & Crank VE tables..

The crank VE tables look normal format to me from your screenshot. To my knowledge the 0411 does not use a crank pulsewidth table. With big cams I always add some extra startup fuel in the low rpm, high map cranking area to get more crank fuel the first few turns.

I have already converted your VE tables in the spreadsheet and reposted it.

Aksl
01-24-2019, 12:20 AM
The crank VE tables look normal format to me from your screenshot. To my knowledge the 0411 does not use a crank pulsewidth table. With big cams I always add some extra startup fuel in the low rpm, high map cranking area to get more crank fuel the first few turns.

Thank you very much Fast355, appreciate your help and guidance!

Sincerely!

Fast355
01-24-2019, 12:28 AM
What are you using for datalogging your setup?

Fast355
01-24-2019, 12:29 AM
Thank you very much Fast355, appreciate your help and guidance!

Sincerely!

No problem. I guess I just try to pay it forward the best I can. I had alot of help and guidance from numerous people 16 years ago when I first started tuning. I always try to return that generosity.

Aksl
01-24-2019, 12:30 AM

Concerning Crank VE, i have this file downloaded from HPtunner forum, that converts the VE to crank VE, may be you will find it usefull..

Aksl
01-24-2019, 12:37 AM
No problem. I guess I just try to pay it forward the best I can. I had alot of help and guidance from numerous people 16 years ago when I first started tuning. I always try to return that generosity.

Wow 16 years experience, i gues i`m very lucky that you have run in to my thread. It is really good and right thing to share your knowledge, personaly i do as well share my experiance with everyone, if evryone would do that, we woul all have been riding on water instead of gas and probably flying, instead of feeding parasites...

Fast355
01-24-2019, 12:39 AM
Wow 16 years experience, i gues i`m very lucky that you have run in to my thread. It is really good and right thing to share your knowledge, personaly i do as well share my experiance with everyone, if evryone would do that, we woul all have been riding on water instead of gas and probably flying, instead of feeding parasites...

Not trying to brag at all but I have tuned many platforms and I try to learn more all the time.

GM CCC Q-Jet
GM TBI
GM TPI
GM LT1
GM Vortec
GM LS
JTEC & NGC Dodge
Nissan/Infiniti OBD2
Ford OBD1
Ford OBD2

Aksl
01-24-2019, 12:47 AM
What are you using for datalogging your setup?

Missed out your question, for data logging i`m using chineese Tech II, but thinking of going to ELM 327 USB addapter with ScanMaster ELM 2.1 software...

Becouse i can not write a file with the Tech II, and as well every time i shut the ignition and then start carnking the engine the tech II shuts of and i have to start it and choose a vehicle information again..

and with ScanMaster ELM 2.1 i should be able to log the startup of the engine and as well save the logging onfo to excel shit, to analyse later on.

What would you recomend for logging?

Aksl
01-24-2019, 12:55 AM
Not trying to brag at all but I have tuned many platforms and I try to learn more all the time.

GM CCC Q-Jet
GM TBI
GM TPI
GM LT1
GM Vortec
GM LS
JTEC & NGC Dodge
Nissan/Infiniti OBD2
Ford OBD1
Ford OBD2

Well, thats a hell of a list of engine gens..., i have only downloaded & uploaded calibration files to cars like smart fortwo brabus calibration, WV Tiguan, TLC200, Nissan NP300, and a few more, and some bikes. I`m really just starting to open up a calibration and trying to learn to edit it, analyse and upgrade. I would like to learn making a calibration from scrap. But for now Just first steps in this world with my own truck project..

Thank you for beeng so nice and helpfull!!!

Fast355
01-24-2019, 12:59 AM
Missed out your question, for data logging i`m using chineese Tech II, but thinking of going to ELM 327 USB addapter with ScanMaster ELM 2.1 software...

Becouse i can not write a file with the Tech II, and as well every time i shut the ignition and then start carnking the engine the tech II shuts of and i have to start it and choose a vehicle information again..

and with ScanMaster ELM 2.1 i should be able to log the startup of the engine and as well save the logging onfo to excel shit, to analyse later on.

What would you recomend for logging?

I used ScanXL Pro on my Dodge.

https://www.palmerperformance.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=36

What I like about ScanXL is the ability it has to make history tables and really get in depth with data analysis within the software itself.

