PDA

View Full Version : ALDL interface - 89 S10 to Bluetooth?

89S10_Project
08-10-2018, 04:11 PM
Folks-

I am going to build a Android tablet (or possibly Raspberry Pi) to mount in my dash to, among other things, use ADLDroid to capture data. I have a Windows laptop, can and have used it to capture, but it would be MUCH more convenient to go with a tablet/RPI setup....

(don't worry about that, I know where to find help on that front)... I told you that, to tell you this..

I want to be able to get the data from the vehicle to the tablet. So I will need an interface of some sort. I have a 1989 S10 Blazer (that thinks it's an 89 C1500 with a 5.7/700R4). Obviously I will interface to the same chassis harness wires to get the ALDL info, but how would i squawk those to, say, a Bluetooth module?

notime2d8
08-10-2018, 06:23 PM
The easiest is to go with a cable from the link below or find one on ebay. They have Bluetooth and USB. I used a USB one to an android stick and from there to a 5 inch LCD screen.

http://www.reddevilriver.com/ALDL_Bluetooth.html

89S10_Project
08-10-2018, 06:51 PM
The easiest is to go with a cable from the link below or find one on ebay. They have Bluetooth and USB. I used a USB one to an android stick and from there to a 5 inch LCD screen.

http://www.reddevilriver.com/ALDL_Bluetooth.html

I have already built a cable, and see no reason to spend $80 for a damn cable. That is frankly, ludicrous.

However you do bring a good point- if there is a way to do this with a cable that will attach to USB Mini-B on a device that doesn't do USB Host, then I am all ears.

notime2d8
08-10-2018, 08:33 PM
I have already built a cable, and see no reason to spend $80 for a damn cable. That is frankly, ludicrous.

However you do bring a good point- if there is a way to do this with a cable that will attach to USB Mini-B on a device that doesn't do USB Host, then I am all ears.

Are you saying the Bluetooth one in the link is not what you want to do to get it wireless?

There are instructions online on how to make a bluetooth ALDL adapter too with a bluetooth FTDI chip, but i can't find them at the moment.

And are you trying to use a device that doesn't support USB host or it only has a USB mini-B port? When i used my android stick to do this it only had a mini-B port, i had to get a $3 adapter (Link (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-Male-to-USB-2-0-Female-Host-OTG-Adapter-Cable/151400192500?epid=1909185096&hash=item23402799f4%3Ag%3Afg4AAOSwEfBbazWI&_sacat=0&_nkw=usb+mini+to+host&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313)) that goes from mini-b to a full USB female. This allowed me to use the USB cable that I already had.

89S10_Project
08-11-2018, 01:29 AM
I think I was a bit confused, honestly.

As it happens, you have given me a lot of ideas. I didn't have my idea straight (don't actually have the RPI in hand yet, it arrives Sunday). It has onboard USB, I may need to use an external USB hub to support everything I want to do, but that is hardly difficult.

I will have to look into this "android stick"? I am sure you know, but USB Host is far more than just the gender of the connection.