Aksl
01-24-2019, 01:17 AM
I used ScanXL Pro on my Dodge.

https://www.palmerperformance.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=36

What I like about ScanXL is the ability it has to make history tables and really get in depth with data analysis within the software itself.

I see, i will consider it, will watch some youtube and read about it, thank you, may be I will just buy that. As i understood, i can simply use an ELM327 ODB II wire with it? Is that so?

I prefer cable adapters, they are more stable.

PlayingWithTBI
01-24-2019, 01:27 AM

GM CCC Q-Jet
GM TBI
GM TPI
GM LT1
GM Vortec
GM LS
JTEC & NGC Dodge
Nissan/Infiniti OBD2
Ford OBD1
Ford OBD2

Fast355 - I see you have tuned Nissan/Infiniti OBD2, have you ever messed with a 2002 Q45 4.5L V8? Mine won't idle under 1300RPM any more. I don't want to step on this thread, maybe I should start a new one?

Aksl
01-24-2019, 01:35 AM
Fast355 - I see you have tuned Nissan/Infiniti OBD2, have you ever messed with a 2002 Q45 4.5L V8? Mine won't idle under 1300RPM any more. I don't want to step on this thread, maybe I should start a new one?

Hello PlayingWithTBI, " I don't want to step on this thread, maybe I should start a new one?" - As you wish, but personaly i don`t mind you using this my thread, as long as it give you help & result! :welcome:

I won`t be any help thaw..

Fast355
01-24-2019, 01:39 AM

When you say it won't idle under 1,300 rpm, do you mean it idles high when warm or it stalls if the rpm drops under 1,300?

The closest I have played with to that setup was my 2011 M56S.

PlayingWithTBI
01-24-2019, 01:49 AM
Thanks Aksl

Fast355, sorry for the confusion, it idles at 1300 and won't go below. I've changed the TB with a used one, a new PCV valve, sprayed contact cleaner all over, nothing. My son checked the codes and, aside from the both banks cats codes which I've had for some time, it says TB position (or something like that).

Fast355
01-24-2019, 02:24 AM
Thanks Aksl

Fast355, sorry for the confusion, it idles at 1300 and won't go below. I've changed the TB with a used one, a new PCV valve, sprayed contact cleaner all over, nothing. My son checked the codes and, aside from the both banks cats codes which I've had for some time, it says TB position (or something like that).

If you can get the actual code I can probably pull the vehicle specific Nissan diagnostic procedure for that code from Infiniti Assist software at work.

PlayingWithTBI
01-24-2019, 02:32 AM
Thanks, it'll be a couple days...

NISANDA
01-24-2019, 02:34 AM
Aksl, im NISANDA the one that send you the file, and its from a Silverado 2001 with the 5.7 vortec not a Express Van, in mexico there made 5.7s with the gen3 411 PCMs.

The file i send you its all parameters Stock (air,fuel,timming etc) except for Vats delete, Rear 02, EGR, EVAP,Cats and air pump delete. (the basic for start up swap).

This file i attach its basically the same but with idle adjustment to get you closer to you cam, some timming added and some more parameters adjusted to get you closer, try it and do a compare with the stock base file to see what i tweak in it.

Hope it helps.:happy:

Aksl
01-24-2019, 08:28 AM
Aksl, im NISANDA the one that send you the file, and its from a Silverado 2001 with the 5.7 vortec not a Express Van, in mexico there made 5.7s with the gen3 411 PCMs.

The file i send you its all parameters Stock (air,fuel,timming etc) except for Vats delete, Rear 02, EGR, EVAP,Cats and air pump delete. (the basic for start up swap).

This file i attach its basically the same but with idle adjustment to get you closer to you cam, some timming added and some more parameters adjusted to get you closer, try it and do a compare with the stock base file to see what i tweak in it.

Hope it helps.:happy:

Hello NISANDA, it is nice to hear from you again, thank you for the .cal file you have provided me earlier, and great thank you for the update, really appreciate!
I will compare the files today, to see and learn the difference, i will as well be going to my truck today, and going to test it, will try uploading the updated .cal files, will see yours, and as well will compare the .cal that i have udated with Fast355's help...

Thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely!

Aksl
01-24-2019, 11:09 AM
What cables are you guys using for data logging, is there any special feature, or chip, or is it just with support for "J1850 VPW" standard and thats all? :popcorn:

Aksl
01-24-2019, 05:11 PM
I will be going to my truck today, will try to upload the newly made .cal files i have, and will report up on the result tonight. It`s -20ºC today, but with pedal applied by ± 20% the truck starts no problem at even lower tempreture.

Aksl
01-24-2019, 11:07 PM
Hello everyone, so i have been to my track today, unfortunately it is parked a bit away from my home, and is parked outside. So it is a bit challenging to work on it every time, not always I’m able to get it in the garage, because most of the times the garage is busy, working on other cars, but anyway, i only could get a few turns and startups of the engine with new uploaded calibrations, because battery died, so i putted it to charge and will go again one of the next few days, and will report.

From these few startups i have done today, well, i uploaded NISANDA`s .cal, it started up with me applying the pedal a bit, couldn`t hold idle by itself, but from what i noticed it didn`t work very stable even applying the gas pedal, it cranked and misfired a bit, and there was no stability during idling, on both .cal`s the updated by NISANDA, and the NISANDA`s file i have been updating with help of FAST355. In fact it worked more stable with the other .cal i have in the beginning of the thread. And FAST355 was absolutely correct, i have remembered where i got that startup .cal file from, it is the "02 ExpressVan 5.7 4L60 DBC stock .cal" that i have downloaded from this thread : http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?1493-2002-TunerCat-Calibration-Files, #4 message by Lextech, it is the stock 02 Express Van 5.7 4L60 base calibration. So i guess i will have to work with that calibration since it has more stable idling. I tried to compare the calibrations of Lextech stock 02 Express Van 5.7 4L60 base .cal, and NISANDA`s, but TunerCat brings a message that the files are different and can`t be compared.

I have got the scanXL with ELM327 wire now, so i will do some logging next time i go to work on my truck, unfortunately could not do that today due to battery that died on me, will do the logging with all .cal files i have. Hope that will bring some understanding of what is happening with the engine while being fired up idling with each of .cal files i have, hope you guys can give me a hand and help me to analyze the logs and .cal files, to understand where the changes are needed to be made.

:jfj::innocent2:

Fast355
01-25-2019, 03:58 AM
Hello everyone, so i have been to my track today, unfortunately it is parked a bit away from my home, and is parked outside. So it is a bit challenging to work on it every time, not always I’m able to get it in the garage, because most of the times the garage is busy, working on other cars, but anyway, i only could get a few turns and startups of the engine with new uploaded calibrations, because battery died, so i putted it to charge and will go again one of the next few days, and will report.

From these few startups i have done today, well, i uploaded NISANDA`s .cal, it started up with me applying the pedal a bit, couldn`t hold idle by itself, but from what i noticed it didn`t work very stable even applying the gas pedal, it cranked and misfired a bit, and there was no stability during idling, on both .cal`s the updated by NISANDA, and the NISANDA`s file i have been updating with help of FAST355. In fact it worked more stable with the other .cal i have in the beginning of the thread. And FAST355 was absolutely correct, i have remembered where i got that startup .cal file from, it is the "02 ExpressVan 5.7 4L60 DBC stock .cal" that i have downloaded from this thread : http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?1493-2002-TunerCat-Calibration-Files, #4 message by Lextech, it is the stock 02 Express Van 5.7 4L60 base calibration. So i guess i will have to work with that calibration since it has more stable idling. I tried to compare the calibrations of Lextech stock 02 Express Van 5.7 4L60 base .cal, and NISANDA`s, but TunerCat brings a message that the files are different and can`t be compared.

I have got the scanXL with ELM327 wire now, so i will do some logging next time i go to work on my truck, unfortunately could not do that today due to battery that died on me, will do the logging with all .cal files i have. Hope that will bring some understanding of what is happening with the engine while being fired up idling with each of .cal files i have, hope you guys can give me a hand and help me to analyze the logs and .cal files, to understand where the changes are needed to be made.

:jfj::innocent2:

I bet the Mexico truck uses the 85mm LS MAF. Do a comparison between the two. Update the MAF frequency vs flow table to the Vortec van one.

I do not see how more airflow, more idle speed and more timing around idle would not have a positive effect.

Aksl
01-25-2019, 02:44 PM
Thank you Fast355, since i can not do a comparison in TunerCat, but hopefully TunerCat let`s you print data to .txt or via printer settings to .pdf and compare it, i will compare all tables between the Mexican Truck calibration & Express Van, and will report.

Sincerely.

NISANDA
01-25-2019, 11:27 PM
The file i send you, its has NO fuel adjusment at all, just idle and timming you have to do the fuel, and it uses the same delphi maf same as a 5.3 LM7 Ls engine, calibrated diferently (Stock) for the 5.7 liter air flow, unplug the Maf soo it convert to MAP and see how it work, (you need to adjust fueling regarles).

Aksl
01-26-2019, 11:39 PM
I have saved the both calibrations in PDF and transformed to Exel sheet, made comaparison as pdf files, and manualy whent through all of the tables transfered to excel files and copied out the tables and parameters where both calibrations have difference. They both have quit a few differences in calibrations.
In the attachement i post everything i have done to compare, the pdf with comparison, the excel`s (they are a bit hard to go through and only possible to compare manualy, since while transformation they ended up as tables on different sheets.) and my manualy made file where i copied all of the differences from the two calibration files for a better view.(most of the parameters and tables are the same, butstill some are different:

Tables:
- Fuel Gauge Sender Output %PWM Vs. % Fuel Level
- Primary Fuel Level Vs Fuel Gauge Sender A/D Counts
- Installed Options Matrix Vs. Platform Type
- Tip-In Max Delta Torque Vs. Gear (the Express Van .cal doesnt have this table at all)
- Prime Pulse Fuel Mass Vs. Coolant Temp.
- Normal Crank Fuel/Air Eq. Ratio Vs. Cool. Temp. Vs. Time
- Rich/Lean O2 Volts (mv) Threshold Vs. Air Flow Mode Vs. Bank
- MAF Sensor Air Flow Vs. Output Frequency (Cont.)
- Fuel Pressure Correction Factor Vs. Battery Voltage
- MAF Sensor Air Flow Vs. Output Frequency
- Park-Drive Open Loop Equiv. Ratio Decay Multiplier Vs. ECT
- Open Loop Equiv. Ratio Decay Multiplier Vs. ECT
- Park-Drive Open Loop Equiv. Ratio Correction Vs. ECT
- Open Loop Equiv. Ratio Correction Vs. ECT
- Main Volumetric Efficiency Vs. RPM Vs. MAP (Cont.)
- Main Volumetric Efficiency Vs. RPM Vs. MAP
- Main Volumetric Efficiency Vs. RPM Vs. MAP (Cont.)

And as well constant parameters (but those are easyer to check in PDF comparison):

- Idle Control Parameters
- Spark Parameters
- Diagnostic Parameters
- Transmission Parameters
- Fuel Parameters
- Auxiliary Output Diagnostics
- Auxiliary Input Diagnostics (Cont.)
- Emissions Control Diagnostics

Very time-consuming process, but good for me to get to know the tables and parameters in calibrations, too bad without really knowledge of influence of these tables and parameters on the function of the engine, well not all, some i do already know and understand, but it is probably 5% max of all in the calibration. But anyway, I wanted to clearly see the difference between the calibrations i have...

Aksl
01-27-2019, 06:16 PM
Ok so today i went and tried again with different calibrations to give it a try, since my battery was all charged. Well with a lot of tries i killed the battery again, couldn’t get it to start and idle correctly, with the NISANDA`s calibration it started, couldn’t idle but holding and playing with throttle kept it being a live, but it really made a lot of misfires to the exhaust so i guess the ignition gives a very advance spark.
With the Express Van file that i have corrected using Fast355`s BIGCAM Excel file, the engine started right up and went to high RPM, i guess of 1600rpm that is set in the calibration, but then just died, it did that every time, every time a nice good start rising rpm until a certain point and the just off. Unfortunately, i couldn’t get the scanXL to work, it gave me an error 109 couldn`t find the ODBII interface via cable, it sees the cable but not the PCM, may be is because i do not have the Ground signal connected to my ODBII port, i only have the ground, but my TechII worked fine with just ground (another issue that i have to solve) to get the log.

Fast355 - If you have any thoughts, why the engine revs up until some rpm and then just shuts, not even reacting anyhow on throttle?

Aksl
01-28-2019, 08:39 AM
The file i send you, its has NO fuel adjusment at all, just idle and timming you have to do the fuel, and it uses the same delphi maf same as a 5.3 LM7 Ls engine, calibrated diferently (Stock) for the 5.7 liter air flow, unplug the Maf soo it convert to MAP and see how it work, (you need to adjust fueling regarles).

Hello NISANDA, ok i see, will try to next time i go deal with my truck, yesterday i couldn't even got it started to move it, if before it would start with pedal aplied and i could move it, then yesterday it started with a lot of misfires and couldn't hold a steady idle at all..

If you have a link to a source where i can read about the process of unplaging Maf to convert in to Map and adjust fueling regardless of Maff, please share it. Thatnk you

NISANDA
01-28-2019, 11:04 PM
Just disconect the Maf and its should automatically start using the Map.

Fast355
01-29-2019, 05:37 AM
Any chance VATS got enabled somehow?

Aksl
01-29-2019, 10:52 AM
Just disconect the Maf and its should automatically start using the Map.

Ok, thank you! will try to adjust the fueling this way and then just plug back in the MAF.

Aksl
01-29-2019, 12:30 PM
Any chance VATS got enabled somehow?

I doubt it, checked the calibration, the error on VATS is turned off, i attach the screen shot and my calibration file.

Aksl
01-31-2019, 11:13 PM
Ok, if no other advice, i will be dancing with the tambourine around my truck this weekend, will report on the results...

Aksl
02-03-2019, 08:29 PM
Hey evryone,

So, I have been dancing with the tambourine around my truck today, and found a few problems that I had, due to which I got OBD2 with scanXL not connecting to the interface and ECM. And the second problem, why the truck would just start rev and die on me at a certain rpm.

1. The ScanXL - I had both the pin 4 (ground) and pin 5 (Low Bus -) connected to the ground from ECM (to Low Bus-). As soon as I connected the pin 4 from OBD2 to ground mass of the chassis, the ScanXL got connected and started reading and logging.

2. The rev up to a certain RPM and shut off - I found that on top of the plastic manifold I had the vacuum hole opened somehow, since I have the brake booster swapped to hydraulic one, I have shut the vacuum tube (closed it), well the tube connector unplugged, so I had a vacuum leak, vacuum hole I would say. As soon as I have reconnected it back, the truck started running again.

But I still didn`t get it to idle without accelerating.

So here are the log files that I have took of starting the engine and idling with accelerator pedal involved. The name off the log file contains the used cal file setting and the MAF connected and disconnected.

a. I used the Express Val cal file with updated settings from Fast355 BIGCAM excel file and MAF connected.

b. And I used the NISANDA`s cal file with changes he made for me to run my cam, one log with MAF on, other with MAF connector off (in MAP only) which made the truck work very stable, but no idle and startup without accelerating. And log with MAF reconnected again.

Fast355 since you are using scanXL could you please have a look at my log files, I will be studying them as well to try and figure them out, but you have a lot of experience and I’m sure will see what is happening straight away. All logs are taken with the truck in key off position, and then started using accelerator pedal.

I as well attach the both calibration files i used.

Sincerely,

thank you.

Sorry didn`t notice, the log files were not loaded, had to zip them to load here...

Aksl
02-09-2019, 07:46 PM
Hello Fast355, sorry for bothering, i wonder, could you please share your ScanXL config file please?

With set up (configured) tables and graphics that you use..

Sincerely.

Aksl
02-12-2019, 01:21 AM
Hello Fast355, if you have a minute to help me setup scanxl config or share your knowledge on pid's you use to config map tables in order to see and analyze what changes to make to the tune file, i am a bit lost here. Thank you

Aksl
03-25-2019, 08:48 PM
Hi everyone, well unfortunately i,m totaly stuck with my project. I have downloaded a few programs for logging, tried to log and record it, did alot ot reading, and from what i understood is that i have to create and set my own PID for tables in logging software to have identical format info in tables as my tunercat, to make correct changes in tables/figures. Unfortunately i cant figure how to set the correct pids, and couldnt get any support from scanxl company or enter their forum, not much info in the net, hopefully I didn't buy scanxl, found a patched version, otherwise it would be a disaster, spending 150bucks and no result and support.
If any one could advice a logging software with dissent faq instructions and support, i would really appreciate it.
I got hptuner from a friend to use vcm scanner but it cant detect the obd protocol, may be because my EBCM is not connected, or may be due to roadrunner installed, so i'm really stuck in one place...(((

TunerCat OBDll Guy
03-25-2019, 09:32 PM
what parameter IDs are you trying to log?

Aksl
03-25-2019, 11:32 PM
I'm trying to log the VE, Spark advance/retard, stft, ltft.. I'm running rich, have bad startup and no cold idling (where the truck runs at higher rpm until warms up a little), can't start not touching the accelerator..((